Integrated Remote Console

HTML5    .NET    Java Web Start   

License Type

iLO Advanced

iLO Firmware Version

2.81 Jul 27 2022

================================================

2018 ROM Version

https://homeservershow.com/forums/topic/16219-proliant-microserver-gen8-j06-server-bios-20180122-5-mar-2018/

2019 ROM Version (current version)

https://support.hpe.com/connect/s/softwaredetails?language=en_US&softwareId=MTX_71b9ad7e388d434fb62f7542e3

To update without booting from iso, or from OS, you can extract the CPQJ0613.684 file from the exe with 7-zip and upload it to the ILO firmware update page instead. A reboot is required to activate or display as the new version

• Like 2

My processor is an Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1265L V2. I am not sure of the differences between V1 and V3 CPU's or if it makes a difference. Like I said before, I don't recall making any changes in the BIOS at the time of the CPU change. The only thing I can think of is while the motherboard was out to replace the CPU. It made sense to change the button battery on the motherboard with a new one. Maybe worth a try disconnecting the motherboard button battery for a few minutes and replacing it to see if that fixes the anomaly.

• Like 1

Must be the v2 Processor!

Because I Got the 1265L for around 60$ on ebay.

There were no v2 around at that time. Or way to expensive.

IIRC the v3 isn't even compatible with our gen8 due to different socket.

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/compare.html?productIds=52275,75463,65728

The normal 1265L isn't even listed as that's some strange 1260L with GPU included.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Me too i have migrate 4 x 4Tb hdd from a xpeno ds920+ to a baremetal HP Microserver gen8 using latest ARPL

all migration proces is done and perfect

Question is it's good or bad to change filesistem volume to BTRFS (now its ext4)

I weill use HPMgen8  at home for general ussage:

- store many family photos

- photo station

- store movies

Its deserve to delete ext4 volume and make new one btrfs ?

• 1 month later...

Hello,

I plan to install DSM 7.1.1-42962 Update 4 on a HP Gen 8 with Xeon E3-1265L v2 and I found a lot of information in this topics (BIOS SATA AHCI, DS3622xs+, ...).

Thank you all very much !!

Now, I have few questions about your choices :

- Why do you prefer ARPL instead of TCRP for this model (I always use Jun or TCRP for my old NAS) ?

- Should I disable the HP RAID interface (I think so, because of the driver issue) ?

- Does the disks order is the same as physical bay with the command "./rploader.sh satamap" ?

- Is it possible to use a SSD as first drive (for DSM) and a RAID volume with other disks for data without issue (My goal is to prevent volume issue if an update go wrong) ?

- I know loaders well but feel free to give me hints for this particular hardware

• 2 weeks later...

I have installed my NAS and answers to myself :

- Why do you prefer ARPL instead of TCRP for this model (I always use Jun or TCRP for my old NAS) ?

ARPL seems to be the simplest loader builder

- Should I disable the HP RAID interface (I think so, because of the driver issue) ?

Yes, by choosing SATA AHCI. There is no driver for this RAID interface.

- Does the disks order is the same as physical bay with the command "./rploader.sh satamap" ?

Yes, no command needed (with ARPL in my case)

- Is it possible to use a SSD as first drive (for DSM) and a RAID volume with other disks for data without issue (My goal is to prevent volume issue if an update go wrong) ?

No, each disk contains the OS

- I know loaders well but feel free to give me hints for this particular hardware

I found a lot of fresh information in the posts from @Madasafish  @nemesis122

Edited by freak
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/10/2023 at 1:13 PM, freak said:

I have installed my NAS and answers to myself :

ARPL seems to be the simplest loader builder

Yes, by choosing SATA AHCI. There is no driver for this RAID interface.

Yes, no command needed (with ARPL in my case)

No, each disk contains the OS

I found a lot of fresh information in the posts from @Madasafish  @nemesis122

How did you make a ssd as first drive for your DSM?

, no command needed (with ARPL in my case)

- Is it possible to use a SSD as first drive (for DSM) and a RAID volume with other disks for data without issue (My goal is to prevent volume issue if an update go wrong) ?

