XPEnology Community

Automated RedPill Loader (ARPL)

fbelavenuto

Hello,

I think it's a bad idea to exploit a weak spot on an already non-original and emulated platform that current DSM systems run on.

I also have several CISCO 240 M5L servers with specific LSI controllers that I cannot flash in IT mode, but they can work in JBOD mode and it would be nice to learn how to work all this without PROXMOX, ESXI and similar additional systems.

I'm sure if the developers put in the effort to do this, we can get DSM working on platforms with JBOD.

4 hours ago, iceman said:

Hello,

I think it's a bad idea to exploit a weak spot on an already non-original and emulated platform that current DSM systems run on.

I also have several CISCO 240 M5L servers with specific LSI controllers that I cannot flash in IT mode, but they can work in JBOD mode and it would be nice to learn how to work all this without PROXMOX, ESXI and similar additional systems.

I'm sure if the developers put in the effort to do this, we can get DSM working on platforms with JBOD.

Believe me.. I'd love to get this working bare-metal. 

13 minutes ago, CCitarella said:

I was like that too until I got it running in Proxmox. I prefer the flexibility of running it through a hypervisor. I can spin up another xpenology VM and test new versions without messing with my production VM and I don't have to be at the machine to rebuild a new loader. Another thing is that I can use this new Proxmox machine in my Proxmox cluster to keep all my docker containers running when I have to service my main Proxmox machine.

Is anyone using a CGNAT traversal solution?

In the office I have a genuine DS920+ that works perfectly with QuickConnect and Synology DDNS.

I've managed to convert 2 Lenovo ThinkCentre M600 Tiny PCs into DVA3221, one of them uses DDNS with DYNU.COM with no problems, but the other is behind my ISP's CGNAT (IZZI). I would love to have a similar solution, but I haven't managed it. I do have my domains with cloudflare and read about CloudFlare Tunnels, but I couldn't figure out.

Has anyone solved this problem?

34 minutes ago, abced said:

Check Tailscale.

I'd rather not have to use clients for the devices connecting to the DSM, if possible.

EDIT: Found a youtube video walkthrough for Cloudflare Tunnels, it looks like it might work, I'm just not able to see the login page. 

EDIT2: Nevermind, I was missing the local IP of the DSM, I entered it and now have access to the portal, now I'm just going to create tunnels for SSH

Edited by royeiror

2 hours ago, royeiror said:

I'd rather not have to use clients for the devices connecting to the DSM, if possible.

EDIT: Found a youtube video walkthrough for Cloudflare Tunnels, it looks like it might work, I'm just not able to see the login page. 

EDIT2: Nevermind, I was missing the local IP of the DSM, I entered it and now have access to the portal, now I'm just going to create tunnels for SSH

If you want to use Cloudflare Tunnel and you do not want others to mess with the DSM login page create application policies to protect it.

В 03.03.2023 в 04:37, madeuh сказал:

HI, i've tried to install the last version of the launcher on ESXI 7.

When i launch THE DSm for install i've got the error failed to format disk 

Did you manage to find a solution?

(I have the same problem, I had to switch to TCRP)

On 11/22/2022 at 5:43 PM, Andy Miller said:

I have tried the 2 files in the flat archive without a convert. Esxi just fails to read them as valid files. it reads no size and im unable to save the config until i remove the hard disk.

Its ESXI 8.0 running on a R720XD and i have the virtual machine setup as a linux 5.0 64bit.

image.png.00b66c2ba978da3c0cb8e56315beb97d.png image.thumb.png.903d68223359668a5034a839fa675e18.png

First Post here;

I ran into this exact issue - very frustrating when it happens. After some tests i can confirm that this issue is not with the ARPL vmdk files, arpl.vmdk & arpl-flat.vmdk, but the issue is a bug with the new ESXi Host Client version 2 that was introduced in ESXi v8 and v7 ESXi-7.0U3i (ESXi 7.0 Update 3i). The new web client interface which is the default way to manage a stand-alone ESXi hypervisor. This bug I don't believe is effecting the vCenter Web GUI, however if you have the free version of ESXi embedded hypervisor or you don't have a vCenter server then you would only have access to the ESXi Host Client to manage the hypervisor.

I am running v7 of ESXi and as of today the last update is ESXi-7.0U3k and the bug still has not been resolved. You can see some information as well as some solutions here;

https://williamlam.com/2022/12/heads-up-esxi-8-0-host-client-unable-to-attach-existing-virtual-disk-to-vm.html

The person who wrote the article says that VMware is aware of the issue however the fix is still not in the last update for v7 in Feb 21 2023 ( Build 21313628 )

As for solutions, I am not a big fan of going in to downgrade the web gui vib back to the original v1 ESXi Host Client, the 2nd choice is to get the VMware PowerCLI powershell module installed and manipulate it with that. For me, i have VMware Workstation so i'm going to try to manipulate loading the file by going through Workstation.

