XPEnology Community

Automated RedPill Loader (ARPL)

fbelavenuto

8 minutes ago, flyride said:

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/61634-dsm-7x-loaders-and-platforms/

Your CPU has 56 threads.  The max supported on the mainstream platforms is 24 (see the link above).

You will need to virtualize and run other workloads to maximize the CPU.  If you want to run baremetal, change to one of the platforms that supports 24 threads, turn off Hyperthreading and then you can use 24 cores out of 28.

As usual flyride comes thru! Nice chart, AGAIN!  Nice thanks

so how many total threads/ cores will i currenly be using on 918+ 7.1     4 ?

5 minutes ago, Green said:

To log in from outside the home ::::: control panel->external access->DDNS

I use
no-ip.com You see in the picture there are many to pick from
DDNS1.png
DDNS2.png

I'd recommend not just straight port forwarding. Give yourself a little extra safety by using a reverse proxy in between to filter traffic based on the address (ie only direct the port forward to the Nas if it's coming as a request for middleearth.mydomain.com). Changing the port will misdirect some script kiddies but it will still be found on a port scan and hackers will then keep poking at that port until they find a vulnerability.

11 hours ago, chiefg said:

EPC621D8A mobo with Intel X540-T2 , unable to load latest ARPL with 10GB nic, gives error getting IP after building and booting

embedded NICs worked, recognized all 18 drives

Would like to get 10GB NICs working ,  any suggestions?

FYI with Alpha build the NIC X540-T2 gets recognized no issues other than it keeps crashing the volume after reboots, bare metal setup

Hi I had the same issue go in the loader menu to update and update the addons and modules and build the loader again it will work 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Captainfingerbang said:

and 1 other thing...

I can get my nic working on the motherboard.

and i can get 1 of the 2 nics working on X540-t2. 

But i cant get the THIRD nic working. The second port/ nic on X540-t2

Is this a config thing?

How do i add a 3rd nic address?

you have to change in the loader some settings

netif_num :"3" 

mac 1 : 12334566 <-- yor mac adresses 

mac 2: 4554122 <-- yor mac adresses 

mac3 :454654564 <-- yor mac adresses 

This is an amazing pice of kit! Congrats on getting this done, i used it already a number of times and gives me the reason to continue with XPEnology. 

Maybe one feature request to make it completely headless would be to add a reboot choice in the main menu so you don't have to do this on the server itself and could just go to your router, look which IP the server got and do the rest on your computer without having a monitor/keyboard connected to the server.

In general (not for this bootloader) it would be fun to know if it's possible to add a list of HBA that are supporting more than 8 drives and if they work in XPEnology.

Hello!
There is a big problem with hard drive hibernation. DSM settings do not affect HDD hibernation and system hibernation in any way. The LED indicates that some information is being written to the HDD with a period of 3-30 seconds, in all likelihood preventing it from falling asleep. I looked in the processes, these are system logs written on the HDD.
Help solve the problem of hibernation and sleep, using the system in this form is difficult, noisy, consumes power and shortens the life of the HDD.
My configuration is very simple, i3-6100, gigabyte ga-h110m-s2 (1151 sockets) and 8 GB of RAM. +2 hard drives 500 GB each.

Hi, just came here to say my virtualized setup on proxmox works.

I installed it using arpl 1.0beta 2 with DS3622xs+ DSM 7.1.1-42962 Update 2

selected the necessary modules V9FS and ACPID and build the loader successfully.

I experience a significant slowdown on the virtio network driver when doing an iperf3 speed test between several hosts:

WIN10 is physical machine connected on gigabit network swich

when running iperf3 

From win10 to proxmox host :  933 Mbits/sec -> normal speed

from win10 tot debian guest virtio nic: 930Mbits/sec -> normal speed

from win10  tot dsm virtio nic: 220Mbits/sec -> abnormal speed

from proxmox host to debian guest virtio nic: 7.35 Gbits/sec -> acceptable

from proxmox host to dsm guest virtio nic:  6.05 Gbits/sec -> acceptable

I tried changing the nic to intel E1000 as a virtual NIC. speed between win10 machine and dsm guest, speed improves to 400Mbits/sec but speed between virtual hosts slows down to same 400Mbits/s

The network card on the proxmox host is a builtin Realtek RTL8111GR

I wonder if there is a problem with the virtio network drivers and this version of DSM?

