XPEnology Community

Automated RedPill Loader (ARPL)

fbelavenuto

16 minutes ago, Rick4 said:

You wrote, DS3615XS can use cpu freq and intel speedstep governors  without any trick? So if i switch to, it will work at me? Asrock H110m-ITX and i7-6700 CPU.  

Thanks! 

The 3615xs loads the kernel module and sets the governor to performance like it is intended by Synology. Unlike the other models when the misc add-on is enabled, which disables this. There is no difference of setting it yourself with my previously provided command.

Like I said Skylake and up don't need a fix and from my testing don't even work with the module. It might even brake your setup when used improperly. I've also told you before the scores for your 6700 look good and it works as intended.

If you want to be sure Intel Hardware P-state is enable run the command below, when you get output it is.

grep flags /proc/cpuinfo | grep -m1 hwp

Any idea how your J4105 got good scores all of a sudden? Do you use the CPU scaler script on it?

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, idaanx said:

The 3615xs loads the kernel module and sets the governor to performance like it is intended by Synology. Unlike the other models when the misc add-on is enabled, which disables this. There is no difference of setting it yourself with my previously provided command.

Like I said Skylake and up don't need a fix and from my testing don't even work with the module. It might even brake your setup when used improperly. I've also told you before the scores for your 6700 look good and it works as intended.

If you want to be sure Intel Hardware P-state is enable run the command below, when you get output it is.

grep flags /proc/cpuinfo | grep -m1 hwp

Any idea how your J4105 got good scores all of a sudden? Do you use the CPU scaler script on it?

I get that: 

~$ grep flags /proc/cpuinfo | grep -m1 hwp
flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov                   pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe syscall nx pdpe1gb rdt                  scp lm constant_tsc arch_perfmon pebs bts rep_good nopl xtopology nonstop_tsc ap                  erfmperf pni pclmulqdq dtes64 monitor ds_cpl vmx smx est tm2 ssse3 sdbg fma cx16                   xtpr pdcm pcid sse4_1 sse4_2 x2apic movbe popcnt tsc_deadline_timer aes xsave a                  vx f16c rdrand lahf_lm abm 3dnowprefetch epb invpcid_single intel_pt ibrs ibpb s                  tibp tpr_shadow vnmi flexpriority ept vpid fsgsbase tsc_adjust bmi1 hle avx2 sme                  p bmi2 erms invpcid rtm mpx rdseed adx smap clflushopt xsaveopt xsavec xgetbv1 d                  therm ida arat pln pts hwp hwp_notify hwp_act_window hwp_epp

Finally today i just  changed main nas to this i7-6700 powered sytem, because J4105 worked good, but eats  only 3W less than this new setup, i  mesaured it's only 13 vs 16W, monthly main power price increase us$2.2 at me, but the CPU power under working is very very different. I use that for torrent, cam record, and use more attached folders to two PCs, and then my J4105 now became  a backup nas, that powered on once daily for 15 mins only, to made  a regular short rsync  backup.

That Asrock J4105 mobo  runs a fix 1.5 GHz, wit 2X8GB DDr4 RAM, and an ARPL beta9 loader (mine runs from a 20GB Intel SSD),  so i think, that scores will be a maximum, can that push out! I hope, if you try to build same setup and same loader, you will get same result. But in my case  if i try examine the exact problem, i will lose many more times, so i simply replaced mobo and cpu, and get 5x powerfull machine without any time investment. 

Edited by Rick4

21 minutes ago, Rick4 said:

Finally today i just  changed main nas to this i7-6700 powered sytem, because J4105 worked good, but eats  only 3W less than this new setup, i  mesaured it's only 13 vs 16W, monthly main power price increase us$2.2 at me, but the CPU power under working is very very different. I use that for torrent, cam record, and use more attached folders to two PCs, and then my J4105 now became  a backup nas, that powered on once daily for 15 mins only, to made  a regular short rsync  backup.

That Asrock J4105 mobo  runs a fix 1.5 GHz, wit 2X8GB DDr4 RAM, and an ARPL beta9 loader (mine runs from a 20GB Intel SSD),  so i think, that scores will be a maximum, can that push out! I hope, if you try to build same setup and same loader, you will get same result. But in my case  if i try examine the exact problem, i will lose many more times, so i simply replaced mobo and cpu, and get 5x powerfull machine without any time investment. 

