XPEnology Community

I think I've screwed up... update to DSM 6.0.2

JP76

So I've updated my N54L to DSM 6.0.2-8451, completed the install and now I have no volumes and when I try to create a new one it says it will erase all my files... Any way I can restore the files I had?

PS - I did the upgrade through the DSM interface and the option I've picked said it would erase data but not the files...

Thanks,

J.

Did you update the image on your USB?

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=20216

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=22100

I changed the loader as detailed and used DS3615xs 6.0.2 Jun's Mod V1.01 Changed the config file, all that stuff and booted it on my N54L. No errors (last message is that the interface is running) but I'm unable to find the NAS using the Synology Assistant :sad:

Have you checked your router to see if it gets an IP from the DHCP service?

Thanks for your reply. No, it's not detected on the network. When I use the USB with DSM 5 I can access the NAS but not with the DSM 6 USB key (it doesn't get an IP so likely a driver issue). ~Is there anyway I can access the files, copy them elsewhere and reconstruct the RAID?

Hang on. So you originally booted from the DSM 6 key, it was found on the network and you updated it to DSM6 via the web interface. Now after the install, you can no longer find it on the network? Is it still booting with the AMD option?+

And yes, you should be able to mount the disks under linux and recover. TI have seen a post somewhere and sometime on how to use mdadm to do so, but I can't remember where....... sorry

Hang on. So you originally booted from the DSM 6 key, it was found on the network and you updated it to DSM6 via the web interface. Now after the install, you can no longer find it on the network? Is it still booting with the AMD option?+

And yes, you should be able to mount the disks under linux and recover. TI have seen a post somewhere and sometime on how to use mdadm to do so, but I can't remember where....... sorry

Not exactly. I originally booted from a DSM 5 key. I've updated to DSM 6 from the control panel using my browser. There was a migration step that allowed you to delete some data (according to it) but retain my files. After that 2 things happen:

1. If I use a DSM 5 key I'm able to boot and log on to the control panel but it says no volumes exist. I assigned a static IP address though which still allows me to access the control panel.

2. If I use the DSM 6 key the NIC it doesn't get any IP.

I successfully created a DSM6 key and booted my N54L and it is found on the network. So, I guess that there is a problem with the creation of your key.

I followed this: ==> viewtopic.php?f=2&t=22100&p=76338#p76338

but the changes I made to grub.cfg were to:

set my VID and PID;

set sn and mac;

Sataportmap to 4

and I got frustrated with trying to set the default boot menu item :???: and just deleted all the ones I didn't want leaving the AMD option.

Did you try http://10.10.10.3:5000 ?

If you use http://10.10.10.3 it should redirect to the set-up page if you're doing an install or the web page if DSM is set-up and web hosting is configured.

https://10.10.10.3:5001 if you had set-up the ssl and migrated that port should still be working.

Edit: Those port numbers are only relevant if you clean install or migrate and didn't change the default port values in the old installation.

Not exactly. I originally booted from a DSM 5 key. I've updated to DSM 6 from the control panel using my browser. There was a migration step that allowed you to delete some data (according to it) but retain my files. After that 2 things happen:

1. If I use a DSM 5 key I'm able to boot and log on to the control panel but it says no volumes exist. I assigned a static IP address though which still allows me to access the control panel.

And I believe that's where your problem lies. You used Xpenoboot 5.2 to update to DSM 6.0.2. That's a no no in my opinion. Xpenoboot was never meant to be used with DSM 6. Both loaders use different ways to hack different DSM versions.

Reboot your router. Make sure MAC, s/n, and pid/vid are set correctly. Then try reinstalling.

Did you try http://10.10.10.3:5000 ?

If you use http://10.10.10.3 it should redirect to the set-up page if you're doing an install or the web page if DSM is set-up and web hosting is configured.

https://10.10.10.3:5001 if you had set-up the ssl and migrated that port should still be working.

Edit: Those port numbers are only relevant if you clean install or migrate and didn't change the default port values in the old installation.

Yes same issue :sad:

And I believe that's where your problem lies. You used Xpenoboot 5.2 to update to DSM 6.0.2. That's a no no in my opinion. Xpenoboot was never meant to be used with DSM 6. Both loaders use different ways to hack different DSM versions.

Reboot your router. Make sure MAC, s/n, and pid/vid are set correctly. Then try reinstalling.

MAC, s/n, pid/vis settings are correct. What do you mean with reinstalling?

By the way, when booting the NL54 latest showed status is that it's booting the kernel.

I just want to access my files so I would also consider downgrading DSM 6.0.2 to XPenoboot 5.2 if possible

The problem is that you didn't follow the correct update path. Because you have tried to upgrade from within the DSM update process your system is in an unknown state. I'm not going to test it to see what happens and I doubt anyone would spend time investigating an edge case that's caused by user error.

You have few options:

1: Try and force an update with your machine in it's current state 6.x to 6.x using Jun's loader. Edit the grub to select the default boot option or press the arrow keys to interrupt the boot process. Personally I wouldn't spend too much time on this option as it's an unknown.

2: Roll back to the most recent Xpenology version and recover to a known good position and then follow the tutorial for installing 6.x using the migration process.

3: If your data is safely backed up and verified use a linux boot disk and trash the partitions on the drives. Once your drives are cleared of Synology partition data follow the tutorial and rebuild from scratch. If I were in your situation that's what I would opt for. In fact I wasn't in your situation and after testing my migrated build I decided to do a fresh install (bit of ocd I wanted a clean build rather than gaining any other benefit).

Make sure you use the AMD installation option from the grub, if you miss that step you will be pissing in the wind.

You're going to have to bite the bullet and pull the trigger on one of those choices imho. I'm crap with linux though so maybe someone has better ideas involving some linux magic?

The problem is that you didn't follow the correct update path. Because you have tried to upgrade from within the DSM update process your system is in an unknown state. I'm not going to test it to see what happens and I doubt anyone would spend time investigating an edge case that's caused by user error.

You have few options:

1: Try and force an update with your machine in it's current state 6.x to 6.x using Jun's loader. Edit the grub to select the default boot option or press the arrow keys to interrupt the boot process. Personally I wouldn't spend too much time on this option as it's an unknown.

2: Roll back to the most recent Xpenology version and recover to a known good position and then follow the tutorial for installing 6.x using the migration process.

3: If your data is safely backed up and verified use a linux boot disk and trash the partitions on the drives. Once your drives are cleared of Synology partition data follow the tutorial and rebuild from scratch. If I were in your situation that's what I would opt for. In fact I wasn't in your situation and after testing my migrated build I decided to do a fresh install (bit of ocd I wanted a clean build rather than gaining any other benefit).

Make sure you use the AMD installation option from the grub, if you miss that step you will be pissing in the wind.

You're going to have to bite the bullet and pull the trigger on one of those choices imho. I'm crap with linux though so maybe someone has better ideas involving some linux magic?

Thanks, any clue if I can rollback to 5.2.4 and how to do it?