XPEnology Community

Automated RedPill Loader (ARPL)

fbelavenuto

I used ARPL 1.1 beta 2 to upgrade from DS3617xs 6.2 to DS3622xs+ 7.1. Everything worked and I updated my packages.  I rebooted and it will not come back up. I have 7 disks and it will come back up if  I only have 2 or less drives installed.  As soon as I add a 3rd disk it will not work.  I have tried changing from DEV to PROD, direct boot, and switching back to DS3617xs. The only thing that works is having less than 3 drives installed.

Hello,

Thank you again for this exceptionally well done loader.

What is the correct way to update it from the loader menu?

I was used to download the .img file and reset the model, serial, etc... but I would like to use the dedicated menu.

Should I update everything from it and build the loader again? Or can I boot directly after updating everything?

Thanks in advance!

On 12/30/2022 at 8:35 PM, idaanx said:

This is false but I just noticed the 3615xs does indeed not scale down, this might be because of the mperf kernel module or old kernel, not sure... 

But I have previously successfully tested the freq. scaling on the 920+ (or 918+ can't remember) and just did it again on the 3622xs.

On DSM 7 and these models (and probably the others) there are only 3 governors to choose from, performance is the default set by Synology too.

Performance: scales up and down as needed

performance.thumb.png.f4dc7b964478591b8182d29519739be8.png

Powersave: stays looked in the lowest frequency

powersave.thumb.png.21f75b7f290aac7a3c01972f52fd883f.png

Userspace: can be set to a specific upper frequency and also scales down

userspace.thumb.png.2163b7e58481092d94f550c0becddad2.png

As you can see /proc/cpuinfo doesn't show realtime results, which is also why a lot of people think frequency scaling and turbo boosting is not working even on a real Synology.

If I may revive this topic. You should be checking for cpuinfo_cur_freq, that's the info from the HW.

Has someone managed to get ondemand or conservative governors on their Xpenology? powersave is too slow, while running cpu at full speed all the time with performance governor is also not optimal.

Hi folks,

I have a question and hope someone can help. 

I set up VM DS918 within ESXi. When I try to access it under Windows Explorer/network, It would not let me. It says username or password incorrect. I know they are correct. I have no problem accessing my real Synology NAS. Any idea how I can fix it?

Thanks

On 2/19/2023 at 12:15 AM, w84no1 said:

I used ARPL 1.1 beta 2 to upgrade from DS3617xs 6.2 to DS3622xs+ 7.1. Everything worked and I updated my packages.  I rebooted and it will not come back up. I have 7 disks and it will come back up if  I only have 2 or less drives installed.  As soon as I add a 3rd disk it will not work.  I have tried changing from DEV to PROD, direct boot, and switching back to DS3617xs. The only thing that works is having less than 3 drives installed.

I installed Proxmox and everything is back up and running. I think I like running it in a VM better than bare metal. 

• Like 1

@fbelavenuto

In your menu.sh, it seems to limit the model notation unless it is a platform that requires Intel 4th generation or higher than Haswell, such as DS918+.

The standard seems to be the FMA3 instruction.

However, the FMA3 command is excluded from reports by Korean users and Pentiums such as the G5500 that I actually use.

Celerons starting with J also do not have FMA3 instructions.

But as you know, Apollo Lake and Gemini Lake support DS918+ / DS920+.

So, I found a new command that does not omit Pentium or Celeron while including the 4th generation of Haswell or higher.

That command is MOVBE.

There are explanations related to MOVBE as follows.

MOVBE (Move Data After Swapping Bytes) command. Supported by Intel Haswell processors.

The verification was completed on the CPUs of the corresponding case and flyride was also notified.

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/61634-dsm-7x-loaders-and-platforms/?do=findComment&comment=438801

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Exceptions to codenames included in these MOVBE instructions have been identified.

As a result of a test by a Korean Atom pineview D410 user, DS918+ works well.

Atom FineView, released in 2010, was the first codename to include MOVBE instructions, and was planned to be included starting with Intel's first-generation Westmere, released in the same 2010, but was not actually included and was included starting with Haswell, released in 2013. started.

