XPEnology Community

Time to upgrade - and ask questions :'D

Hi there,

It's been quite a while that I have been using the DSM 6.1 version with Jun's v1.02... But time goes by and I would need new functionnalities from the DSM (websockets on the RP mainly).

I have been readin (again) all the documentation and I think to be ready:

- Get the v1.03b (I will stay on the 3615xs version)

- Edit the synoboot.img with PID/VID etc.

- Download the DSM_DS3615xs_25426 pat file

But... Main question: I have pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeenty of applications, docker containers, even scripts and other dirty stuff on my nas (external packages installed, RP configuration, and so on). Will this install delete everything? I mean, I will unplug my hard drives containing data before the upgrade, but what about all the rest? Will I have to reinstall/reconfig everything?

Thanks for your feedback

It's always a good practice to keep a backup of your data.

To answer your question, updating to a new version of Synology, by design it will/should not cause any issue with your data or your configuration.

There is a chance that some packages might have a repair button beside of them but that is normal I guess.

On 10/19/2022 at 3:33 AM, darkneo said:

- Get the v1.03b (I will stay on the 3615xs version)

I suggest you don't. Move to 3622XS+. 3615XS is obsolete. You shouldn't have any issues moving to 3622SX+ I know didn't and many others as well.

Please read this: 

On 10/19/2022 at 3:33 AM, darkneo said:

But... Main question: I have pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeenty of applications, docker containers, even scripts and other dirty stuff on my nas (external packages installed, RP configuration, and so on). Will this install delete everything? I mean, I will unplug my hard drives containing data before the upgrade, but what about all the rest? Will I have to reinstall/reconfig everything?

Most DSM legacy configuration settings should remain intact after the upgrade. However if you did some tinkering around through SSH those might get lost. If you are going from DSM 6.1 to DSM 7.x a lot of packages will get updated. In my case the repair button after upgrade was greyed out for some reason and I needed to manually uninstall the packages and then reinstall them with the option to keep configuration so everything remained fine. Anyway, that's exactly what the repair button does: backup config>uninstall>reinstall new version. 

As stated above I highly suggest you do a backup, use a different usb flash key, remove your drives and try and install on a blank drive. This will at least show you if your installation is fine or you need to configure other stuff on the BIOS etc. Get confortable with the loader first and all the command lines. Then proceed to make the actual upgrade to your installation.