XPEnology Community

Automated RedPill Loader (ARPL)

fbelavenuto

3 hours ago, royeiror said:

You need to enable the module while configuring the loader, then build it, then boot it, then turn the system off. Then plug the USB into another computer, you'll find it there.

Thank you!

Will I still have the chance to recover my current DSM system once I've rebuilt ARPL or there's 100% no way to do that?

10 minutes ago, Cr4z33 said:

Thank you!

Will I still have the chance to recover my current DSM system once I've rebuilt ARPL or there's 100% no way to do that?

Actually... is there a way to manually enable the module if I mount the USB key into ie. an Ubuntu session withouth having to rebuild ARPL? @fbelavenuto please? 🤔

Edited by Cr4z33

6 minutes ago, Cr4z33 said:

Actually... is there a way to manually enable the module if I mount the USB key into ie. an Ubuntu session withouth having to rebuild ARPL? @fbelavenuto please? 🤔

Why do you want to "tweak" things with high chances of issues when the loader itself is powerfull, secure, and the easiest way to apply the change ?

Launch "configure loader" enable the missing module (don't remember wich one), build the loader, boot the loader.

Unless you already manipulated/tweaked the loader manually, it should be straight forward.

Edited by Orphée
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Orphée said:

Why do you want to "tweak" things with high chances of issues when the loader itself is powerfull, secure, and the easiest way to apply the change ?

Launch "configure loader" enable the missing module (don't remember wich one), build the loader, boot the loader.

Unless you already manipulated/tweaked the loader manually, it should be straight forward.

Well I barely know this loader hehe and I just built it in the "standard" way explained to run my NAS.

So what you are saying is that ie. I can remotely access the loader via Web at

http://<ip>:7681

and there do what you just wrote, correct? :D

On 2/7/2023 at 12:32 PM, aoprea said:

I made a clean usb stick with arpl 1.11a and ds3622xs with E3-1265L V2 ... but is the same ... it take ip at begening but after dms kernel loading

it loose IP and not respond to ping ....

Please help me ... thanks

I have the same server, same Xenon CPU and the latest ARPL version and works with no modifications using 3622xs+ model. Both NICs are recognized OOB. Just followed the steps in order to select the options and build the loader. Not sure why you are having the issues. 

not sure whether i'm doing something off ...

i'm using 1.1-beta2 and everything on my DS920+ build is fine.  on boot, it pickups up the DHCP assigned IP 192.168.1.127.

but when i boot up with 1.1-beta2a, the assigned IP is 192.168.1.61 (a different IP).  in past builds, the server never shows up on synology assistant.

when i boot with beta2 stick, the assigned IP appears again.

is the there something new, added in beta2a that messes with the IP assignment?  just wondering.

Hi guy, 

I've updated the arpl loader to v1.1 beta 2a, running DSM 7.1.1-42962 Update 4, model 3622. Everything is fine but I've found that the boot USB is showing in the shared folders of the nas. Is there any way to stop these showing 

TIA

Resizer_16780539523481.jpeg

@fbelavenuto 

Great and good job with the loader!

Hello, here is my problem:

Outcome of the update: SUCCESSFUL / NVMe-Support lost!

- DSM version update: 7.0.1-42218-u6

- Loader version and model: ARPL v1.1-beta2a DS3622xs+

- Using custom extra.lzma: NO

- Installation type: Core i3-6100TE, 24GB RAM, ThinkStation P310, Motherboard: Lenovo IQ1X0MS Workstation, Chipset intel C236

after trying all loader/model-combinations for my workstation over a week, there is only this installation that works, boots quickly and also really turns off the computer when shutting down. However, support for NVMe is gone.

Hope someone can bring clarity to the matter.

Hoping to get some help with update issues.

