XPEnology Community

Drive warning

Polanskiman

Hello everyone,

So 2 days ago we had a big fat storm. Lightings and thunders. Power outage. Murphy law came into play and UPS batteries died soon after juice was out. To top it off, DSM was doing a data scrubbing when electricity went out. After juice came back Volume was showing it was in critical conditional, that errors were found and that all hell would brake lose if I didn't change the drive. Right. so I run a quick SMART test and it came as healthy. Then run an extended SMART test which got stuck at 90% so I canceled it. I then run a data scrubbing and it came fine. Run another extended SMART test and it came as healthy. There is no bad sectors or any errors of the sort, yet the drive is still showing me a warning sign. This is annoying. The drive looks fine to me, but the power outage probably triggered that error somehow and now DSM refuses to understand the drive if fine. Any way to remove that warning?

Screen Shot 2022-10-11 at 19.09.59.jpg

Screen Shot 2022-10-11 at 19.59.36.jpg

Screen Shot 2022-10-11 at 19.59.54.jpg

Screen Shot 2022-10-11 at 20.00.29.jpg

Try copying these files out of /var/log (in case restore is needed), then delete them, and reboot

smart_quick_log

smart_extend_log

disk_overview.xml

This would solve it for sure in DSM 6, but it may be that some of this data is now database-embedded in DSM 7.  Post results and I'll dig some more if necessary.

6 minutes ago, flyride said:

Try copying these files out of /var/log (in case restore is needed), then delete them, and reboot

smart_quick_log

smart_extend_log

disk_overview.xml

This would solve it for sure in DSM 6, but it may be that some of this data is now database-embedded in DSM 7.  Post results and I'll dig some more if necessary.

I had looked around and had found this https://www.reddit.com/r/synology/comments/kktmon/reset_status_of_failing_drive/ which states what you say but ended up not working so I didn't go through that procedure.

4 minutes ago, flyride said:

Here's the method for deleting your matched serial numbers from the DSM 7 databases:

https://community.synology.com/enu/forum/2/post/151784

Beautiful. I should have searched a bit longer!

Ok it was a success. So I ended up editing 2 databases but without deleting all the entries relating to my drive serial number. I only deleted the entries that showed an error. I initially tried the normal .dump command with sqlite but ended up with some encrypted database 🤷‍♂️ so I went animalistic and simply copied over the databases to my Mac, opened them with 'DB Browser for SQlite' and deleted the entries that were offending me. I then copied over the database back to their original location in the NAS. Needless to say I obviously kept the original databases as backup in case my little stunt wouldn't work.

.SYNODISKTESTDB: contains what type of test was done (quick or extended or was aborted)

.SYNODISKDB: shows the status of the disk (warning, critical etc)

the third one:

SYNODISKHEALTHDB: contains the disks error count. I didn't see the need to edit this database since all disks are showing 0 errors.

Now, running an extended SMART test for good measure.

As if it had never happened 😁

Screen Shot 2022-10-11 at 23.21.28.jpg

Screen Shot 2022-10-11 at 23.22.35.jpg

Problem solved!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1