XPEnology Community

Automated RedPill Loader (ARPL)

fbelavenuto

8 hours ago, Andy Miller said:

Can also confirm all 14 disks detected by fdisk during redpill loader configuration. Just none shown once booted into the kernal.

It may appear as fdisk in the kernel, but HBA drivers such as mpt3sas do not work on the three platforms I mentioned above.

The model with the most appropriate HBA operation is DS3622xs+.

You mentioned that you have already tried the DS3622xs+ and RS4021xs+ with HBAs.

In case of HBA, disk ports are automatically mapped.

Doesn't depend on SataPortMap, DiskIdxMap.

Please consider trying to use TCRP FRIEND in another way.

https://github.com/PeterSuh-Q3/tinycore-redpill/releases/tag/v0.9.3.0-1

Edited by Peter Suh

apologies if this item was already covered earlier in the thread ...

is there a list/descrs of all the modules available under "advanced menu"?

i did a recent loader build, using aprl-1.0-beta11a, and couldn't get my LSI 9207-8i (4-drives) recognized.

i ended up adding all the modules to the loader for the card to be recognized.

any help appreciated.

dh

On 9/21/2022 at 11:14 AM, dh22r said:

just used the alpha9 image to upgrade my T30 PowerEdge to model DS3622xs+.

no issues.

Did you add the LSI 9207-8i to the DS3622xs+ this time?

This is what I'm already discussing with Andy Miller right above.

Please follow the conversation between the two of us.

@fbelavenuto

Hi Fabio, great work as ever with ARPL.

The strangest thing happened while I was trying a fresh install with v1.0-beta11a via usb pen drive:

After building the loader ad rebooting, Synology web assistant couldn't find anything on the local net, then I rebuilt the usb pen with v1.0-beta2 and updated via ARPL (update menu) to v1.0-beta11a. At that point everything has gone smoothly.

Maybe I am missing something?

Edited by giacomoleopardo

15 часов назад, idaanx сказал:

The easy suggestion is, stick with what works. ARPL and TCRP have some road ahead before they're as stable and usable as DSM 6 and Jun's loader was.

Another solution I can give you, try out a Hypervisor like Proxmox or similar and run your Windows and DSM in separate VMs.

I understand and use TCRP. Just trying to help in diagnosing the problem, maybe it will help in a further solution.

7 hours ago, Peter Suh said:

It may appear as fdisk in the kernel, but HBA drivers such as mpt3sas do not work on the three platforms I mentioned above.

The model with the most appropriate HBA operation is DS3622xs+.

You mentioned that you have already tried the DS3622xs+ and RS4021xs+ with HBAs.

In case of HBA, disk ports are automatically mapped.

Doesn't depend on SataPortMap, DiskIdxMap.

Please consider trying to use TCRP FRIEND in another way.

https://github.com/PeterSuh-Q3/tinycore-redpill/releases/tag/v0.9.3.0-1

Interesting. I never realized tinycore had a menu system now like arpl. I did try tinycore yesterday but after building the kernel and it was never discoverable on the network.

im out of town for the next couple of days but will try this when I get back.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, giacomoleopardo said:

@fbelavenuto

Hi Fabio, great work as ever with ARPL.

The strangest thing happened while I was trying a fresh install with v1.0-beta11a via usb pen drive:

After building the loader ad rebooting, Synology web assistant couldn't find anything on the local net, then I rebuilt the usb pen with v1.0-beta2 and updated via ARPL (update menu) to v1.0-beta11a. At that point everything has gone smoothly.

Maybe I am missing something?

Hi, thanks. What is the model of your network card?

12 hours ago, chiefg said:

Does the DVA3221 build takes advantage of the NVIDIA GPU (if installed) when using PLEX?

NVM it seems it does work, thanks!

As long as you use the right GPU, I guess it should.

Mine works with Jellyfin and Emby, so I think Plex should be the same. Considering you must have a plex account for HW transcoding.

21 hours ago, idaanx said:

One small issue remains though. The ARPL loader/configurator still has the governor set to userspace with the lowest speed. This is only on the pre-Skylake system, Skylake and up use the intel_pstate driver with different settings, VM doesn't use this at all.

I'll fix this too.