I was previously running  DSM 7.1.1-42962 DS3622xs+ using arpl-0.1-alpha2 and recently updated to DSM 7.1.1-42962 Update 4 however I made the mistake of not swapping in the new USB I'd made with v1.1-beta2a. Initially, all went went but after a recent reboot I couldn't boot back into DSM. I've tried multiple versions of ARPL but each time I get the migration screen and reinstall DSM, I still end up with not being able to get an etherne t connection that holds. Anyone else have a similar issue or have tips to fix this?

1 hour ago, trublu said:

Hoping to get some help with update issues.

I was previously running  DSM 7.1.1-42962 DS3622xs+ using arpl-0.1-alpha2 and recently updated to DSM 7.1.1-42962 Update 4 however I made the mistake of not swapping in the new USB I'd made with v1.1-beta2a. Initially, all went went but after a recent reboot I couldn't boot back into DSM. I've tried multiple versions of ARPL but each time I get the migration screen and reinstall DSM, I still end up with not being able to get an etherne t connection that holds. Anyone else have a similar issue or have tips to fix this?

i'd similar issues with my ethernet connections with the v1.1 versions.

try selecting all modules (in the advance menu section) before building the loader.

maybe overkill to include all the modules, but the step did resolve the NIC issues for me.

since ARPL 1.03b no ARPL Loader is working at the gen8

what is strange with I3 2cores it is working but  with 1230v2 or Xeon it is not working the same bios same HDD Same RAM only the CPU is different

always Eudev has failed maybe is this releated that the loader not found the USB Stick?

I've been trying to get ARPL working bare metal on a Dell R510 since arpl-1.0-beta6 without success and trying each new release through the current arpl-1.1-beta2a. 

I've tried with various model builds 3622+, 3617, 3615 and early on I was able to get the loader to boot after building and found with Syno Assistant but was never able to get it to install DSM because no disks were found. 

I thought this was because I had an PERC H700 with the disks configured as individual virtual volumes (non-raid but managed by the H700).

After doing some research, I decided to replace the H700 with an H200 flashed in IT Mode. 

On boot, the BIOS sees the individual disks and again I tried the various model builds but now the system just hangs after booting the loader (and is not found in Syno Assistant at all). 

I am just selecting the basic options, not messing with any Addons or Modules when building the loader.

The system is booting with UEFI and I initially tried legacy boot too - but I haven't switched back to legacy since swapping the H200-IT. 

I've also read that others are using a R510 with success here but I'm kinda stuck and not sure what to do next. 

I'm not to savvy with linux but I'm pretty good at following direction - if anyone has any advice to offer - maybe help look at logs or suggest possible next steps to troubleshoot I'd really appreciate the help. 

My main reason for using this hardware is because I have 12X 8TB SAS drives that I'd like to utilize -- that's pretty much the only reason. I have 2 other real Synology 3617xs+ units in production now but since I have these drives just sitting here I wanted to try to put them to use. 

Attached is the screenshot of drives in BIOS being recognized. 

Thanks again for this forum! 

H200_BIOS_Drives.jpg

40 minutes ago, CCitarella said:

I've been trying to get ARPL working bare metal on a Dell R510 since arpl-1.0-beta6 without success and trying each new release through the current arpl-1.1-beta2a. 

I've tried with various model builds 3622+, 3617, 3615 and early on I was able to get the loader to boot after building and found with Syno Assistant but was never able to get it to install DSM because no disks were found. 

I thought this was because I had an PERC H700 with the disks configured as individual virtual volumes (non-raid but managed by the H700).

After doing some research, I decided to replace the H700 with an H200 flashed in IT Mode. 

On boot, the BIOS sees the individual disks and again I tried the various model builds but now the system just hangs after booting the loader (and is not found in Syno Assistant at all). 

I am just selecting the basic options, not messing with any Addons or Modules when building the loader.

The system is booting with UEFI and I initially tried legacy boot too - but I haven't switched back to legacy since swapping the H200-IT. 

I've also read that others are using a R510 with success here but I'm kinda stuck and not sure what to do next. 

