XPEnology Community

IP address discrepancy between TCRP/ARPL loader and DSM

Hello,

After launching TCRP Loader Friend, it displays an IP address (example: 192.168.1.132).
Normally, this IP address is the one to connect to the NAS.
But, I defined a static IP in DSM (192.168.1.98) and so it doesn't match.
Could it be possible that the DSM address is the one displayed by the loader when it is static.

1 hour ago, xonic said:

Hello,

After launching ARPL Loader, it displays an IP address (example: 192.168.1.132).
Could it be possible that the DSM address is the one displayed by the loader when it is static.

Can't you define a static IP in your router instead? Then it should not be an issue I think?

• Polanskiman changed the title to IP address discrepancy between TCRP/ARPL loader and DSM
3 hours ago, xonic said:

Hello,

After launching TCRP Loader Friend, it displays an IP address (example: 192.168.1.132).

As stated above, unless your DSM is also your DHCP server I would suggest not setting a static IP directly on DSM but rather on your router or whatever devices controls IP attribution. 

TCRP is a completely separate "mini" OS that loads before DSM. Enabling "friend" functionality causes it to load a TCP/IP stack and attempt to gain a DHCP lease so it can connect to the Internet and download updates *for TCRP*, not DSM.

You can configure TCRP to also use a static address (in the user_config.json), but whether you use DHCP or static for TCRP it has no impact on the networking config for DSM.

You could also create a static lease on your DHCP server, tied to the NICs MAC address. That way TCRP and DSM will always get the same IP address.

• Like 1

Hello,
Sorry for the double post but I didn't know where to post.

Thanks for your answers, I think I will then define a static IP for TCRP/ARPL which will be the same as for DSM.

Can someone tell me how to define this static IP in the user_config.json file

Il y a 2 heures, xonic a dit :

Hello,
Sorry for the double post but I didn't know where to post.

Thanks for your answers, I think I will then define a static IP for TCRP/ARPL which will be the same as for DSM.

I don't find user_config.json in ARPL, how to config static ip ?

13 hours ago, xonic said:

You will see this in the user_config.json:

"ipsettings": {
"ipset": "",
"ipaddr": "",
"ipgw": "",
"ipdns": "",
"ipproxy": ""
},

Please read below and subsequent posts before you start configuring:

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/62871-tinycore-redpill-loader-tcrp-development-release-09/?do=findComment&comment=346003

Hello,
My plan is to install DSM on a physical machine that will be among other things a DHCP server, that's why I have to define a static IP. 

If the loader gets a dynamic IP and then I set another static IP in DSM, I get an ARP cache poisoning notification, probably due to different IPs for the same MAC address.

But before installing on baremetal, I test the different solutions via VMs on VMWare.

I compare the 2 proposed solutions TCRP and ARPL to find the one that would suit me best.

Thanks for the link explaining the static IP configuration for TCRP Friend. After testing, it works well.

Now, I would like to do the same thing with ARPL, but I don't know how to define a static IP in ARPL. 
I tried to set static in /etc/network/interfaces, 
 but the file is reset at boot time.

Thanks you for your help