I hope this will help some people - there should probably be an alert put in the flat file that there is this issue with ESXi 7.0U3i and 8.x so that people aren't concluding that the problem is with the ARPL files.

thanks

1 час назад, twoj сказал:

I ran into this exact issue ... You can see some information as well as some solutions here;

https://williamlam.com/2022/12/heads-up-esxi-8-0-host-client-unable-to-attach-existing-virtual-disk-to-vm.html

I hope this will help some people - there should probably be an alert put in the flat file that there is this issue with ESXi 7.0U3i and 8.x so that people aren't concluding that the problem is with the ARPL files.

This problem is solved in the ESXi version: 8.0.0 ESXi build number: 21203435 (Client version: 2.10.1 Client build number: 20925449)

But I can't use ARPL on ESXi - failed to format disk hile installing DSM.

Edited by dj_nsk

Anyone had an issue with losing their storage pool or volume after Update 4? I posted about my issue here but the questions subforum doesn't seem to get much traffic. I'm considering moving my HDDs to my Synology DS1817+ as a last resort to rebuilding the volume but I'd love to get any pointers before trying that as a last resort?

On 3/10/2023 at 10:57 AM, CCitarella said:

So just for the heck of it I tried this bare metal install on Dell R510 and IT Mode controller with PeterSuh's version of TCRP v0.9.4.0-1 partition sizeup & modified for M Shell and the system booted with all 3 JBOD disks and installed. Interesting. I will add more disks to it shortly and see if those work too. The previous problem I was having with no more than 2 disks seems to be something with ARPL. 

On 11/4/2022 at 5:46 AM, nemesis122 said:

you have to change in the loader some settings

netif_num :"3" 

mac 1 : 12334566 <-- yor mac adresses 

mac 2: 4554122 <-- yor mac adresses 

mac3 :454654564 <-- yor mac adresses 

Hello,

So i understand the concept here. I just don't know where to specifically put this info

AND

I Have real MAC and Serial, should real MAC go somewhere specific?

@fbelavenuto

I am asking because I am not familiar with the mechanism for recognizing the /dev/synoboot node in ARPL.
Are scripts like TG's boot-wait.sh deprecated in ARPL?

If boot-wait.sh cannot find /dev/synoboot within 30 seconds in TCRP
I modified it to be processed as follows
It's actually working fine.

It is related to the phenomenon that the 55% file corruption message occurs in the middle of DSM installation.

I am curious about the situation of ARPL.

EDIT: SOLVED: It was a bad RAM, go figure.

---

Hey, first of all thanks for developing ARPL!

Long time lurker here so I don't know if this fits here, but I'm using ARPL so I guess it is. Anyways, I'm having a small issue copying files to my NAS, it stops for a while then continues and I decided to see the dmesg and found this:

image.thumb.png.786674d205be57450525ea356a44e4c0.png

And it repeats a lot and ends with this:

image.thumb.png.cba0a167ce2236a86f01e3e3f6fae2b1.png

Google doesn't help much either, so I'm not sure if it's an ARPL-related issue or BTRFS issue. Then again nothing shows up. 

Anybody got any ideas? Thanks!

Edit: I had to use images because the forum kept saying that the message was marked as spam because it contained contacts, which is a blatant lie. Somebody fix the forum pls.

Edited by DARKGuy
I had to use images because the forum kept saying that the message was marked as spam because it contained contacts, which is a blatant lie. Somebody fix the forum pls.

ARPL has made a huge difference in my journey to get DSM virtualized on my Dell Poweredge T550. I thought I would add a few notes here if anyone is trying to get this working with the same hardware.

The T550 came with a Dell PERC H345 RAID controller. I've got this set to JBOD currently as I did not want to do hardware RAID. I wanted to flash IT mode firmware here, but this runs on the newer SAS3416 (SAS 3.5 gen), which so far does not have a flashing guide available.

I had planned on keeping my current Proxmox install and using PCI passthrough to give all of the attached disks to the DSM VM. Unfortunately with the Dell PERC firmware, there are some memory mapping issues that require a lot of tinkering in Proxmox to get around. I switched to ESXi as it is a little more stable and requires less work to PCI passthrough a controller card. 

The next hurdle was getting DSM to recognize the PERC H345. The included megaraid_sas kernel module is a few years old and did not have the correct vendor and device IDs to recognize the H345. I went to Broadcom's support site and downloaded a more recent version of their MegaRAID Linux driver, which includes the megaraid_sas kernel module source code. 

