XPEnology Community

Automated RedPill Loader (ARPL)

fbelavenuto

On 12/30/2022 at 2:18 AM, idaanx said:

If you do this make sure you have an idea what you are doing, there is always a risk of losing data if something goes wrong.

modprobe acpi-cpufreq && echo "performance" | tee /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu*/cpufreq/scaling_governor

With my DVA3221 using i5-11400 there is no change in score after running the above command.
Scores are at the same threshold as i5-11400 on geekbench.com.

https://browser.geekbench.com/v5/cpu/19608551

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, vinhnguyen said:

With my DVA3221 using i5-11400 there is no change in score after running the above command.
Scores are at the same threshold as i5-11400 on geekbench.com.

https://browser.geekbench.com/v5/cpu/19608551

Newer Intel CPUs don't seem to be effected by the acpi-cpufreq module and work perfectly without it. Same for my i3-6100T, maybe Skylake is the cutoff since Haswell still had the issue.

Thanks for testing.

• Like 1

Consumption in this case go every time with this High Freq enabled  because Idle is the same consumption and much more power

xeon 1240v2 gen8 Microserver 4x6tb raid 0 16Gb RAM 
with high freq
idle 52 watt
full 94 watt
score
Single-Core Score
Multi-Core Score

xeon 1240v2 
without freq
idle 54 watt
full 68 watt
score
Single-Core Score
Multi-Core Score

Edited by nemesis122

2 hours ago, nemesis122 said:

Consumption in this case go every time with this High Freq enabled  because Idle is the same consumption and much more power

xeon 1240v2 gen8 Microserver 4x6tb raid 0 16Gb RAM 
with high freq
idle 52 watt
full 94 watt
score
Single-Core Score
Multi-Core Score

xeon 1240v2 
without freq
idle 54 watt
full 68 watt
score
Single-Core Score
Multi-Core Score

So the with high freq is with the governor set to performance and the without freq is the default without it set or did you set something yourself?

On 12/29/2022 at 2:48 PM, nemesis122 said:

hi 

3615 is running great but there is a little cosmetic also after cpu info do you know how to fix that ?

ty

cpu mhz.jpg

That is the frequency set in the first part of ARPL. I have this too, it's just cosmatic. Once the acpi-cpufreq is loaded this isn't an issue.

Tested this by setting the configurator to userspace with 1120000 and as you can see it worked. But not useful in normal use, needs to be changed in kernel of the loader.

1802192056_Schermafbeelding2022-12-30om14_49_14.thumb.png.bdc3f777f83293a8146713a1280ee016.png

The CPU and cores are baked in the pat of the model but looks like you changed it with the this tool.

Hello. I am doing first test moving from Redpill and DS918 to ARPL. I got couple questions. I am testing DS3622 with LSI 9200-8i IT mode in Proxmox. I wrote SataPortMap=118 DiskIdxMap=100A00 and my 5 hdds connected to controller are as I wanted number from 3 to 7. Virtual sata drive shows up as number 11. Any idea to get it as number 1 (and 2 as Loader)? I got intel 8500T cpu- is it possible to get transcoding if it is not DS with Celeron J cpu (with f.ex synocodectool-patch), or I need to try with  DS920?

2022-12-31 15.39.40 192.168.1.205 4f5867bce866.png

2 hours ago, idaanx said:

So the with high freq is with the governor set to performance and the without freq is the default without it set or did you set something yourself?

Hi Yes exactly only this command by boot in the taskplaner switched off testing / swiched on Reboot Testing 

modprobe acpi-cpufreq && echo "performance" | tee /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu*/cpufreq/scaling_governor

Edited by nemesis122

I have already changed with cpu info but the cpu clock is still false with 3615 anyway i have switched back to 3622xs (and then the cpu info is correct)with the cpu governeur command in the task High Freq and is running great.

@idaanx why do you use 3615xs ?

thank you for your feedback.

Edited by nemesis122

Just wanted to get everyones input here. Thinking ahead to when this flash drive that my loader is on dies, because obviously it will, would it be wise to, or can I create a carbon copy clone of this flash drive on another as a working backup so that if the flash drive dies I can just pop in the backup? 

5 minutes ago, techno89 said:

Just wanted to get everyones input here. Thinking ahead to when this flash drive that my loader is on dies, because obviously it will, would it be wise to, or can I create a carbon copy clone of this flash drive on another as a working backup so that if the flash drive dies I can just pop in the backup? 

The flash drive is only used on boot and when you're configuring the loader, wouldn't worry too much of breaking it.

Make a note of your model, build, serial, mac and anything else you might have changed just in case. And when it breaks just create a fresh one with your details. You should also be able to just plug the drive into your computer and copy the user-config.yml file with the settings, take a note of the ARPL version in that case.

