XPEnology Community

Automated RedPill Loader (ARPL)

fbelavenuto

6 hours ago, fbelavenuto said:

Guys, update the ARPL, addons and modules. Add the addon "console", rebuild the loader and test it.

Tested beta12 on the only one NAS.

1. Loaded image of ARPL beta11a (without new modules) in configure mode. Updated ARPL through menu. Rebooted. Without success - grub declined to start, nothing about kernel as it hangs earlier before the kernel.

2. Downloaded full image of beta12. Loaded it - no problems with grub, so previously it was a problem of wrong update... Reconfigured everthing as ever. Added also console addon (I really don't know what is it, but decided to test). Build kernel and boot it. Result - system panic / exception, no boot.

3. Reloaded (2) in configure mode. Deleted console addon. Build and boot - result the same as (2).

4. The same as (2) from the beginning but now I didn't add/deleted console addon. Result the same - exception.

So summing up - beta12 is unusable for me, console addon untestable for me. And I still don't know what is it... :)

In my HP Proliant Micro Server gen10+ DS3622xs+ I have 4 network ports that work perfectly, now I've plugged in an HPE Ethernet 1GB 4-port 331T adapter with another 4 ports as a test and under arpl with cmdline netif_num 8 and mac1 to mac8 the mac addresses are additionally added, but now no network interface is recognized at all Is the HPE 331T supported under ARPL or can the DS 3622 not manage more than 4 ports? tested under ARPL 1.02b,1.03b,1.11b

Updated from version 11 a to 12, added the console module, but I don't know what it's for, can you explain which module for what? I understand that if you install a com port, it will be possible to connect through it? In general, everything works on 3622, even it seems to me to load faster now.

Edited by aportnov

@fbelavenuto update done as requested. Seems OK for me

# ps -ef |grep getty
root      8174     1  0 14:37 ttyS0    00:00:00 /sbin/agetty --keep-baud 115200,38400,9600 ttyS0
root      8175     1  0 14:37 tty1     00:00:00 /sbin/agetty tty1 115200 linux

Did not check what is for yet

Edited by Orphée

18 hours ago, CCitarella said:

Hi All:

Please forgive me as I posted this in the wrong spot previously, I apologize for that.  

BareMetal DellR510 w/ PERC H700 using ARPL v1.0-beta11a and trying to learn and solve reboot issue after DSM install:

I've been playing with trying to get a BareMetal install with ARPL v1.0-beta11a to work on a DellR510 12 drive system. 

The box has a PERC H700 which I believe is an LSI RAID card, but I have the disks all set as individual virtual drives (I did this previously on the older Synoboot 6.2 version of loaders without a problem and DSM saw each drive individually). 

The loader configures fine (tried various builds) and boots and will install DSM but the system will not reboot itself on its own (I have to hard power cycle it) after the DSM install. 

Also once it does come back up (boots successfully) and shows an IP on the console but the device is not found in Syno Assistant. 

I did add an additional NIC so I have both a Broadcom and an Intel NIC in the system besides whatever is onboard on the Dell box, but I think the problem has something to do with it not cleaning up and rebooting on its own after the DSM install as a result of the hard power cycle. 

I don't have any data on the drives and I'm just trying to get it come up after the installation so starting from scratch is not a problem.  

I've looked at possible missing add-ons and searched here for any potential things to try with config edits, etc. but I'm pretty new at this so I was curious if anyone in the community could offer suggestions to put me on the right path of what I should be looking for to solve this (point me in a direction??!?). 

This same hardware WAS working on the 6.2 older version from years ago, but I haven't kept up with the latest and decided to give ARPL a shot. 

Thanks in advance for the help. 

Ok an update on this - DSM is installed and running and working as expected with the latest beta release, however the box still won't take a soft reboot from DSM I still have to hard power cycle it after sending the reboot command (not a huge deal) but I'd like it to work from software. Is there a module for power management I might be missing? Or possible a bios setting that isn't right? Thanks for your help.

console addon is for give you a console access in your screen!

Now it will no longer be necessary to access the console via the serial port, which still works, but you can log in using your keyboard and see it on your screen. It is for easy debugging. If there is a kernel panic during boot the console will not work.

In my proxmox dev environment:

image.thumb.png.555461451c22d9ed019ebdaabdeca20f.png

33 minutes ago, fbelavenuto said:

console addon is for give you a console access in your screen!