I'm not to savvy with linux but I'm pretty good at following direction - if anyone has any advice to offer - maybe help look at logs or suggest possible next steps to troubleshoot I'd really appreciate the help. 

My main reason for using this hardware is because I have 12X 8TB SAS drives that I'd like to utilize -- that's pretty much the only reason. I have 2 other real Synology 3617xs+ units in production now but since I have these drives just sitting here I wanted to try to put them to use. 

Attached is the screenshot of drives in BIOS being recognized. 

Thanks again for this forum! 

H200_BIOS_Drives.jpg

It locks up right here after booting.. (see image)

2023-03-08_112806.jpg

14 minutes ago, CCitarella said:

It locks up right here after booting.. (see image)

2023-03-08_112806.jpg

Only install 2 drives and see if it boots. I had this problem, once I added a 3rd drive it would do exactly like you describe. I gave up on bare metal and installed Proxmox and passed the drives into a VM and it booted right up.

1 hour ago, w84no1 said:

Only install 2 drives and see if it boots. I had this problem, once I added a 3rd drive it would do exactly like you describe. I gave up on bare metal and installed Proxmox and passed the drives into a VM and it booted right up.

Eek. 2 drives? Ok I'll give that a try tonight, do you think that's a software issue with the ARPL then and not a hardware config problem? Just curious. Thanks for your reply. I'd be curious how to use Proxmox to accomplish what you did, but I haven't looked into it much. 

21 hours ago, CCitarella said:

Eek. 2 drives? Ok I'll give that a try tonight, do you think that's a software issue with the ARPL then and not a hardware config problem? Just curious. Thanks for your reply. I'd be curious how to use Proxmox to accomplish what you did, but I haven't looked into it much. 

Holy crap you're absolutely right on this! 2 Drives it boots and is found in Synology Assistant and allows me to install DSM. What is this all about? Do I have to virtualize it? Or is there a fix or a setting to get ARPL to work with more than 2 disks? So weird. 

10 minutes ago, CCitarella said:

Holy crap you're absolutely right on this! 2 Drives it boots and is found in Synology Assistant and allows me to install DSM. What is this all about? Do I have to virtualize it? Or is there a fix or a setting to get ARPL to work with more than 2 disks? So weird. 

I couldn't find a fix, so I virtualized my NAS. I used pci-passthrough on Proxmox to pass through my sata controllers. I have a 2port pci-e controller for the Proxmox boot drive and I passthrough my motherboard sata controller to the xpenology VM. I have all 7 of my drives connected and working.

1 minute ago, w84no1 said:

I couldn't find a fix, so I virtualized my NAS. I used pci-passthrough on Proxmox to pass through my sata controllers. I have a 2port pci-e controller for the Proxmox boot drive and I passthrough my motherboard sata controller to the xpenology VM. I have all 7 of my drives connected and working.

I'll have to do more research on that. So that means the drives (for DSM) are not virtual disks then? Am I understanding that correctly? 

Did you follow a tutorial or something to learn how to do that? I'm pretty familiar with VMWare but not ProxMox. But, yes - - - - I'd love to put these 12X 8TB SAS drives to good use. They're just sitting here and if I could get them in a DSM box that would be great. 

3 minutes ago, CCitarella said:

I'll have to do more research on that. So that means the drives (for DSM) are not virtual disks then? Am I understanding that correctly? 

Did you follow a tutorial or something to learn how to do that? I'm pretty familiar with VMWare but not ProxMox. But, yes - - - - I'd love to put these 12X 8TB SAS drives to good use. They're just sitting here and if I could get them in a DSM box that would be great. 

I used this to get xpenology running in Proxmox. https://hotstuff.asia/2023/01/11/xpenology-with-arpl-on-proxmox-the-pro-way/

Then I used the Proxmox documentation to get the pci-e passthrough working. https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/PCI(e)_Passthrough