Using the Synology open source DSM 7 kernel source tree and the DSM 7 tool chain, you can build the kernel source to get a newer kernel module that is still compatible with the Linux kernel version DSM uses. After that, I booted ARPL config and edited the ramdisk patch script to also copy over the custom built kernel module. Used wget and a local file server to get the built module copied over. 

Thanks to everyone's hard work and all the documentation available here! It is impressive to see this getting easier to pull off compared to a few years ago.

On 3/10/2023 at 9:37 PM, royeiror said:

Is anyone using a CGNAT traversal solution?

In the office I have a genuine DS920+ that works perfectly with QuickConnect and Synology DDNS.

I've managed to convert 2 Lenovo ThinkCentre M600 Tiny PCs into DVA3221, one of them uses DDNS with DYNU.COM with no problems, but the other is behind my ISP's CGNAT (IZZI). I would love to have a similar solution, but I haven't managed it. I do have my domains with cloudflare and read about CloudFlare Tunnels, but I couldn't figure out.

Has anyone solved this problem?

Use vpn or buy serial number for xpenology

Hello,

Can someone please tell me how i can get 3 nics to work? 

I have board with realtek nic onboard working

I cannot get ANY other card to be shown under networking in dsm...

ive tried x540-t2 and a few others. I've checked bios.

My system using NVR  DVA1622

Edited by Captainfingerbang

2 hours ago, Captainfingerbang said:

that was part of what i wrote here (i also set up a dva1622)

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/65408-automated-redpill-loader-arpl/?do=findComment&comment=438456

-default mod for synoinfo.conf only works with one nic (maxlanport=1), it needs manuall tweaking that is not for beginners, 
it should detect all nic's and set synionfo.conf accordingly or make it 4 as fixed setting - it might also need more when 
it comes to mac adresses (netif_num=1 as default needs to be set to 2 or more and mac2, mac3, ...) - atm its problematic 
to have more then one nic

what you need in the loader is the same as with jun's loader (grub.cfg ), netif_num=3 and mac1=..., mac2=..., mac3=..., in arpl it might be the easier way to use the full editor that comes at the end when configuring the loader to make this changes, the default dialog for the mac address makes it nor very intuitive

that part might get same better implementation/guidance in the loader as its 100% controlled by the loader

but its tricky to get things changed in dsm's synoinfo.conf from the loader (and needs to be doen by the people coding the loader)

the part in the loader config file will make three nic's available from the kernel but to make dsm use it you also need to  change synoinfo.conf, its a old problem and only comes up with units that come with a low default like 918/920/dva1622, in systems that come with pcie slots from synology there is a higher default like 4 or 8 nic's as its possible to add a pcie nic

so you need to at least set maxlanports to three in /etc.defaults/synoinfo.conf an reboot

i think its possible to just set the maxlanports an skip the rest to make it work

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/12679-progress-of-62-loader/?do=findComment&comment=92682

there can be a problem when the onboard nic lands behind the added dual-port nic, as nic3, then dsm will not use the onboard for initial setup but one of the dual ports, so it might be needed to swap the cable around or connect all tree ports to see whats the right one working port

but as we dont have any auto correction from the loader (as done for max disks in 918+ from jun's loader) you will loose the tree ports on updates replacing the synoinfo.conf (non updateX updates, the bigger ones), if you configured static ip's to the nic's and then it will happen that your nic3 onboard is not available anymore and you will need to connect again the port that is nic1 by default to get back access to change synoinfo.conf again, good thing if that port is just dhcp or you know the ip address and netmask so you can configure another computer for that network to access dsm and change synoinfo.conf back to maxlanports="3"

i do have that problem with my main system but as i know about it and can deal with a lot of stuff that can happens it no problem, but most people might correct that once when installing and after a year might have forgotten about that and panic if they "loose connection" to the dsm system after a update

afaik the issue is not addressed in any of the new loaders as its not that common (most business grade types like 3615/3617/3622 come with 4 or more lan ports as default configured)

On 3/19/2023 at 6:39 PM, IG-88 said:

that was part of what i wrote here (i also set up a dva1622)

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/65408-automated-redpill-loader-arpl/?do=findComment&comment=438456