I think we should pay more attention to the MOVBE guidelines that started with Atom FineView in 2010.

cd296184661171a876b4078202505dd6.thumb.jpg.05bb847d1727c79e24b970ea27e45575.jpg

b3209d5ba0eac58fd4037dc53e808371.thumb.jpg.bc50a974057a965858346207c0357575.jpg

• Like 2

Hi,

I have configured my machine with DS920+ and created Raid5 with additional small SSD as read cache. Is it possible to use this SSD as well as boot drive instead of USB flash drive? When I use SSD as boot device based on ARPL image then this disk is not visible in system. Is it possible to shrink cache partition, copy boot/system partition from USB and forget about USG flash (which is slow especially I have no usb3.0)?

22 hours ago, Xoxer said:

Hi,

I have configured my machine with DS920+ and created Raid5 with additional small SSD as read cache. Is it possible to use this SSD as well as boot drive instead of USB flash drive? When I use SSD as boot device based on ARPL image then this disk is not visible in system. Is it possible to shrink cache partition, copy boot/system partition from USB and forget about USG flash (which is slow especially I have no usb3.0)?

If you are using MACOS or Linux, you can simply create a loader from the SSD as below in the terminal.
disk4 is assumed to be SSD.

sudo diskutil unmountDisk /dev/disk4
sudo dd if=/Users/myCom/arpl.img of=/dev/disk4 bs=4m

My test machine 12700k, Z690 motherboard, 32gb ram using a 3622xs+ and newest DSM.  I am using the drives non raid, basic disks.  I didn't need a raid.  I set up the test bench and have it backing up data from my real synology for cold storage.   It is a temporary setup, I didn't do long term testing.  I "borrowed" my son's computer while he is in school and have to give it back before he gets off of the bus.  

Problems- Would not boot twice in a row unless I enabled hot swap in the Bios.  Would only boot cold before.

Had to install DSM on a separate ssd without any other drives to get it to work.  Once in the OS, plugged in and assembled my existing drives.

No complaints.  I deactivated the E cores as it seemed slower with them on.    Just a chiming in on my results.  

2 hours ago, Peter Suh said:

If you are using MACOS or Linux, you can simply create a loader from the SSD as below in the terminal.
disk4 is assumed to be SSD.

sudo diskutil unmountDisk /dev/disk4
sudo dd if=/Users/myCom/arpl.img of=/dev/disk4 bs=4m

I'm not sure if you understand what I mean. I would like to keep the SSD as a cache for the raid volume and use it as a boot drive. For now, I can do one of the two, burn the ARPL image to SSD and use it as a boot disk, or use a USB and use the SSD as a cache. I saw on a forum that someone moved a bootable partition from USB to one of the volume disks because there was enough unallocated space on the disk. On the other hand, SSD Cache disk has only one partition and there is no free space there. When setting up a cache, the synology system asks how much you want to allocate to the cache, but this has no effect on the size of the partition. As far as I understand the commands in linux, your proposal concerns the installation of ARPL on the ssd, which I have already done using Rufus on windows.

It would be great to use SSD cache as boot, let me know if that's even possible please.

By the way on ARPL's github page it says:
"The loader will automatically increase the size of the last partition and use this space as cache if it is larger than 2GiB."
What does "cache" mean in this case? What is this partition used for? As the system no longer sees such a disk, I don't think it will be used to speed up reading data from the raid volume. Could you or somebody explain it?

Woke up this morning and my NAS was on, but unreacheable (and so all the VMs and Docker containers).

Tried rebooting, but still offline.

Hooked up the NAS to my monitor and the ARPL booting seemed OK (see pic here), but the issue was still going on.

Ran Ubuntu Live on a USB stick (btw in the same USB port used for ARPL) and all my hardware/Ethernet was 100% OK.

What do I do now to debug and find out what's going on here? 🤔

HI, i've tried to install the last version of the launcher on ESXI 7.

When i launch THE DSm for install i've got the error failed to format disk 

DS3622xs+

Build 42962

satamap port show 1 drive on stata 0 and one drive on sata 1

If someone can help me or if you want somme debug or screen 

Thanks a lot