Now it will no longer be necessary to access the console via the serial port, which still works, but you can log in using your keyboard and see it on your screen. It is for easy debugging. If there is a kernel panic during boot the console will not work.

In my proxmox dev environment:

image.thumb.png.555461451c22d9ed019ebdaabdeca20f.png

Nice try !

But does not work on proxmox when you passthrough a GPU card and set is as primary GPU (DVA3221) :pimage.thumb.png.1c9936f7f376a32a04e192c467b84034.png

I should probably plug a screen to check there ;)

Edited by Orphée

Thanks again for all who made this project possible.:91_thumbsup: Can someone explain to me where sata map menu located. "show sata port" menu doesn't map the drive just shows them.  I had to edit the cmdline: in user-config.yml manually and ad sataportmap: 6P diskidmap: 0006 or DSM would fail to install.  Also I'm missing detect hardware. Thanks.

Hello guys, I just replaced my old motherboard with a new ASRock Rack X570D4U-2L2T/BCM.

This motherboard contains the 2 x 10Gbe [14e4:16d8] 24:00.1 Ethernet controller: Broadcom Inc. and subsidiaries BCM57416 NetXtreme-E Dual-Media 10G RDMA Ethernet Controller (rev 01)

This motherboard also contains 2 x 1Gbe Intel I210

Previously I had a PCI card with 2 x 10gbe X550 Intel and it was working fine.

To the question.

I have ARPL loader v0.4-alpha 6 which works fantastic on my (Virtual) DS918+ and I do not want to replace it with an updated version.

What is the correct procedure to detect this new BCM 10Gbe? I tried to only rebuild the loader and it does not work.

If I pass-through the I210 it works just fine when I rebuild the loader.

Any suggestions?

Edited by gadreel

13 hours ago, lord_kimbou said:

In the last beta (12), "remove supportraidgroup".. Mmmm.. What does this option do? I don't understand...

I have a raid 5 group on ds3622, So will it stop working with this beta if the option is turned off?

don't worry, in business models this option existed with the value "no" to disable the normal RAIDs and the option SHR appears.  Will not cause problem for systems already installed

• Like 1

Beta13 testing.

1. Working image with update menu. After update arpl I got unworking image as with beta12. Grub does not start.

I missed console addon or anything new - my goal was to load DSM...

2. Downloaded image from github. Made all config changes. Built loader and booted it... System panic / exception.

3. Again rebooted in configure mode with (2). Deselected two bnx2* entries in modules. Built loader and booted it... System panic / exception. But now it seemed to me that something changed... So I waited more time. And the following appeared:

Screenshot_20230122_062318.thumb.jpg.21169e18fa4dd8f1f08c97d7987be63c.jpg

I do not know exactly if the same can be in (2) without bnx2* modules removed, may be I don't waited enough. Anyway DSM does not boot. And I can't use beta13 also.

Some additional info to previous.

Right after SAS HBA detection and HDD-s on it detection there is a big pause in unworking versions (at least beta13 but also most previous ones) and short pause in working version.

Unworking version:

Screenshot_20230122_095614.thumb.jpg.c86211d1d90acf3fc7a59841dd4f95bf.jpg

Working version:

Screenshot_20230122_101117.thumb.jpg.8e8065b8f5e274f3760e1ee062692617.jpg

It is difficult to show the same lines here... But unworking version ends on 2.49s or so on HDD-s on SAS HBA, then come many lines from redpill module, then pause up to 48s and watchdog finally... There is also pause for 0.5s in working version, but it doesn't make a problem.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, fbelavenuto said:

Please go to loader, advanced, modules and deselect bnx2, rebuild and test it

Thank you for the help. I did as instructed but now no drives found upon reboot. 

Should I reset the virtual disks in the onboard raid and try to install again with this new configuration? 

Again, appreciate you trying to help me solve this. 

2 hours ago, CCitarella said:

Thank you for the help. I did as instructed but now no drives found upon reboot. 

Should I reset the virtual disks in the onboard raid and try to install again with this new configuration? 

Again, appreciate you trying to help me solve this. 

I went ahead and rebuilt the virtual disks (as single RAID 0 disks) in the RAID controller and tried from scratch with Beta13 and the BNX2 disabled but the drives are not found after boot. I also tried multiple models with no success / same issue. Weird because the drives were found previously. 

• Like 1