XPEnology Community

Problem to install on HP Microserver GEN8 - 7.1-DS3622xs+-42661

ganatoci

On 10/3/2022 at 9:53 PM, Madasafish said:

TCRP v0.9.2.5 - advertises support (./rploader.sh) for...

broadwellnk-7.0.1-42218
broadwellnk-7.0.1-42218-JUN
broadwellnk-7.1.0-42621
broadwellnk-7.1.0-42661
broadwellnk-7.1.1-42951
broadwellnk-7.1.1-42962

hey bro.it seems like something went wrong .Current /home/tc size is 16M , try to keep it less than 1GB as it might not fit into your image.how can i deal with it?

On 10/3/2022 at 9:47 AM, Madasafish said:

@capillonpub

In your case if the stock Gen8 has never been used as a Synology NAS drive before, I would go for a fresh install to the latest DSM version 7.1.1-42962

Download pat file
synology_broadwellnk_3622xs+.pat - https://archive.synology.com/download/Os/DSM/7.1.1-42962-1-NanoPacked

Just replace two of the command lines shown above with these instead.

sudo ./rploader.sh listmods broadwellnk-7.1.1-42962

sudo ./rploader.sh build broadwellnk-7.1.1-42962

works perfectly, Thanks!

the only issue is that I cannot create SHR volume, only raid or JBOD? I've put only @ disks to test, I'll add 2 more and do it again.

Hello, 

i have also HP Gen8 G1610T. Here I should to mention i was on DS3615 - DSM 6.1.7. 

I have tried all the above, but still was stuck at 40%. 

"dom_szmax": "2048" didn't work. Different DSM versions didn't work.

Then i figured maybe I shouldn't force it to go with old settings. So on the second screen after clicking migrate button I clicked the second option - something like use new setup (don't remember exact words).

Lo and behold, it migrated no problem. Yes, I lost my settings, but i didn't lose files. After setting new user account i just mapped the drives in Windows. Now I have to set up my packages etc.

I am on TCRP 0.9.2.7 and DS3622xs+ DSM 7.1.1-42962-U1

Not the best outcome, but I don't have to copy anything from backups.

Hope this helps somebody.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, capillonpub said:

works perfectly, Thanks!

the only issue is that I cannot create SHR volume, only raid or JBOD? I've put only @ disks to test, I'll add 2 more and do it again.

Well I just respond to myself, I discovered that SHR is removed since DSM 6 (my other NAS is still on dsm5.2, waiting the new one is operational before upgrade!).

If you want SHR back you can do so by editing the synoinfo.conf>>> I'll check that to see if i'll go to SHR or stay on RAID5.

Another question: I will upgrade my CPU from G1610T to xeon e3-1265l, do I need to rebuild the setup?

Thanks,

Philippe

• Like 1

1 hour ago, capillonpub said:

Another question: I will upgrade my CPU from G1610T to xeon e3-1265l, do I need to rebuild the setup?

Thanks,

Philippe

Good question,

Co-incidentally, my Xeon e3-1265l is in the post winging it’s way to me. Hopefully it will arrive tomorrow.

I do not believe another DSM 7 rebuild will be required – but don’t quote me on that.

I will know better, once it arrives.

• Like 1

I did exactly the same CPU switch in my Gen8, there's absolutely no need to rebuild the system. It will "just work", just make sure you have some thermal paste for attaching the heatsink to the new CPU, and some decent cleaning fluid to the get the old thermal paste off the heatsink.

• Like 3

Thanks,

Do you know if it change something regarding the ram support? I've got 2 x 8Go DDR3 ECC buffered, that don't work right now in the Gen8, at least with the G1610T, that seems to support only ECC non-buffered. Maybe the Xeon e3-1265l will allows those ECC Buffered to work, or it is related to motherboard chipset?

17 hours ago, Madasafish said:

Many of the posts I read on this forum want to move away from SHR and return to RAID5. As it did not affect me, I did not absorb the reason why. Please review SHR.

I was using SHR from many years on my first xpenology NAS without issue. At the time I've choosed SHR, It was providing same kind of security than RAID5 with the advantage of managing disks of different size in the same pool, which was exactly what I was looking for. There are theorically some drawback in performance if i remember well, but that were not really visible in the comparaison that I've found some years ago. I think that there's also some debate on the ability to fix a defective disk in some particular case, but in my case I prefere to ensure the security of my data by a daily backup on a second distinct NAS!

I don't know why Synology removed SHR from DSM 6 (maybe not on all models)?

Also, re. SHR, it's not a proprietary Synology thing, it's just their custom implementation of some of the features of mdadm (e.g. linux software RAID) that allows you to mix disks of different sizes. It's not hard to roll it yourself on a non-Synology system, it's just DSM does the heavy-lifting of setting it up for you.

FYI, SHR support is still in DSM 7: you can add a set of disks from a DSM6 device and it will use them, you just can't create new SHR volumes.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, WiteWulf said:

Also, re. SHR, it's not a proprietary Synology thing, it's just their custom implementation of some of the features of mdadm (e.g. linux software RAID) that allows you to mix disks of different sizes. It's not hard to roll it yourself on a non-Synology system, it's just DSM does the heavy-lifting of setting it up for you.

FYI, SHR support is still in DSM 7: you can add a set of disks from a DSM6 device and it will use them, you just can't create new SHR volumes.

Thanks! I've got an old DSM5.2 on HP N54L using SHR that i'm thinking to upgrade in DSM7.x .

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/7/2022 at 5:55 PM, Madasafish said:

This is the output from my Gen 8 G1610T CPU memory configuration. At the time of purchase, I upgraded the memory in anticipation to change the CPU to the Xeon processor which works at the faster speed of 1600 MHz.

HpGen8MemConfig.png

Oh... so did you update the RAM Speed to 1600 in the Bios?

Also using a E3-1265L with 4gb Original and 4gb nonbranded bought afterwards. Never actually tried to change the speed...

image.thumb.png.4a13aed9c447ae89e880c6368511277c.png

Edited by haldi
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, haldi said:

Oh... so did you update the RAM Speed to 1600 in the Bios?

I don’t recall changing anything in the BIOS. I just replaced the Intel Celeron G1610T (2.3Hz/2-core/2MB/35W) Processor with Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1265L V2 @ 2.50GHz CPU and everything worked.

Here is the iLO4 screenshot of memory config now.

Memory.thumb.png.85d70ea6b70365b2cf5d5f1bd9ee7e52.png

Here is a pic of the memory I installed 4/5 years ago at the time of purchase.

41480.thumb.jpg.c4409eb3fec0ccefa1f5962af10c6249.jpg

• Like 1