Le 19/03/2023 à 13:34, JP-PC supplies a dit :

How did you make a ssd as first drive for your DSM?

, no command needed (with ARPL in my case)

- Is it possible to use a SSD as first drive (for DSM) and a RAID volume with other disks for data without issue (My goal is to prevent volume issue if an update go wrong) ?

You can't choose the OS location, because it is managed by DSM, on a partition of each drive.

However, with your SSD you can activate 'SSD cache' in Storage Manager that will permit to optimize performance.

Edited by freak

4 hours ago, freak said:

However, with your SSD you can activate 'SSD cache' in Storage Manager that will permit to optimize performance.

one ssd only enables read cache and thats not much use in home environment, often more useful as data drive for docker/vm's or as faster temporary space (if there is any kind of faster network then 1G, with just 1G that the network will hold you back most of the time), also sata drives are limited to ~550MB/s by sata so even 2 disks as write cache are not that impressive as it will still hold back a 10G network so either a 3-4 sata ssd configration or two nvme ssd's would be some real improvement (if you trust the cache, it that does not work as intended you might end up with a file system beyond repair/recovery)

4 hours ago, freak said:

, on a partition of each drive.

raid1 over all drives in the system except cache drives, that raid1 (system partition and swap)  is whats meant when you see a disk as initialized

• Thanks 2

On 1/30/2023 at 4:33 PM, aoprea said:

Me too i have migrate 4 x 4Tb hdd from a xpeno ds920+ to a baremetal HP Microserver gen8 using latest ARPL

all migration proces is done and perfect

Question is it's good or bad to change filesistem volume to BTRFS (now its ext4)

I weill use HPMgen8  at home for general ussage:

- store many family photos

- photo station

- store movies

Its deserve to delete ext4 volume and make new one btrfs ?

Hello, what are your results?

• 1 month later...

Migrated from DSM 6 to 7.1.1, I had 4x10TB drives, plus a 1TB SSD as the fifth in a HPG8 with a Xeon E31265v2 CPU, 16GB Ram.

I used the 'GUI' version of RedPill which could easily be driven from the ILO console.

I had a full backup of essential data, so not too worried about the outcome.

It did take a couple of attempts, (due to being stupid on my part), but it migrated all the data, yes I did have to amend some config going from 6 to 7 but generally the process was pretty straight forward.

System ROMJ06 04/04/2019

System ROM Date04/04/2019

Backup System ROMJ06 11/02/2015

Integrated Remote ConsoleHTML5    .NET    Java Web Start   

License TypeiLO Advanced

iLO Firmware Version2.82 Feb 06 2023

I did update iLO and System Firmware before the upgrade. Reason for upgrade, lost a 10TB drive, was a pig to find as even surface scan said ok, but full smart test was ok, however even as a fresh build with just that one drive in the NAS Xpenology would not boot, replaced with another new 10TB drive, system fine. No messages or anything about the drive going faulty, took a week to diagnose.

Thanks to all the masterminds who developed these redpill loaders.

• 6 months later...

Hi,
I have followed all the steps from Madasafish, but, unfortunately, I did not succeed ...
I've tried first with TCRP 10.0 (the latest available for download); the command "sudo ./rploader.sh build broadwellnk-7.1.0-42661" did not work, because broadwelink is not available, but worked with "sudo ./rploader.sh build ds3622xsp-7.1.0-42661". unfortunately, after reboot I receive the message: "error: symbol 'grub_disk_native_sectors' not found" (see screenshot).
I've then tried with TCRP 0.9.2.6 and "sudo ./rploader.sh build ds1621p-7.1.0-42661", but the same result.
I've tried arpl-1.1-beta2a.img, things seems to run, the DSM seems booting, but command prompt reappear but I cannot type commands and Synology Assistant cannot find the NAS (neither on the web interface it doesn't respond ...). On the ping it responds for 10-15 packets after the "Booting DSM" message appears, then it becomes not reachable.

Any advice is very well received!

image.png

• 1 month later...