XPEnology Community

DS920+ Device Tree & co

AdictiK5

Question

Hello,

I have an Asrock Q2900M with 8gb of RAM and an Asmedia 1166 sata x10 expansion card.

I tried to install DSM 7 versions DS918+ and DS3622xs+ without success. Each time the sata ports of the motherboard were well recognized but not those of the PCI card. TCRP detected 32 for me... And even if I entered 9 (because 10 or more does not work if I understood correctly) it still does not work, it only finds me 6. I think that some sata ports are in port multiplier on this part :(

All that to say that by switching to the DS920+ version and removing the SataPortMap and DiskIdxMap lines it works, it detects me well 2 + 10 hard drives.

My question is, is there a risk of going through the "Device Tree" mode of the DS920+ compared to the DS918+?
Are there any additional settings for this mode?
How can I see all the hard disks graphically on the interface because at the moment I only see 4?

Thanks in advance.

11 answers to this question

This card uses a port multiplier which is not supported by DSM.  This is well documented.

This eBay listing even specifically calls out Synology as a limitation.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/234683011801?chn=ps&mkevt=1&mkcid=28

On 10/3/2022 at 10:03 AM, AdictiK5 said:

How can I see all the hard disks graphically on the interface because at the moment I only see 4?

This is hardcoded to the DSM platform.  I have not seen anyone change this yet.

The Synology expansion units have a completely different device connectivity structure that would be very difficult to emulate, while we generally are just adding SATA ports on top of those that are natively embedded in the platform.  Bluntly, our way is simpler.

If you really wanted to make the graphic, somehow grafting the images and logic in from one of the other units would probably be the easiest way. But it would get overwritten on each upgrade, and it is, again, purely cosmetic.  For most of us, not really worth the cycles.

• Like 1

Le 06/10/2022 à 06:00, gadreel a dit :

If I am not mistaken, no-one did any work to support expansion with XPEnology.

At the moment there is no way to view graphically above 4 drives. It's a small minor cosmetic. You get used to it. I have it also with DS918+ and 6 drives...

Yes it's nothing dramatic but just prettier :)

Le 06/10/2022 à 10:35, WiteWulf a dit :

If you want to be able to see more drives in the DSM UI you could emulate a Diskstation with more bays. The DS3622xs+ (which is well supported) has 12 drive bays, it also supports all CPU architectures, iirc.

I can't use the DS3622xs, it uses the "sataportmap/diskidxmap" which doesn't work with my PCI expansion card :(

Le 07/10/2022 à 16:52, flyride a dit :

The Synology expansion units have a completely different device connectivity structure that would be very difficult to emulate, while we generally are just adding SATA ports on top of those that are natively embedded in the platform.  Bluntly, our way is simpler.

If you really wanted to make the graphic, somehow grafting the images and logic in from one of the other units would probably be the easiest way. But it would get overwritten on each upgrade, and it is, again, purely cosmetic.  For most of us, not really worth the cycles.

Yes it's a shame that I can't see all my hard drives like I did on DSM6.

I'd rather have something that works, than try to tweak it and break it.

I thought that we could in a configuration file, set the number of disks that we wanted to see graphically.

Too bad, but thank you for your answers ;)

On 10/7/2022 at 4:52 PM, flyride said:

While I completely agree, what differentiates the DSM 7 and DSM 6 in this regard, or Jun's loader vs rest?

If i remember correctly, the DS918+ with Jun's loader on DSM 6 would show the expansion unit if more than 4 drives were attached?

I could be mistaken but i seem to recall that at least.

In DSM 6, the slot positions were generically depicted to the limit of MaxDisks, regardless of how many slots were physically in the donor platform.

In DSM 7, there is a graphical representation of the platform and any additional slot positions are not shown.

Again, in the detail list of drives, all active devices are visible, present and fully operational.

Hello, I allow myself to use my post to ask another question.
I have a problem with hibernation. My NAS never goes into hibernation. I tried to install a script found on this forum (link) with no success and nothing in the logs.
I did nothing more than install the system and configure the RAID.
Do you have an idea?

Thank you