Just measuring the idle state is a bit pointless. Under some load the 6700 will easily exceed 50+ W, where as the J4105 will most likely stay under 20 W. For my N3150 the difference between idle and full load is only around 3 W, but a 65 W TDP chip like the 6700 will never have that.

With the scores you previously posted for the J4105, it is very unlikely you only getting 1.5 GHz. If you're getting reports of the frequency being 1501 in DSM, in reality it is 2500 / 2.5 GHz. Can you post the results for the J4150 with

grep . /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/*

And can you please answer the question if you used the CPU scaler script on the J4105 or set it manually?

1 hour ago, idaanx said:

Just measuring the idle state is a bit pointless. Under some load the 6700 will easily exceed 50+ W, where as the J4105 will most likely stay under 20 W. For my N3150 the difference between idle and full load is only around 3 W, but a 65 W TDP chip like the 6700 will never have that.

With the scores you previously posted for the J4105, it is very unlikely you only getting 1.5 GHz. If you're getting reports of the frequency being 1501 in DSM, in reality it is 2500 / 2.5 GHz. Can you post the results for the J4150 with

And can you please answer the question if you used the CPU scaler script on the J4105 or set it manually?

No, there's no any script to modify cpuscaler, i juct checked, and i get 1500MHz only, i think 2500MHz frequency  will be available under high cpu usage. I don't know, geekbench test how works, and my CPU can lift default cpu frequency or not, but that system is an untouched system, i do not set any cpufreq. So switched on my backup server, paste line, and i get lines below: 

/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/affected_cpus:0
/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/bios_limit:1501000
grep: /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/cpuinfo_cur_freq: Permission denied
/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/cpuinfo_max_freq:1501000
/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/cpuinfo_min_freq:800000
/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/cpuinfo_transition_latency:10000
/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/freqdomain_cpus:0 1 2 3
/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/related_cpus:0
/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_available_frequencies:1501000 15000                  00 1400000 1300000 1200000 1100000 1000000 900000 800000
/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_available_governors:powersave perfo                  rmance userspace
/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_cur_freq:2318266
/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_driver:acpi-cpufreq
/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor:performance
/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_max_freq:1501000
/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_min_freq:800000
/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_setspeed:<unsupported>
grep: /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/stats: Is a directory

It's a simply 4X 1.5GHz: 

grep MHz /proc/cpuinfo
cpu MHz         : 1501.000

Edited by Rick4

7 minutes ago, Rick4 said:

No, there's no any script to modify cpuscaler, i juct checked, and i get 1500MHz only, i think 2500MHz frequency  will be available under high cpu usage. Switched on my backup server, paste line, and i get lines below: 

/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/affected_cpus:0
/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/bios_limit:1501000
grep: /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/cpuinfo_cur_freq: Permission denied
/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/cpuinfo_max_freq:1501000
/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/cpuinfo_min_freq:800000
/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/cpuinfo_transition_latency:10000
/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/freqdomain_cpus:0 1 2 3
/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/related_cpus:0
/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_available_frequencies:1501000 15000                  00 1400000 1300000 1200000 1100000 1000000 900000 800000
/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_available_governors:powersave perfo                  rmance userspace
/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_cur_freq:2318266
/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_driver:acpi-cpufreq
/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor:performance
/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_max_freq:1501000
/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_min_freq:800000
/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_setspeed:<unsupported>
grep: /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/stats: Is a directory

Where did you check it is 1500 and not 1501? You're still using model 920+ right, I'm wondering how your governor was set to performance? Can you post the result for

cat /lib/modules-load.d/70-cpufreq-kernel.conf && lsmod | grep cpu

7 hours ago, idaanx said:

The NIC works otherwise you wouldn't have gotten an ip from the router, 192.168.x.x are local handed out by the router.

The ping in ARPL is a bit different, try "ping -w5 1.1.1.1" again. If you get a positive response it has internet, if not it doesn't. And restart your router and/or modem, and try to ping github.com or something else again.

If you are able to ping 1.1.1.1 but a url doesn't work it's a DNS issue.

Run "nslookup github.com" to see what DNS server is used.

Done, this is what I get. What proceeds?

