XPEnology Community

Automated RedPill Loader (ARPL)

fbelavenuto

I have problem finding my NAS after running through the ARPL steps. Im trying to run a bare metal NAS on AMD 3400G with an onboard NIC (RTL8111H), 4 HDDs and the USB for the bootloader. I have tried version v0.5-alpha1 of ARPL, and also the latest 1.1-beta2 with following DS918/DS920/DS3622xs using build 42962.

I can't find my NAS through Synology Assistant or https://finds.synology.com/. It doesnt appear at all. I can see it for a very brief time via my router network map but then it disappears. I have previously been running DSM 6 withJun 1.04b without any problems. 

Any ideas what could be the problem? 

56 minutes ago, Xandyr said:

I have problem finding my NAS after running through the ARPL steps. Im trying to run a bare metal NAS on AMD 3400G with an onboard NIC (RTL8111H), 4 HDDs and the USB for the bootloader. I have tried version v0.5-alpha1 of ARPL, and also the latest 1.1-beta2 with following DS918/DS920/DS3622xs using build 42962.

I can't find my NAS through Synology Assistant or https://finds.synology.com/. It doesnt appear at all. I can see it for a very brief time via my router network map but then it disappears. I have previously been running DSM 6 withJun 1.04b without any problems. 

is a common problem sometimes with ARPL
try TCRP without friend
i had same on my Baremetal installaton in HP GEN8

today i discovery that disk SMR have bad write speed performance, yes, i dont know before i buy one.

anyways i try some settings with proxmox and ARPL for to fix something,if i can,  and i discovery this:

i try some disk settings for to passthru  disk to my DSM VM.

my disk is a  segate desktop backup+ 6tb USB

i pass the disk with qm set ID -scsi (or -sata) /dev/.... etc etc

i read that SMR disk start to lose write speed when u start to write some data on it... at 100% free space disk look a normal disk and normal speed. i notice that a single 100gb  file writed on a 6tb disk is enough for to start to lose performance so if u want to test disk and have a new free disk, first, copy at least 100gb data on it than start tests

the command i use in DSM shell is:

fio --name TEST --eta-newline=5s --filename=temp.file --rw=write --size=60g --io_size=100g --blocksize=1024k --ioengine=libaio --fsync=10000 --iodepth=32 --direct=1 --numjobs=1 --runtime=300 --group_reporting

test file is 60gb and this are results with settings i try:

-scsiX, cache (write back) , discard yes, IO yes, ssd emulation no
WRITE: bw=63.4MiB/s (66.4MB/s), 63.4MiB/s-63.4MiB/s (66.4MB/s-66.4MB/s), io=19.5GiB (21.0GB), run=315600-315600msec

-scsiX cache (write back), discard no, IO yes, ssd emulation no
WRITE: bw=63.4MiB/s (66.5MB/s), 63.4MiB/s-63.4MiB/s (66.5MB/s-66.5MB/s), io=19.5GiB (21.0GB), run=315426-315426msec

-scsiX, cache disabled, discard yes, IO yes,ssd emulation no
WRITE: bw=108MiB/s (113MB/s), 108MiB/s-108MiB/s (113MB/s-113MB/s), io=31.6GiB (33.9GB), run=300217-300217msec

look first 3 tests , cache enabled slowing the disk and discard has no effect

-sataX, cache disabled, Discard yes, IO n.a., ssd emulation no
 WRITE: bw=120MiB/s (126MB/s), 120MiB/s-120MiB/s (126MB/s-126MB/s), io=35.1GiB (37.7GB), run=300135-300135msec

i notice now: sata is better than scsi,but discard yes or not continue with no differences  on HDD. i read trim help a SMR and we know  discard is a trim command, so, why no affect tests? maybe trim is not enabled in syno OS becouse its a HDD so a try to emulate it like a ssd and see if work:

-sataX, cache disabled, discard yes, io n.a., ssd emulation yes
WRITE: bw=133MiB/s (140MB/s), 133MiB/s-133MiB/s (140MB/s-140MB/s), io=39.0GiB (41.9GB), run=300104-300104msec

so.. for my test, best settings for a SMR disk on proxmox VM and DSM is last one:

pass the disk to vm with sata mode, disable cache, enable ssd emulation, enable discard (trim)

133 mb/s is like a normal HDD, disk continue to have some random peak low speed (less than 1 sec long) but average is good enough.

just for fun, test the disk with win11 out of box, format it , copy 100 gb data for to start low performace mode and start speed test.

write speed on win11 is 60-80mb/s , always 60gb test file, 5 test runs. same speed of test with cache enabled on proxmox

sorry for long post, what do u guys think? can someone try it too?

Edited by frezeen

7 часов назад, frezeen сказал:

what do u guys think?

I think that SMR drives are totaly useless SH*T. And what difference you expect from discard/trim? When PMR cache zone is overloaded, SMR drives are choked, rewriting data in SMR append-only zones. ZBC/ZAC (Zoned SATA/SCSI Command set) can help a bit, but not too much, and TRIM commands are not translated into ZBC/ZAC.

So: SMR drives are slow and barely usable in NAS in all common scenarios and nothing can help with it. It's better to replace them with PMR drives.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Chief said:

I think that SMR drives are totaly useless SH*T. And what difference you expect from discard/trim? When PMR cache zone is overloaded, SMR drives are choked, rewriting data in SMR append-only zones. ZBC/ZAC (Zoned SATA/SCSI Command set) can help a bit, but not too much, and TRIM commands are not translated into ZBC/ZAC.

