XPEnology Community

Automated RedPill Loader (ARPL)

fbelavenuto

This tool really is the easiest way to install RP - I spun up a test 3622xs+ on 7.1.1RC using ESXI, all within my lunch hour. Would have been a lot quicker if I didn't need to check a couple of disk mapping entries. ESXi SATA controller has 30 slots detected by ARPL, so initially no drives detected. But I changed SataPortMap=28 (2 ports on controller 0, 8 ports on controller 1) and DiskIdxMap=1B00 (disks start numbering on controller 1). 

My broad steps:

1. Download arpl.vmdk from github and upload it to datastore on Esxi.
  2. Follow Flyride's TCRP on ESXi guide to prep a VM in Esxi:
    • Creating a DSM Virtual Machine, Part 1
    • Preparing the TCRP Image (substitute the trcp.vmdk for the arpl.vmdk of course)
    • Creating a DSM Virtual Machine, Part 2 ( also increased the size of the boot disk to 500mb as mentioned in recent posts)
  3. From here, I booted the VM and went trhough arpl menu.sh as per normal, with addition of SataPortMap & DiskIdxMap above. I also chose the 7.1.1. RC build.

After booting DSM, it went through new install process (I downloaded the 7.1.1 RC pat). Everything installed fine, boot time for DSM is super quick as the datastore is on NVMe. Just a small 40GB test system. 

I am now considering converting my main NAS from tcrp-on-esxi to arpl-on-esxi...

Thanks again @fbelavenuto!

• Like 4

48 minutes ago, vbap said:

I am now considering converting my main NAS from tcrp-on-esxi to arpl-on-esxi...

@pocopico@fbelavenuto I am glad ARPL is excellent, because it is! but is there any reason to change or update from existing TCRP builds to ARPL?

btw: one of my favorite parts of arpl is that once its booted successfully, it shows the login ip of your dsm instance. Thats a winner, and I am sure that screen saves a lot of guess work especially for beginners.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, phone guy said:

one of my favorite parts of arpl

One of mine is the web interface at <nasip>:7681  - great for installing on a NUC where I don't have remote mgt available!  Would be icing on the cake if I could enable to always boot the NUC to the ARPL menu, in case I want to make adjustments (or boot to the ARPL menu and then continue to boot the loader if no activity for 5 mins or something). 

1 hour ago, phone guy said:

is there any reason to change or update from existing TCRP builds to ARPL

For me, it's just a consistent usability thing. ARPL's menu is leaner and much easier. 

On 8/4/2022 at 12:13 PM, mmkt said:

@fbelavenuto I tried the loader 0.3a7 with a baremetal install on HPGen8. Still doesn't work, but I think it could be a different error.

Again I can build the loader and find it at synofinder, go to the webpage where I need to install the DSM. Choose the file and afterwards it won't start counting the percentage, I receive an error: Can't formating the disk. The disk was plain before the test, no partitions on it. After my try there are two partitions on the disk (8Gb+2Gb), but they contain no filesystem.

I added the complete bootlog from the server, maybe you will find the problem.

If I deactivate the Broadcom NIC and use my PCI Intel Nic, the formatting of the disk works fine and I can install DSM

hpgen8.log 69.05 kB · 6 downloads

On 8/9/2022 at 1:05 PM, fbelavenuto said:

Yes, you can test.

bad news, still the same behaviour. After my first try I formatted the disk again and was able to install DSM. But after reboot the System comes up with installable. So I get a install loop and the error with "can't format the disk" is back again.

What can I do to help? Another bootlog? Or do we have to cancel the usage of the internal NIC?

Thanks for your hard work. 👍

Edited by mmkt

For the first time I tried ARPL, I had some issue with /tmp files missing while building yesterday.

I tried again this morning with proxmox IMG file extended to 1giga.

The direct build of 7.1.1 RC build failed, unable to patch...

So I built 7.0 42218, it worked, and I applied 7.1.1 RC from GUI, was done, rebooted OK, nothing more to do.

Running on Proxmox VM with a virtual 32Gb disk.

MR06Tbq.png

I installed nothing, but seems to be stable.

Edited by Orphée

3 hours ago, mmkt said:

bad news, still the same behaviour. After my first try I formatted the disk again and was able to install DSM. But after reboot the System comes up with installable. So I get a install loop and the error with "can't format the disk" is back again.