• Like 1

@idaanx when I execute the command 

I get the following error on my ARPL system:

modprobe: ERROR: could not insert 'acpi_cpufreq': No such device

Any idea how to fix?

Here is my benchmark before switching the governor: https://browser.geekbench.com/v5/cpu/19655399

Edited by Dreadnought

24 minutes ago, Dreadnought said:

@idaanx when I execute the command 

I get the following error on my ARPL system:

Any idea how to fix?

Here is my benchmark before switching the governor: https://browser.geekbench.com/processors/intel-core-i7-4960hq

I've seen that error before, can't remember in what situation. Need some more info.

What model do you use? The benchmark link you provided is the general score for your CPU not your own score. Link looks like browser.geekbench.com/v5/cpu/<numbers>, take a look in your browser history for the correct one.

Baremetal or VM?

Edited by idaanx

16 minutes ago, idaanx said:

I've seen that error before, can't remember in what situation. Need some more info.

What model do you use? The benchmark link you provided is the general score for your CPU not your own score. Link looks like browser.geekbench.com/v5/cpu/<numbers>, take a look in your browser history for the correct one.

Baremetal or VM?

I fixed the link in the meantime. This is my test system working within a Parallels VM.

On 12/31/2022 at 4:54 PM, nemesis122 said:

I have already changed with cpu info but the cpu clock is still false with 3615 anyway i have switched back to 3622xs (and then the cpu info is correct)with the cpu governeur command in the task High Freq and is running great.

@idaanx why do you use 3615xs ?

thank you for your feedback.

3615xs is the only one which works without the fix, and since I didn't know who to fix it yet I switch back to it.

But I wouldn't recommend downgrading to the 3615xs, a lot of hassle because the DSM settings will be lost.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, idaanx said:

3615xs is the only one which works without the fix, and since I didn't know who to fix it yet I switch back to it.

But I wouldn't recommend downgrading to the 3615xs, a lot of hassle because the DSM settings will be lost.

I am on 3622xs. I will try it on my real NAS maybe with another result.

11 minutes ago, Dreadnought said:

I fixed the link in the meantime. This is my test system working within a Parallels VM.

That explains the error. The future is not supported in a VM since the host OS manages the CPU scaling.

Your score looks good with only 2 cores in the VM, single is a bit less because of the overhead of the VM and it's a laptop guessing by the CPU.

Edited by idaanx

11 minutes ago, Dreadnought said:

I am on 3622xs. I will try it on my real NAS maybe with another result.

Please don't! Like I said it just messes up your settings, and at the time I didn't know how else to fix the performance yet. 

Just run the performance command on your NAS, if you have low Geekbench scores on it. It should work on this CPU, if it doesn't a reboot will put it back to normal.

Edited by idaanx

1 minute ago, idaanx said:

Please don't! Like I said it just messes up your settings, and at the time I didn't know how to fix it yet.

Just run the performance command on your NAS, if you have low Geekbench scores on it. It should work on this CPU, if it doesn't a reboot will put it back to normal.

My test system is a 9 years old macbook. I have 2 NAS systems. One is for testing and one with the real data.

So I try it on my real testsystem. If something is messed up there, it doesn't matter.

20 minutes ago, Dreadnought said:

My test system is a 9 years old macbook. I have 2 NAS systems. One is for testing and one with the real data.

So I try it on my real testsystem. If something is messed up there, it doesn't matter.

here the results of my real test NAS before the governor change:  https://browser.geekbench.com/v5/cpu/19656573  

Edited by Dreadnought

Just now, Dreadnought said:

here the results of my real test NAS before the governor change:  https://browser.geekbench.com/v5/cpu/19656573  

hm ok and there will be no after because the some error message as above:

2 minutes ago, Dreadnought said:

hm ok and there will be no after because the some error message as above:

This CPU doesn't support the needed scaling, just checked its features. So you're good.

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, fbelavenuto said:

Guys, please do a test who has an HP microserver and who has a performance problem: Activate "Direct Boot" within the "Advanced menu". Just active and boot, is not necessary to rebuild the loader.

Just tested this, had to do a clean install again (was testing something with Jun and DSM 6.2 before).

It is faster than before and a lot of people will think this fixes things. But I can tell you with certainty, it is still not fixed, it's basically the same as TCRP.

The /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpufreq/ directory is still empty so the acpi-cpufreq is still not loaded. Resulting in the base frequency for my CPU instead of the full performance, just like TCRP.

Like I said before in my detailed issue analysis, it is a flawed test in the misc add-on, this needs to be fixed.

• Like 1