• Like 1

Hello, I have a strange problem, everything worked great on xpenology DS3615XS. I want to change the processor from i3 to xeon and here begins the problem: two hard drives connected via sata expansion card do not work on the xeon processor what is the matter? bootloader detects them correctly but DSM7 no longer sees them.

Edited by marcinx98x

Hello, first thank you for the great work and great product.

Do the vm Installation Guide changed?

We used to install 2 Sata Controllers, Boot Drive on Sata 0-0, and the first Synology disk on Sata 1-0, now if I do that I get the error of no disk found, so I tried and tried and found that only works on Sata 1-3 and beyond altough Synology detect the disks as Disk 34 and so on.

Its working witouth issues but I just wanted to ask,

Thank you.

22 minutes ago, AleAmadoC said:

Hello, first thank you for the great work and great product.

Do the vm Installation Guide changed?

We used to install 2 Sata Controllers, Boot Drive on Sata 0-0, and the first Synology disk on Sata 1-0, now if I do that I get the error of no disk found, so I tried and tried and found that only works on Sata 1-3 and beyond altough Synology detect the disks as Disk 34 and so on.

Its working witouth issues but I just wanted to ask,

Thank you.

Nevermind, just found out that you dont need 2 satas anymore >.< you can go on adding disks on sata 0-1 and so on.

• Like 2

On 1/15/2023 at 8:06 PM, Peter Suh said:

Did you add the LSI 9207-8i to the DS3622xs+ this time?

This is what I'm already discussing with Andy Miller right above.

Please follow the conversation between the two of us.

got it -- much appreciated.  another question ...

my setup:  asrock z390 phantom ITX board.  i've 8 drives -- 4 onboard SATA, 4 on a 9207-8i card.

via arpl-1.0-beta10a, with all modules selected, my LAN (i219, i believe) and my LSI card is recognized.

everything works.

via arpl-1.0-beta11a, all modules selected, my LAN works but the LSI card isn't recognized.

reboot again using the beta10a flash drive, everything working as before.

not sure whether i should've done anything different for the beta11a to work.  i'm fine with beta10a.

thanks again.

dh

• Like 1

6 hours ago, dj_nsk said:

this contradicts the previous message: 

pls note i have tested with Intel 520SFP+ 10Gbit  networkcard  Gen8 Microserver I3 CPU 2 cores  16Gb RAM not the orginal networkcard in the gen8 it is disabled  could you test with ARPL 1.03b ?

https://github.com/nemesis122/arpl/releases/download/1.03/arpl-1.0-beta3.img.zip

Which Version do you have from the gen8 with Xeon ?

On 12/22/2022 at 7:29 AM, idaanx said:

Could you guys post a list of PCI devices?

• Start the ARPL configurator.
  • Use ssh to get into the device and type 'lspci -nnk' (without quotes) and copy the output.
  • Or with a monitor and keyboard connected to the device type 'lspci -nnk > /mnt/p1/lspci.txt' (without qoutes), then type 'poweroff' and unplug the flash drive when it's off. Plug in the flash into your main computer and your should see the lspci.txt file.

Sorry it took me this long to get back. I'll try to post everything relevant so it's easier to work through.

