XPEnology Community

Automated RedPill Loader (ARPL)

fbelavenuto

On 7/3/2022 at 6:41 AM, bonestaak said:

I did  cmdline menu  show SATA  see printscreen but then what?  new driver?  i see there are 2 controllers, i have attached 2 drives to 1 and 1 (ssd) to the other.  But after restart there is only 1 drive available.   How to make a drive map?

Schermafbeelding 2022-07-03 om 11.33.14.jpg

In your case it should work! I really don't know what could be happening. DSM has native drivers for SATA controllers.
Which DSM model are you using?

On 7/3/2022 at 7:20 AM, pocopico said:

@fbelavenuto I've downloaded and i'm studying your work. 

Unfortunately due to TC not being able to perform kexec, the buildroot was your best choice. 

I'm not a big fan of YML, but I personally like that you went a step forward and refactored the RP Loader image creation process as this had also a number of limitations.

Here are a few thoughts,

You could use my repo that holds already compiled modules if you want to speed up the addon creation. Purley is not on my list though.  You can also skip unessesary hardware detection like (ata_piix) or AHCI etc. You can use a fully automated process by just selecting the model or an advanced mode that you can tweek things. (its a bit more compicated for people that dont understand the details).

Again very good approach and to the right direction.

Very thanks @pocopico, I appreciate your opinion.

42 minutes ago, bonestaak said:

And also Virtual Machine Manager does not work,  When making Cluster... Plof  program ended and you can not see logbook as the program must first ended making cluster

Schermafbeelding 2022-07-04 om 17.36.46.jpg

Boot back into the loader config and add your NICs (netif_num and mac1 to macX) using the commandline menu or edit the user config file manually. rebuild shouldn't be required.

e.g.

cmdline:
  mac1: "AC1D5B19E0E3"
  mac2: "AC1D5B19E0E4"
  netif_num: "2"

Edited by trublu
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, trublu said:

Boot back into the loader config and add your NICs (netif_num and mac1 to macX) using the commandline menu or edit the user config file manually. rebuild shouldn't be required.

e.g.

cmdline:
  mac1: "AC1D5B19E0E3"
  mac2: "AC1D5B19E0E4"
  netif_num: "2"

Hmm,  i just have 1 Nic,  but should i insert my nics mac adres?  or just all the 3 rows from you here above?  and how about netif_num?

9 minutes ago, bonestaak said:

Hmm,  i just have 1 Nic,  but should i insert my nics mac adres?  or just all the 3 rows from you here above?  and how about netif_num?

It is not necessary to set the variables if you do not want to change the default MAC of your card.

If you have 1 card and want to change MAC, set mac1="xxxxxxxxxxxx" and netif_num=1

Your MAC and SERIAL should match (from same machine) or generated together by the loader. The only reason NOT to change mac is if you WOL (wake on lan) otherwise, generated serial and mac go hand in hand, for compatibility purposes.

edit: to clearify, these are all different numbers and entries. Serial/Mac1/Mac2/etc

Edited by phone guy

4 minutes ago, bonestaak said:

Find MAC  in another menu (sysinfo) of Synology

1833854926_Schermafbeelding2022-07-04om20_08_57.thumb.jpg.2d9b5ab2582c8c81b8d4a08b38ea536b.jpg

I noticed a bug. "internalportcfg" should have a "0x" in front, my script got it wrong. This could be your problem.

PS: Is not necessary both r8168 and r8169, choose only one. I recommends r8168

Edited by fbelavenuto

@fbelavenuto Please note that redpill-misc extension takes care of some failing systemctl services that are depending on other failing services and that might cause an immediate shutdown upon IP access.

Maybe you should include that as well to the list of patches.

Reference :

https://github.com/pocopico/redpill-load/blob/master/redpill-misc/releases/install-all.sh

• Like 2

Thank you @fbelavenuto

I downloaded the arpl-0.1-alpha2.img.zip and created the boot disk.

Using "menu.sh" I built the DS3617 loader after adding the "mpt3sas" add-on.

Worked like a dream. I was able to boot the DSM loader and install DSM 7.1.0-42261.

I can see all my 8 SAS drives on my SAS controller and create a Storage Pool.

Using Resilio Sync I have moved all my media content (4.5 TB) to my new DS3617 and have installed Plex.

I am so happy !!!

Thank you again @fbelavenuto

image.thumb.png.a34a05cd58bccbe66f9a022f62b5ac17.png

image.thumb.png.7d4f47526047e67052ddfce2ef77342c.png

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, pocopico said:

@fbelavenuto Please note that redpill-misc extension takes care of some failing systemctl services that are depending on other failing services and that might cause an immediate shutdown upon IP access.

Maybe you should include that as well to the list of patches.

Reference :

https://github.com/pocopico/redpill-load/blob/master/redpill-misc/releases/install-all.sh

Thanks @pocopico, I'll add to my loader.

I tested DVA1622 on baremetal with Lenovo ThinkCentre Edge 71 Intel i3 2120

fbelavenuto how can I get an img of the pendrive to try to install it in VMWare using a vmdk? I have been testing on virtual with VMWare and it gives me problems as you see with the zImage, and when it lets me build and boot I do not get ip or detect Synology Assistant even though I download the Intel e1000 drivers.

I enter with WinSCP into the folders, but I can´t find an image as with rploader.

Captura de pantalla 2022-07-06 204106.png

Captura de pantalla 2022-07-06 204008.png

Captura de pantalla 2022-07-06 203902.png

Captura de pantalla 2022-07-06 203749.png