XPEnology Community

Automated RedPill Loader (ARPL)

fbelavenuto

40 minutes ago, arden said:

I tried booting after basic configuring, didn't add any extra bits, except for sataportmap of 910800 but it just keeps freezing on boot, anyway to find out why?

20230123_115923.jpg

20230123_120501.jpg

So looking at https://github.com/fbelavenuto/arpl/issues/526 it appears it might be an issue with the latest version, beta13. I also tried beta2, same issue, although the line of text under 'Booting...' does not appear.

My hardware is

Motherboard Asrock B450 Pro4 R2.0

Nic: Realtek RTL8111H

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600G

Memory: x1- Patriot Viper 4 Blackout 32GB DDR4

SATA Controller x2- 8 port (ASM1166) 

HDD: x16- ST4000NM0115-1YZ107

HDD: x1- Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250GB

All drives are showing up fine, network works fine in loader too.

Hi, sorry for asking this again, I try to fined the answers myself and do not like to spam same question, however I can't figure this one out. Can someone please let me know how to delete the Storage Manger HDD/SSD Logs? Thanks

Edited by Xeno

Hello. I have a problem with my Xpenology DS3615xs DSM 7.1.1-42962, 4x HDD. the bootloader is on the SSD, 2x HDDs are connected to the motherboard and 2x HDDs are connected via the sata controller.
When there is an i3-3220 processor in the system everything works fine, all drives are detected in DSM. When installing an i5-2500 processor into the system, DSM does not detect the drives connected via sata controller.
When I check in the synoinfo bootloader, my drives are visible there and active in green, 3 drives to the motherboard and 2 drives through the sata controller. How can I fix it ?

Edited by marcinx98x

On 1/23/2023 at 7:09 AM, arden said:

I tried booting after basic configuring, didn't add any extra bits, except for sataportmap of 910800 but it just keeps freezing on boot, anyway to find out why?

20230123_115923.jpg

20230123_120501.jpg

I have the same problem.  I have been running Jun for last few years before getting a genuine Synology DS815+ NAS.  I am experimenting the DVA with the attention for a dedicated Surveillance Station with the AI features.  I am testing the ARPL with the DVA1622 for now and have the same issue.  After built and reboot, got to booting then the root@arpl prompt and keyboard/mouse no longer responding.  I am using a DELL XPS 8930 with I7 9700 series and 8GB ram.

Sorry forgot to mention that the latest beta 13 freezing on me as well. It boots past the IP gets to the loading dsm kernel, however the system just stops booting DSM and my nic card has zero led activity. I switched back to beta9 and it works fine. My system spec is in my sig.

I built a new PC on an asus z370p and a pentium g5400 processor. Migrated to DVA1622. Facial recognition works, but there is still a problem that the mellanox network card is not visible. Could you add drivers for it? There is a driver on ds3622 and ds1621 and the network card works there.

How to make ARPL's last beta-s work for those (as me) for whom it doesn't work. I mean those of us who says that the last working beta was beta3 or beta5 or more seldom beta6-7... At least this method helped me on my four NAS-es. I had only once exception during DSM boot on 9-10 boots. There were more boots that the number of NAS-es mostly in testing purposes, and only once because of the exception. It is not the answer for "why" and is not a solution. It's just a sort of know-how... Anyway I am not responsible if this method will be unuseful for some or most number of configurations.

First of all - it works both with update installation by menu and clean install. Shutdown DSM if it is running. Change boot method from CSM to UEFI. In Proxmox - change SeaBIOS to OVMF (UEFI). It is mandatory to update by menu method but I think it is necessary for both ways. But I didn't tested clean install without UEFI today.

Then boot in configure mode. As usual - update ARPL, reboot, update everything else. Build loader and boot it as ever. But before building loader check one thing... I will say about it later here.

The method above I checked only once. It works for me. But history of my arpl.img is too complicated, and I even don't remember what version of loader on every certain NAS... So I used the second method...

I began with the same. I shudowned DSM and changed SeaBIOS to OVMF. Then I dowloaded beta13 and replaced arpl.img with it. And then booted it and started menu.sh. Then usual actions with configuration of everything. But before building loader do the following. Go to Advanced menu. Switch LKM from default 'dev' to 'prod'. That is all. And finally - build loader, boot loader.