So: SMR drives are slow and barely usable in NAS in all common scenarios and nothing can help with it. It's better to replace them with PMR drives.

i have a 8tb drive too , not SMR , wirte speed is about 170mb/s ... SMR out of box at 60mb/s is ******* for sure how u said, SMR at 133mb/s with that setting is not that bad .. but.. its normal a PMR drive is better how 2x ssd raid 0 is more better too. the post is NOT for to say: "oh... my ,useless for NAS , SMR disk is mega super wonderfull now"

anyways, for me, setting do a big difference.. my lan is 1gbits/s (110mb/s) , i can transfer files at full speed to nas now.. with my SMR drive i cant it without that settings, and , i cant with real syno too (or ARPL bare installation) with this disk maybe

Edited by frezeen

23 hours ago, altas said:

check 

with friend is a little helper to build the loader, but my installation was not working with it.. so i used the old way.

Thanks, but still cant get it to work. Now I cant even build the loader...

What I did:

- Download TCRP and Write Image to the USB Flash Drive

- ./rploader.sh update (clicked Y)

- ./rploader.sh fullupgrade (clicked Y)

- ./rploader.sh identifyusb (clicked Y)

- ./rploader.sh serialgen DS3622xs+

- ./rploader.sh satamap (here I cant change the SataPortMap or DiskIdxMap. I have tried with different numbers to add as per the recommended settings, Recommended settings: SataPortMap=4 DiskIdxMap=00). And I dont understand how to manually edit and save it either via command vi user_config.json

- ./rploader.sh build broadwellnk-7.1.0-42661 (says "platform not found"). 

What do I miss here? 

On 4/28/2023 at 12:27 PM, puls200 said:

enter

- ./rploader.sh build

and you will see the platforms are called, instruction old.

Ok thanks.

So after typing in ./rploader.sh build and seeing what platforms there are I type in:

./rploader.sh build <correct build>?

What about my question regarding command ./rploader.sh satamap and how to actually change this to the recommended settings? I can figure out how to do the correct changes. 

2 hours ago, Xandyr said:

Ok thanks.

So after typing in ./rploader.sh build and seeing what platforms there are I type in:

./rploader.sh build <correct build>?

What about my question regarding command ./rploader.sh satamap and how to actually change this to the recommended settings? I can figure out how to do the correct changes. 

TCRP FRIEND can be built in menu method like ARPL.

https://github.com/PeterSuh-Q3/tinycore-redpill/releases

And, this is the place to discuss ARPL.

For inquiries about TCRP or M SHELL for TCRP, please click here.

• Like 1

Hi there,

I would like to say that the install of this on my PC was SO !!!! simple compared to JUNs and others available here.

DSM 7.1.1-42962 Update 5

DS918+

motherboard ASROCK H97 anniversary

INTEL Celeron J3455

3.6 GHz

cores 4

memory 6144 MB

I had Juns v6 installed before and that was working Great, but wanted to update it, I tried some others from here but found them complicated.

So I used this one and haven't looked back. Its great.

Thank to all have made this loader happen and fbelavenuto the Developer

Hi,

I've just reinstalled using ARPL and it went without issue. However, I've noticed a memory usage in Proxmox reporting 6GB @idle whereas DSM is reporting 700MB @idle.

Is this an issue with the ARPL loader or my VM config? I've used TCRP without this issue but thought I'd try ARPL for a new VM instance...

Many thanks

Platform: Proxmox VM

Loader: ARPL v1.1-beta2a

Build: DS3622xs+

CPU: 6C/12T

Memory: 4GB min - 16GB max

On 4/29/2023 at 3:37 PM, Peter Suh said:

TCRP FRIEND can be built in menu method like ARPL.

https://github.com/PeterSuh-Q3/tinycore-redpill/releases

And, this is the place to discuss ARPL.

For inquiries about TCRP or M SHELL for TCRP, please click here.

Life saver! Used the method with TCRP FRIEND and could find the NAS and migrate my system. Now its up and running with latest DSM 7 :)

Thank you very much!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, loveburn said:

Anyone tried update DSM 7.1.1 to 7.2 RC on ARPL?

using arpl-i18n v23.4.5 worked just fine (fresh install). Running the new DSM 7.2-64551 (RC)

Edited by JNNog
forgot to mention if it was update or fresh install

1 hour ago, manepape said:

Hi, How to change menu from chines to french or English in 

tinycore-redpill-uefi.v0.9.4.3-2.m-shell.img.

Thanks in advance.

Type "L" on your keyboard, it should select language menu. Hit enter and change your language.

On 4/26/2023 at 2:14 PM, Xandyr said:

I have the same problem, with a Gigabyte B150M-D3H DDR3, if I create the bootloader for a DS3615XS, when loading DSM, it seems to do a NIC reset, but the NIC doesn't link again, so Synology Assistant doesn't work. it finds it, on the other hand if I use the DS 3622xs+ model it also resets the NIC, but it does link and I can find it with the asistant, the fact is that I have created the bootloader flash drive 10 times and none of them have worked well for me with the DS3615xs...and it has always worked with the DS3622xs+, the NIC on this board is an Intel...

Edited by jcgechevarria

On 4/30/2023 at 1:27 PM, CopeyJC said:

Hi,

I've just reinstalled using ARPL and it went without issue. However, I've noticed a memory usage in Proxmox reporting 6GB @idle whereas DSM is reporting 700MB @idle.

Is this an issue with the ARPL loader or my VM config? I've used TCRP without this issue but thought I'd try ARPL for a new VM instance...

Many thanks

Platform: Proxmox VM

Loader: ARPL v1.1-beta2a

Build: DS3622xs+

CPU: 6C/12T

Memory: 4GB min - 16GB max

Is anyone able to shine some light on this please? Memory usage is reporting 12GB today.

thanks