-default mod for synoinfo.conf only works with one nic (maxlanport=1), it needs manuall tweaking that is not for beginners, 
it should detect all nic's and set synionfo.conf accordingly or make it 4 as fixed setting - it might also need more when 
it comes to mac adresses (netif_num=1 as default needs to be set to 2 or more and mac2, mac3, ...) - atm its problematic 
to have more then one nic

what you need in the loader is the same as with jun's loader (grub.cfg ), netif_num=3 and mac1=..., mac2=..., mac3=..., in arpl it might be the easier way to use the full editor that comes at the end when configuring the loader to make this changes, the default dialog for the mac address makes it nor very intuitive

that part might get same better implementation/guidance in the loader as its 100% controlled by the loader

but its tricky to get things changed in dsm's synoinfo.conf from the loader (and needs to be doen by the people coding the loader)

the part in the loader config file will make three nic's available from the kernel but to make dsm use it you also need to  change synoinfo.conf, its a old problem and only comes up with units that come with a low default like 918/920/dva1622, in systems that come with pcie slots from synology there is a higher default like 4 or 8 nic's as its possible to add a pcie nic

so you need to at least set maxlanports to three in /etc.defaults/synoinfo.conf an reboot

i think its possible to just set the maxlanports an skip the rest to make it work

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/12679-progress-of-62-loader/?do=findComment&comment=92682

there can be a problem when the onboard nic lands behind the added dual-port nic, as nic3, then dsm will not use the onboard for initial setup but one of the dual ports, so it might be needed to swap the cable around or connect all tree ports to see whats the right one working port

but as we dont have any auto correction from the loader (as done for max disks in 918+ from jun's loader) you will loose the tree ports on updates replacing the synoinfo.conf (non updateX updates, the bigger ones), if you configured static ip's to the nic's and then it will happen that your nic3 onboard is not available anymore and you will need to connect again the port that is nic1 by default to get back access to change synoinfo.conf again, good thing if that port is just dhcp or you know the ip address and netmask so you can configure another computer for that network to access dsm and change synoinfo.conf back to maxlanports="3"

i do have that problem with my main system but as i know about it and can deal with a lot of stuff that can happens it no problem, but most people might correct that once when installing and after a year might have forgotten about that and panic if they "loose connection" to the dsm system after a update

afaik the issue is not addressed in any of the new loaders as its not that common (most business grade types like 3615/3617/3622 come with 4 or more lan ports as default configured)

so I should have stated my goal to start. All I need is 1 port for 1G and a 2nd for 10gbe.

My (other ARPL build)918+  works oob with 2 nics, but not my  dva1622 ARPL build. 

I've tried x540-t2,and tplink 401 aqc107,and a mellanox on 1622 but no go.

builds

918+ has E5-2680V4 x99 arpl

dva1622 has i3-8100 arpl

another option would be to try DVA3221?

Must I make all changes using SSH in dsm? it's been too long since I've done this!

Where in ARPL does one edit MAXLANPORT? 

Can you edit these perimeters inside ARPL or no?

Edited by Captainfingerbang

On 3/20/2023 at 8:43 PM, andrey9492 said:

his is on latest version for everything.

Didn't get the chance to rebuild the nct6775 driver using the correct version yet ...

4.4.59+ is dsm 6.2

maybe you installed a package that copied the old driver, there is no information what dsm type you installed or what hardware you used and if it was a fresh install or a update

nct6775 files in the loaders \modules\ directory are all ok

check /lib/modules/udpates/ for old files that might need to be deleted

you can also extract the right files manually from the loaders 3rd partition in modules are the tgz files for the platforms, depends on what you installed , 918+ would be apollolake

• Like 1

On 3/20/2023 at 11:01 PM, Captainfingerbang said:

so I should have stated my goal to start. All I need is 1 port for 1G and a 2nd for 10gbe.

My (other ARPL build)918+  works oob with 2 nics, but not my  dva1622 ARPL build. 

I've tried x540-t2,and tplink 401 aqc107,and a mellanox on 1622 but no go.

jusst go into arpl's advaned section, there is a option to viev/edit the whole config file change

netif_num: "3"
  mac1: b42e99743362
  mac2: b42e99743363

mac3: b42e99743364

(choose whatver mac you like, usually you choose the mac's of the real nic's but it can take a 2nd try if you put i the onboard as 1st and find out after booting that you onboard got 3rd after the 2port nic

the part in dsm is just the file /etc.defaults/synoinfo.conf ti change maxlanport to 4

maxlanport="4" and the reboot

vim can be used as editor for that purpose, its kind of cryptic when 1st used but there are ton's of shot intros on how to use it

On 3/20/2023 at 11:01 PM, Captainfingerbang said:

another option would be to try DVA3221?

it depends what you need, if its intel quick sync support then you cant use dva3221 as its ai stuff is nvidia only, no i915 driver

Good afternoon, I need your help, literally 4 months ago active backup for business It worked correctly, after all the updates, it stopped working to the current version, Machine DVA3221. Namely, the storage was gone, although all rights to the folder are present. Tried to reinstall, it didn't work. Accordingly, I can not create a backup task. The destination for the backup is not displayed. Thanks for the answer. To the developers of the bootloader, BOW.