root@arpl:/opt/arpl# lspci -nnk
00:00.0 Host bridge [0600]: Intel Corporation Atom/Celeron/Pentium Processor x5-E8000/J3xxx/N3xxx Series SoC Transaction Register [8086:2280] (rev 35)
        Subsystem: Lenovo Atom/Celeron/Pentium Processor x5-E8000/J3xxx/N3xxx Series SoC Transaction Register [17aa:30c9]
        Kernel driver in use: iosf_mbi_pci
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Intel Corporation Atom/Celeron/Pentium Processor x5-E8000/J3xxx/N3xxx Integrated Graphics Controller [8086:22b1] (rev 35)
        DeviceName:  Onboard IGD
        Subsystem: Lenovo Atom/Celeron/Pentium Processor x5-E8000/J3xxx/N3xxx Integrated Graphics Controller [17aa:30c9]
00:13.0 SATA controller [0106]: Intel Corporation Atom/Celeron/Pentium Processor x5-E8000/J3xxx/N3xxx Series SATA Controller [8086:22a3] (rev 35)
        DeviceName:  Sata Controller
        Subsystem: Lenovo Atom/Celeron/Pentium Processor x5-E8000/J3xxx/N3xxx Series SATA Controller [17aa:30c9]
        Kernel driver in use: ahci
00:14.0 USB controller [0c03]: Intel Corporation Atom/Celeron/Pentium Processor x5-E8000/J3xxx/N3xxx Series USB xHCI Controller [8086:22b5] (rev 35)
        Subsystem: Lenovo Atom/Celeron/Pentium Processor x5-E8000/J3xxx/N3xxx Series USB xHCI Controller [17aa:30c9]
        Kernel driver in use: xhci_hcd
00:1a.0 Encryption controller [1080]: Intel Corporation Atom/Celeron/Pentium Processor x5-E8000/J3xxx/N3xxx Series Trusted Execution Engine [8086:2298] (rev 35)
        Subsystem: Lenovo Atom/Celeron/Pentium Processor x5-E8000/J3xxx/N3xxx Series Trusted Execution Engine [17aa:30c9]
00:1b.0 Audio device [0403]: Intel Corporation Atom/Celeron/Pentium Processor x5-E8000/J3xxx/N3xxx Series High Definition Audio Controller [8086:2284] (rev 35)
        DeviceName:  Onboard Audio
        Subsystem: Lenovo Atom/Celeron/Pentium Processor x5-E8000/J3xxx/N3xxx Series High Definition Audio Controller [17aa:30c9]
00:1c.0 PCI bridge [0604]: Intel Corporation Atom/Celeron/Pentium Processor x5-E8000/J3xxx/N3xxx Series PCI Express Port #1 [8086:22c8] (rev 35)
        Kernel driver in use: pcieport
00:1f.0 ISA bridge [0601]: Intel Corporation Atom/Celeron/Pentium Processor x5-E8000/J3xxx/N3xxx Series PCU [8086:229c] (rev 35)
        Subsystem: Lenovo Atom/Celeron/Pentium Processor x5-E8000/J3xxx/N3xxx Series PCU [17aa:30c9]
00:1f.3 SMBus [0c05]: Intel Corporation Atom/Celeron/Pentium Processor x5-E8000/J3xxx/N3xxx SMBus Controller [8086:2292] (rev 35)
        Subsystem: Lenovo Atom/Celeron/Pentium Processor x5-E8000/J3xxx/N3xxx SMBus Controller [17aa:30c9]
        Kernel driver in use: i801_smbus
01:00.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller [10ec:8168] (rev 0c)
        DeviceName:  Onboard LAN
        Subsystem: Lenovo RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller [17aa:30c9]
        Kernel driver in use: r8169
        Kernel modules: r8169

I'll also add the whole run-down of the M600 BIOS

https://imgur.com/a/7k7By9P

Hi All:

Please forgive me as I posted this in the wrong spot previously, I apologize for that.  

BareMetal DellR510 w/ PERC H700 using ARPL v1.0-beta11a and trying to learn and solve reboot issue after DSM install:

I've been playing with trying to get a BareMetal install with ARPL v1.0-beta11a to work on a DellR510 12 drive system. 

The box has a PERC H700 which I believe is an LSI RAID card, but I have the disks all set as individual virtual drives (I did this previously on the older Synoboot 6.2 version of loaders without a problem and DSM saw each drive individually). 

The loader configures fine (tried various builds) and boots and will install DSM but the system will not reboot itself on its own (I have to hard power cycle it) after the DSM install. 

Also once it does come back up (boots successfully) and shows an IP on the console but the device is not found in Syno Assistant. 

I did add an additional NIC so I have both a Broadcom and an Intel NIC in the system besides whatever is onboard on the Dell box, but I think the problem has something to do with it not cleaning up and rebooting on its own after the DSM install as a result of the hard power cycle. 

I don't have any data on the drives and I'm just trying to get it come up after the installation so starting from scratch is not a problem.  

I've looked at possible missing add-ons and searched here for any potential things to try with config edits, etc. but I'm pretty new at this so I was curious if anyone in the community could offer suggestions to put me on the right path of what I should be looking for to solve this (point me in a direction??!?). 

This same hardware WAS working on the 6.2 older version from years ago, but I haven't kept up with the latest and decided to give ARPL a shot. 

Thanks in advance for the help.