XPEnology Community

Automated RedPill Loader (ARPL)

fbelavenuto

23 minutes ago, abced said:

I have been running 918+ for years on N3150, so compatibility shouldn't be an issue.

If you give me steps how to perform the benchmark that you did, I can run it on my system and we can compare results.

I'm also using this N3150 since 2016 with DSM 5 and 6 but since I switched to DSM 7 the performance was poor. It's not a compatibility issue, it's a software/settings issue. Other systems have similar performance losses, see some of the previous post.

If you want to run a test please see instructions below, if you need more help let me know with which one.

On 12/17/2022 at 4:46 PM, idaanx said:

One way is using Docker, but I run it mostly just straight from ssh, download, unzip and starting the benchmark with:

wget https://cdn.geekbench.com/Geekbench-5.4.6-Linux.tar.gz && tar xf Geekbench-5.4.6-Linux.tar.gz && ./Geekbench-5.4.6-Linux/geekbench5

1 hour ago, turtle_a said:

Please forgive me, I forgot to mention that ping disappears to the specified IP address. I waited about 20 minutes before, but Assistant Synology never showed me the device.

I see you also used a generated MAC address just like @royeiror which might be the issue. I'v had it not being picked up by the assistant because of that before.

Use the real MAC address and try again.

Update 1: Just noticed you're using a serial which is from a 3615xs.

Update2: Tried your sn + mac in a VM and was found in the assistant, even random character sn works.

Edited by idaanx

1 minute ago, idaanx said:

I see you also used a generated MAC address just like @royeiror which might be the issue. I'v had it not being picked up by the assistant because of that before.

Use the real MAC address and try again.

Just to clear up. I've walked through the process many times, I really never messed with MAC after all.

1 hour ago, idaanx said:

How about giving Jun loader a go, it doesn't support the latest DSM but maybe that works.

Or try a hypervisor...

I'll give it a go with the earlier versions. the M600 with it's N3010 CPU doesn't look like it has enough power to run a hypervisor as well as the DSM, but I might give it a try anyway. I also remembered I have a laptop with either an i3 or i5 CPU which might be useful for that purpose, I'll keep you posted.

Tried to search for an answer to this but came up with nothing.

I'm running in a VM w/ Proxmox, passing through an LSU 9211-4i. There's the default 6 port SATA controller that comes along with every q35 VM, but no drives attached to it. Everything is working great, but the drivers attached to my HBA start at #7. Any way to map them so they start at #1 and the unused SATA controller is ignored?

15 hours ago, Orphée said:

Depending on the loader you are using, you may try :

SataPortMap=18

DiskIdxMap=1000

Or probably :

SataPortMap=118

DiskIdxMap=100800

If it works, you will probably still have a blank disk in position 1 (the SATA dom bootloader disk)

Is there a way to just remap the drives so that the virtual controller starts at 5 and the passthrough HBA starts at 4?

18 hours ago, Derex said:

@royeirorIf you read my posts from this thread from few days ago you will see that i get into exact same issue, doesn't matter what i've tried. I use a HP Microserver Gen10 . Also many others are experiencing this issue with latest arpl-1.0-beta9 , unfortunately :( 

Are you saying it worked before beta 9 for you? Looking at your history it looks like you never got it working.

If what I found about your Gen10 is correct, it has 2 NICs, although you only have 1 specified in your ARPL settings. Try switching the ethernet cable to the other interface on the back. It might be flipped, and disabled the on your using right now. Do the LEDs on the NICs light up?

I have 1 build-in and 1 PCIe NIC and it flipped the MAC addresses at some point. Since I had them both assigned in ARPL it still worked.

Could you guys post a list of PCI devices?

• Start the ARPL configurator.
  • Use ssh to get into the device and type 'lspci -nnk' (without quotes) and copy the output.
  • Or with a monitor and keyboard connected to the device type 'lspci -nnk > /mnt/p1/lspci.txt' (without qoutes), then type 'poweroff' and unplug the flash drive when it's off. Plug in the flash into your main computer and your should see the lspci.txt file.
Edited by idaanx

I have maybe the same issue install is fine with arpl1.09 but after the reboot when the install is finish there is a softlookup with some kernel modules.(crashing)

with arpl 1.03b all is running great (do not update the modules or addons)

system Gen 8 Microserver  

Edited by nemesis122

On 12/19/2022 at 5:00 PM, Rick4 said:

That benchark is terrible low, i think, you must try it with newer hardware. Thas uses old chipsets, low speed DDR rams, and the cpu wit T on end always significant slower than original. Do not but a T ended CPU. 

It's not a CPU problem, the original Synology mount CPUs much less powerful than that. I think there must be some incompatibility problem with the hardware/software that causes a noticeable loss of performance.

To rule out the CPU in a few days I will build a Xeon 1256L V3 that I have at home.

Has anyone tried to perform these tests with TinyCore Redpill Loader to rule out that it is a loader problem?

1 hour ago, Altaram said:

Has anyone tried to perform these tests with TinyCore Redpill Loader to rule out that it is a loader problem?

You can read my first post about this, I've tested on ARPL, TCRP and Jun.

I've done a lot of tests and some research this week, and if got a pretty good idea what the issue is. Need a bit more data and I'll post my findings later.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, idaanx said:

You can read my first post about this, I've tested on ARPL, TCRP and Jun.

I've done a lot of tests and some research this week, and if got a pretty good idea what the issue is. Need a bit more data and I'll post my findings later.

Your contribution is very interesting. Waiting for your conclusions.

I will test with a Xeon E3 1265L V3 (35W) and an E3 1220-V3 (80W) and I will post the results. If these are not correct, I will try to migrate to 3617xs, which is the equivalent of my platform.

Edited by Altaram
  • Thanks 1

On 12/23/2022 at 6:04 PM, Altaram said:

Your contribution is very interesting. Waiting for your conclusions.

I will test with a Xeon E3 1265L V3 (35W) and an E3 1220-V3 (80W) and I will post the results. If these are not correct, I will try to migrate to 3617xs, which is the equivalent of my platform.

Read my post before try migrate to other images. #1489  

Edited by Rick4

4 hours ago, Rick4 said:

Read my post before try migrate to other images. #1489  

I don't quite understand what you're doing.

You go around various configurations, getting disparate results on all of them, and finally you go back to the first one and get a totally different result. I can't find the pattern anywhere. It's all very confusing.

16 hours ago, Altaram said:

I don't quite understand what you're doing.

You go around various configurations, getting disparate results on all of them, and finally you go back to the first one and get a totally different result. I can't find the pattern anywhere. It's all very confusing.

I tried to present, if i update ARPL to latest, (before i do not updated, because i think,  old worked good) and try to use same hardware, or same platform as original image, i get full speed and full power, so maybe you will get better result. 

Dears,

I've just updated my CPU and MB, and struggling with recognizing my HDDs for days, can anyone help me?

My system:

ROG STRIX Z690-G GAMING WIFI+i5 12500

LSI 9211-81 IT mode

Installed latest TCRP DS3622xs+ 7.1.0, I have total 12 disks

My motherboard has 3 m.2 slots, all set to PCIE SSD mode with no SSDs on them

4HDDs conntected to SATA6G_1,SATA6G_2,SATA6G_3,SATA6G_4

SATA6G_E1, SATA6G_E2 are empty (attached photo)

8HDDs connected to 9211-8i

These are my satamap and grep SATA results, no matter how I changed my sataportmap and diskidxmap, DSM can only recognize 10 disks

Appreciate for any suggestions, thanks!

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg