XPEnology Community

Plex Upgrade Question ?

Green

My understanding is that Plex releases updates faster than Synology tests and certifies them. But you should always be fine manually installing the spk from the Plex site. So you have two options, upgrade if/when Synology releases an update through the official channel, or, periodically log in to your Plex server and go to the configuration area and notice if there is a link that says that an update is available (it'll be a hyperlink). I do the latter. Click the link, download the spk, and use the Synology interface to manually install the spk. If something were to happen you could uninstall and reinstall the Synology official Plex package I guess (it won't hurt your library I don't think), but I've never had an issue.

1. install Docker package

2. Open Docker

3. in "registry" tab: search for "linuxserver/plex"

4. in "image" tab: select "linuxserver/plex" and click "start" button

5b. Type in a container name, e.g. plex

6. click "additional settings"

7a. in tab "volume": click "add folder", select a folder you want to store your plex config (+meta data) in and use /config as container folder.

7b. in tab "volume": click "add folder", select your media source folder as read only and enter a target folder in the container e.g. /mnt/media

7c. repeat step 7b for each media source folder you want to add

8. option 1) in tab "network", check "use same network as docker host", option 2) in tab "Port Configurations", click the "+" button. Add forward for port 32400 remote and 32400 local. 1st option operates in host mode (tools like plexPy do see the real client ip's).

9. click "ok" to finishe the installation

10. In tab "Container": start the container.

You can copy data from a pre-existing plex installation in the folder you have used in step 7a)

e.g. /volume1/docker/plex/config, you have to creat it yourself and copy the plex "Library" folder into it. (If unsure: plex documentation should point out the paths)

Enjoy!

• 7 months later...
2 hours ago, epicurean said:

HI Haydibe,

Can you explain 7a onwards in closer detail please? I do not quite understand. 

much thanks

Plex requires two key components to work, the first is your media (videos, music, pictures etc).

The second is a location for Plex to store its settings such the metadata and database.

With Docker, you must mount data you want access to as by default everything inside the docker environment is volatile. This means whenever you re-create or update the container, all data within is lost forever. Therefore data you want to keep safe must be mounted; after all you don't want all you media and Plex settings lost every time you decide to update the container.

On 7/14/2017 at 5:25 AM, epicurean said:

Thank you @filippo333

So if my media(eg movies, tv shows) is in volume 2, would my plex files be in volume 1 usually?

What are the typical folder in 7a?

Would it be better( eg ease of plex clients finding plex media server) if net is bridge or host mode?

thank you 

Bare in mind that this is just for linuxserver/plex, other containers have different requirements.

Essentially just mount the two required folders when setting up the container. The docker mount points should look like this:

Folder                     Mount Path

/MyMediaFolder     /data

/MyPlexConfig       /config

• --net=host - Shares host networking with container, required.
  • -v /config - Plex library location. This can grow very large, 50gb+ is likely for a large collection.
  • -v /data/xyz - Media goes here. Add as many as needed e.g. /data/movies, /data/tv, etc.
  • -v /transcode - Path for transcoding folder, optional.
  • -e VERSION=latest - Set whether to update plex or not - see Setting up application section.
  • -e PGID= for for GroupID - see below for explanation
  • -e PUID= for for UserID - see below for explanation
  • -e TZ - for timezone information eg Europe/London, etc

One other thing you may need to do is set your GroupID and UserID to the be same as your Synology user with access to your media. You can do this by typing "cat /etc/passwd" via SSH-ing into your Xpenology box.

For example, if your UserID is 1024 and your GroupID is 100; you'd set the PGID and PUID as Docker environment variables shown in the linuxserver/plex documentation accordingly:

PUID=    1024

PGID=    100

As for Bridge mode vs Host mode, the default works fine. There is normally not a good reason to change it unless you need a different IP address than your Xpenology system.