I noticed also that acpid button doenst work when invoking shutdown from proxmox console.

Maybe that modules isn't compatible with this version of DSM?

Great loader, by the way.. Been using it on VMware and have done some testing on Bare metal (all good so far).

I'm finally thinking of upgrading my main NAS - which is still running on 6.2.3 using Jun's loader (bare metal).

If I create a boot USB using this new loader, should it update to DSM 7 and keep the data?

I've read some of the updates reporting, and it looks that way, but wanted to double check!

I might wait until the loader comes out of Beta, so just planning ahead!  :)

hello i would love to ask for help regarding usb ports. i have selected as DS3622xs. when i plug usb drive i get the system recognize it as internal drive. 

even the flash drive. 

how do i solve it ? i would like to share files from external hdd to the nertwork.

the usb flash drive shows as disk 21

thanks,

3 hours ago, vizkoze said:

selected the necessary modules V9FS and ACPID and build the loader successfully.

I experience a significant slowdown on the virtio network driver when doing an iperf3 speed test between several hosts:

when running iperf3 

I tried changing the nic to intel E1000 as a virtual NIC. speed between win10 machine and dsm guest, speed improves to 400Mbits/sec but speed between virtual hosts slows down to same 400Mbits/s

I wonder if there is a problem with the virtio network drivers and this version of DSM?

I noticed also that acpid button doenst work when invoking shutdown from proxmox console.

Just an update:

i reverted to DS3615xs with dsm DSM 7.1.1-42962 Update 2 and the virtio network interface is much quicker:

iperf3 from WIN10 fysical machine tot DSM guest gives me  767 Mbits/sec. I can live with that number.

21 hours ago, vizkoze said:

when running iperf3 

The acpid button will work when calling shutdown from the proxmox console if in the VM settings QEMU Guest Agent = disable

Just taking the time to say thank yo to the OP and all who's work he built upon.  Got this working easily with my Asrock J4105 baremetal build.  I run it headless and always found it annoying to hook it up to a monitor and connect a keyboard to update the bootloader but all I did was check my router to see what new device connected (after booting up).  I got the ip address that way and simply used the port listed in the instructions to be able to access the bootloader config and get it set up.

I had one small hickup and it was that my serial number was said to be invalid.  I added it anyway but couldn't log into my synology account to setup ddns but realized it was because I didn't enter the MAC1 that corresponded to the serial number.  I entered it in the config file on the usb stick I have the bootloader on and it now works perfectly.

Thanks again!

Hi all was really excited to see this and went ahead and installed it very straight forward even for me where other ways of trying to install redpill manually all failed, im running a i5 pc with 28gb ddr3 ram. I installed DS3622xs+onto the system setup all my hard drives etc but the whole system is running so slow even from booting the machine takes around 4 mins to get started and everything is running really sluggish i dont know what im doing wrong just cant figure it out has anyone else had similar issues or if someone could give me a insite to what im doing wrong it would be really appreciated many thanks Also ive noticed the internet keeps dropping out of it 1 min i would have 8mb speed next i would have 900mb 

Edited by gazzac72

1 hour ago, MrHammond said:

Yes, doing it via the web GUI is nice. But I'm blind and using a screenreader, NVDA in my case. The web GUI isn't accessible when using a screenreader so that's why I need to use SSH. 

So what are the credentials to login via SSH when using this loader?

Thanks in advance.

Hi Hammond 

I believe the default ssh password is: 

Redp1IL-1s-4weSomE

Best regards