In this method on all four installations I received DSM restrore screen on DHCP address. I pressed button 'restore' and DSM rebooted in few seconds. The browser page with 'restoration' may be closed, as the next boot was on static address as usual. And finally I received working DSM...

So... My several thoughts on it. The problem grew up when dev/prod from high menu level went to sub-menu with dev value as default. It is a sort of psychology... :) As for the explanation on this effect - I think that there is some sort of incompatibility with latest redpill version. Or - between redpill and arpl...

On 1/22/2023 at 6:46 PM, CCitarella said:

I went ahead and rebuilt the virtual disks (as single RAID 0 disks) in the RAID controller and tried from scratch with Beta13 and the BNX2 disabled but the drives are not found after boot. I also tried multiple models with no success / same issue. Weird because the drives were found previously. 

Hi guys. Any thoughts on this? It's in a Dell R510 with a PERC (LSI) RAID controller but the disks are configured as individual single virtual disks (not using onboard RAID). 

image.png.8c5ab908aadd79248b27c91454f9dfb0.png

11 hours ago, CCitarella said:

Hi guys. Any thoughts on this? It's in a Dell R510 with a PERC (LSI) RAID controller but the disks are configured as individual single virtual disks (not using onboard RAID). 

image.png.8c5ab908aadd79248b27c91454f9dfb0.png

Try to add the following lines in user-config.yml file on your bootable USB drive (first partition):

SataPortMap: "18"
  DiskIdxMap: "1B00"

I use a barebone setup with a LSI card (DELL Perc 310) and I also had not drives detected, but after I added those lines all the hard drives were detected.

Hope it works for you too.

Edited by sk0rpion22

@fbelavenuto can you see any reason why ARPL doesn't boot from time to time (very random)?

Basically I've scheduled a daily poweroff & poweron task, but let's say every 2-3 days I've to force poweroff the NAS because DSM wasn't loaded (no SSH connection too).

If I look at Log Center everything is OK... 🤔

Edited by Cr4z33

Hi I am trying to setup DVA3221 (any built) with a DELL XPS 8930 with I7 9700 CPU ... i went through the model, build, serial number and did a build.  After reboot, I can ping the DVA IP but can't find it in the Synology Assistant.  I tried every built and set to direct boot as well but still can't find the device.  screen stuck at booting the kernel.  Anyway to find the device?

Edited by bigmonkey70

6 hours ago, sk0rpion22 said:

Try to add the following lines in user-config.yml file on your bootable USB drive (first partition):

SataPortMap: "18"
  DiskIdxMap: "1B00"

I use a barebone setup with a LSI card (DELL Perc 310) and I also had not drives detected, but after I added those lines all the hard drives were detected.

Hope it works for you too.

Thank you! I'll give this a shot on Monday and report back. I believe this is a PERC H700, would that make a difference in these entries? 

17 hours ago, CCitarella said:

Also - do I do that with just a text editor, or somewhere using the ARPL menu?

Thanks again. 

You can edit user-config.yml inside ARPL config (check images below) or by accessing first partition of the bootable USB and opening that file with any text editor (Notepad).

Capture.JPG

Capture2.JPG

Capture3.jpg

5 hours ago, sk0rpion22 said:

You can edit user-config.yml inside ARPL config (check images below) or by accessing first partition of the bootable USB and opening that file with any text editor (Notepad).

Capture.JPG

Capture2.JPG

Capture3.jpg

Thank you so much for the detailed screenshots! I'll try this tomorrow when I'm back by the equipment. I appreciate it! :)

Question to @fbelavenuto or users who use intel 10G nic (ixgbe).
M-SHELL for TCRP also uses fabio's ARPL module.
I recently applied the v1.61 module.
https://github.com/fbelavenuto/arpl-modules/releases

https://github.com/PeterSuh-Q3/rp-ext/tree/main/all-modules/releases

There was a conflict between vanilla ixgbe and Redpill's ixgbe in the DS3622xs+ Broadwellnk platform,

so I asked fabio to remove it from the ARPL module a while ago.
However, in the latest module now, ixgbe.ko has been added again.

Is the now recompiled ixgbe.ko stabilized without conflicting with vanilla ixgbe or any issues?

Edited by Peter Suh
  • Like 1