What can I do to help? Another bootlog? Or do we have to cancel the usage of the internal NIC?

Thanks for your hard work. 👍

Please, can you open a issue into github page? It's easier for me to manage. Thanks.

1 hour ago, fbelavenuto said:

New release is cooking:

https://github.com/fbelavenuto/arpl/releases/tag/v0.4-alpha2

Fix little space into partition 3 and adds as "beta" new models: DVA3219, DS1520+, FS2500 and RS4021xs+

@fbelavenuto the loader boot gives me "ip: can't find device eth0" error in the first row (before /dev/sda SATA DOM), i cannot upload a screenshot, doing from terminal "ip a" shows me the device as eno1677677924 and not eth0, testing in a VM on ESXi, vmxnet3 or e1000e no changes.. maybe you could implement in grub_cmd_line the net.ifnames and biosdevname to avoid that error and always have eth0-1-2 names?

17 minutes ago, pigr8 said:

@fbelavenuto the loader boot gives me "ip: can't find device eth0" error in the first row (before /dev/sda SATA DOM), i cannot upload a screenshot, doing from terminal "ip a" shows me the device as eno1677677924 and not eth0, testing in a VM on ESXi, vmxnet3 or e1000e no changes.. maybe you could implement in grub_cmd_line the net.ifnames and biosdevname to avoid that error and always have eth0-1-2 names?

Ok, understood. Please, is it possible for you to open an issue on github to make it easier for me?

I am using Proxmox where i am passing through my 8 port sata controller. (RS4021xs right now) 

The loader detects 2 controllers - a 6port controller (the virtual one i assume) and then my 8 port sata controller on my motherboard. 

But when everything is installed, the disks will start at 7. 

I tried using @Peter Suh my.sh loader and that seemed to find the same 2 controllers, but then satamap it correctly so the drives starts in the right place. 

Can I edit the satamap manually using this loader?

Edited by NooL

35 minutes ago, NooL said:

I am using Proxmox where i am passing through my 8 port sata controller. (RS4021xs right now) 

The loader detects 2 controllers - a 6port controller (the virtual one i assume) and then my 8 port sata controller on my motherboard. 

But when everything is installed, the disks will start at 7. 

I tried using @Peter Suh my.sh loader and that seemed to find the same 2 controllers, but then satamap it correctly so the drives starts in the right place. 

Can I edit the satamap manually using this loader?

sure, put the sataportmap in cmdline

• Like 1

Hi fbelavenuto,

Issue: Network not found - no IP after booting

Tried your installation several times on hp ProDesk 400 G2 ,RTL8111 . Did all options  on 918+ and 920+, without any add-on, (8168/8111) should be included, I read.

But when booting the built loader, no network is available ....

any ideas what I'm doin wrong?

thx a lot Mondi

Not sure if this is a bug or misconfiguration from my side. 

I am running a proxmox setup where i pass trough an Intel-X550. (Dual ports) 

The loader will show the following: 

image.thumb.png.854ddfdeb9d1629b8b942213ad3de2c3.png

The loader started out with netif_num=1 which i changed to 0 based on previous experiences, 

Everything works fine though, it gets an ip and both ports are visible inside dsm, but I am unsure why it wants me to change to netif_num=1 when i have 2 ports. 

Proxmox setup: 

image.png.68b13aa7ea7d5f49c90e00c5ac0c4cfe.png

11 hours ago, NooL said:

but I am unsure why it wants me to change to netif_num=1 when i have 2 ports. 

Please declare the two cmdlines, "mac1" and "mac2". I put this check to hit the "netif_num" variable according to the amount of the "macX" variable.

When there is more than one NIC, I noticed problems in the different recognition order between the loader kernel and the DSM kernel. I still don't know how to solve this problem, so it's manual for now.

• Thanks 1

On 8/21/2022 at 6:12 AM, keasee said:

Hi fbelavenuto,

Issue: Network not found - no IP after booting

Tried your installation several times on hp ProDesk 400 G2 ,RTL8111 . Did all options  on 918+ and 920+, without any add-on, (8168/8111) should be included, I read.

But when booting the built loader, no network is available ....

any ideas what I'm doin wrong?

thx a lot Mondi

No yet! The "r8168" driver is present, it was supposed to have loaded and worked!
Do you have access to a serial port to capture the log and send it to us?