9CC99AA8-7C6A-4EB0-9AD0-D40272E094A4.png

8EB8C29B-07B4-4F27-B05F-3A5251403B54.jpeg

3 hours ago, idaanx said:

Where did you check it is 1500 and not 1501? You're still using model 920+ right, I'm wondering how your governor was set to performance? Can you post the result for

cat /lib/modules-load.d/70-cpufreq-kernel.conf && lsmod | grep cpu

Here is the output:

/$ cat /lib/modules-load.d/70-cpufreq-kernel.conf && lsmod | grep cpu
cpufreq_stats
processor
# acpi-cpufreq
cpufreq_performance
cpufreq_powersave
xt_tcpudp               2543  8
x_tables               16976  14 ip6table_filter,xt_iprange,xt_recent,ip_tables,xt_tcpudp,xt_geoip,xt_limit,xt_state,xt_conntrack,xt_LOG,xt_mac,xt_multiport,iptable_filter,ip6_tables
cpufreq_powersave       1126  0
cpufreq_performance     1130  4
cpufreq_stats           2865  0
acpi_cpufreq            6493  0
processor              26582  5 acpi_cpufreq

I am really do not remember, tried to set any performance governor or another settings, but is's an old few months image that updated, hdd migrated from ds920+ to ds 3615, and then back, and settings backupped, and after a fresh install settings restored. What can you see in that lines? 

1 hour ago, Joedoesthings said:

Done, this is what I get. What proceeds?

9CC99AA8-7C6A-4EB0-9AD0-D40272E094A4.png

8EB8C29B-07B4-4F27-B05F-3A5251403B54.jpeg

Looks like the DNS settings on your ARPL is pointing to itself, don't know why that is.

Just wipe the flash drive and flash it again with BalenaEtcher and try again, easier than trying to fix this mess. And if you haven't done so already turn off and on again your router and/or modem.

4 minutes ago, idaanx said:

Looks like the DNS settings on your ARPL is pointing to itself, don't know why that is.

Just wipe the flash drive and flash it again with BalenaEtcher and try again, easier than trying to fix this mess. And if you haven't done so already turn off and on again your router and/or modem.

thanks for the help friend, i already tried to reset the router, and I also re-“burned” the flash drive with balena etcher. 

how was your install of the ARPL? No bugs at all?

45 minutes ago, Rick4 said:

Here is the output:

/$ cat /lib/modules-load.d/70-cpufreq-kernel.conf && lsmod | grep cpu
cpufreq_stats
processor
# acpi-cpufreq
cpufreq_performance
cpufreq_powersave
xt_tcpudp               2543  8
x_tables               16976  14 ip6table_filter,xt_iprange,xt_recent,ip_tables,xt_tcpudp,xt_geoip,xt_limit,xt_state,xt_conntrack,xt_LOG,xt_mac,xt_multiport,iptable_filter,ip6_tables
cpufreq_powersave       1126  0
cpufreq_performance     1130  4
cpufreq_stats           2865  0
acpi_cpufreq            6493  0
processor              26582  5 acpi_cpufreq

I am really do not remember, tried to set any performance governor or another settings, but is's an old few months image that updated, hdd migrated from ds920+ to ds 3615, and then back, and settings backupped, and after a fresh install settings restored. What can you see in that lines? 

First part is the file which loads the necessary modules, acpi-cpufreq still has a hash in front of it which normally disables the loading of it. This is done by the misc add-on.

The second part, starting with xt_tcpudp are the loaded modules with a filter for the text cpu. As you can see it shows acpi-cpufreq in the second row from the bottom.

No clue why it is loaded anyway if you didn't do anything.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Joedoesthings said:

thanks for the help friend, i already tried to reset the router, and I also re-“burned” the flash drive with balena etcher. 

how was your install of the ARPL? No bugs at all?

No issues with the install no.

New idea.

echo nameserver 1.1.1.1 >> /etc/resolv.conf

And run the nslookup command again.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, idaanx said:

New idea.

Hundred thanks, “echo name…” worked!!, i was able to build, and now im trying to do the config for sataportmap/
diskidxmap, i just have 2 disks (dsm6 raid1) but its not working out. 😂😅

775DC332-EA57-4411-B1BE-90D4D62C1F1B.png

8 hours ago, idaanx said:

First part is the file which loads the necessary modules, acpi-cpufreq still has a hash in front of it which normally disables the loading of it. This is done by the misc add-on.

The second part, starting with xt_tcpudp are the loaded modules with a filter for the text cpu. As you can see it shows acpi-cpufreq in the second row from the bottom.

No clue why it is loaded anyway if you didn't do anything.

Oh, ist's a very complicated answer, i can't recognize that. :-)) I am not a professional, but can do anythin after i see the method, so I don't see that deep, and don't see any software part connections, but thans for all answers..

So if i switch to DS3615XS image, intel speedstep will work again on my i7-6700 setup? 

12 hours ago, idaanx said:

New idea.

I just found that command: 

modprobe acpi-cpufreq && echo "performance" | tee /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu*/cpufreq/scaling_governor

Tell me please, how can i use, and how it works? 

5 hours ago, Rick4 said:

Oh, ist's a very complicated answer, i can't recognize that. :-)) I am not a professional, but can do anythin after i see the method, so I don't see that deep, and don't see any software part connections, but thans for all answers..

So if i switch to DS3615XS image, intel speedstep will work again on my i7-6700 setup? 

21 hours ago, idaanx said:

Do what you want with that answer, I'm out...

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, idaanx said:

Do what you want with that answer, I'm out...

Okay, i hope you have any method, i can test intel speedstep working under light  cpu load, and then cpu frequency can slow until 800MHz, and if cpu load increase, frequency can reach 3.4GHz. 

I can't find any test, that shows it works or not.  

Can somebody inform me about latest ARPL and WOL? Few days updated from ARPL beta2 to beta9, all other function works good, i get better performance,  but today i realized, all two server WOL function are gone. Checked settings i can set WOL is on, but if i try wake up it (before worked good) doesn't works. Mobo bioses, and all others are  ok, so i think, this cause the loader. 

Edited by Rick4

2 hours ago, Rick4 said:

Can somebody inform me about latest ARPL and WOL? Few days updated from ARPL beta2 to beta9, all other function works good, i get better performance,  but today i realized, all two server WOL function are gone. Checked settings i can set WOL is on, but if i try wake up it (before worked good) doesn't works. Mobo bioses, and all others are  ok, so i think, this cause the loader. 

Check the MAC address hasn't changed in the Network Interface.

On 1/2/2023 at 1:19 PM, idaanx said:

@fbelavenuto @pocopico  Since posting this I've also discovered a probable cause for this. I've compared the results of the cpufreq directories in the ARPL configurator and noticed the driver is different. My main board with Intel uses the intel_cpufreq driver and the newer Skylake uses intel_pstate driver to manage the states.

This uses something called Intel Hardware P-State (HWP) which was introduced with Skylake and is easy to test for and exclude the acpi-cpufreq module. The real 3622xs still uses pre-Skylake Xeons so makes sense that model loads the module.

To test older Intel chips for frequency scaling there is Intel Dynamic Acceleration (IDA), which is also easy to test for. @Dreadnought just confirmed this in a way, since this even older Atom doesn't have the issue and also no IDA feature. Verified the CPU flags online.

This just leaves AMD. I've extracted the the 1621+ pat file and checked the 70-cpufreq-kernel file, for this Ryzen model it still loads the acpi-cpufreq module, so should be good...

Very thanks for the information.

52 minutes ago, Valk said:

Hey guys, can someone please put my mind at ease and just say that there is absolutely no way I can get Intel Atom D2550 iGPU work as local display on 1622 loader?

There is no output apart from the loader itself, a real Synology doesn't even have a video out.

17 hours ago, Hostilian said:

Check the MAC address hasn't changed in the Network Interface.

Thanks, checked, but unsuccess, mac was same as old  in all two case, checked twice from synology assistant and between win app WOL. 

Edited by Rick4

Hello Everyone, 

BareMetal Asus M4A785-M, AMD Phenom II, 945 (3.00Ghz), 3GB Ram

ARPL 1.0 Beta9 for DS3615XS, DSM 7.1.1 42962-Update 1

Drives 10, 10, 12, 16, 16 TBs

This machine was migrated from Jun's loader with DSM 6.2 and has been stable for a long time.

When I try to upgrade the RAM I get into a boot loop at the loader screen right after the IP is assigned. (screen shot)

In testing, I build an identical machine, 100% identical with the exception of the drives. It will not boot into DSM setup either.

Tried,

-Fresh flash and loader config, in both cases, still boot loop.

-If I remove the added RAM, machine 1 (the functional) boots normal.

-Machine 2 will not pass the boot loop ever

-Tried multiple different USB sticks, each time reconfiguring the loader

-Change to a different motherboard.

-Cross checked the user-config.yml files, they are identical, except MAC, serial, VID and PID.

I have been using Jun's loader for years and the previous loaders I think was nanoboot, I've never had this much trouble on the front end, but I'm also not a programmer.

Can someone please tell me what I'm missing? Why do they just keep rebooting?

IMG_0580.jpeg