XPEnology Community

HP N54L Microserver - Getting Everything Working

Dadudeondacouch

Hello, I also have to buy HP N54L.

There are problems with Xpenology or work well?

How do I install it? (I can do it with usb or do I buy a cd player?)

The Italian language is available?

Where can I find a comprehensive and easy?

After installing it, I can handle HP N54L (without monitor) directly from the PC that has Windows 7 Professional 64bit?

Seriously, all these questions are already answered in the big thread! Just read it...

But for your sake, and the 2l energy drinks I have in me, I'm gonna answer.

It works fine for me. Some obviously hardware-locked features are of course not working, but they are mostly related to stuff you wouldn't even use the way Synology implemented it. E.g. the BIOS settings.

The threads describe it pretty well. You'll need a small USB drive, 256MB+ preferred, burn the boot disk on it, plug it in on the motherboard USB slot, and commence with the install as described.

Yes it has. You can set language for the whole system, or for a given user. You also have to separately set the notification language, as it is global.

Comprehensive and easy what? Girl? I suppose the red-light house on the edge of the town would supply those :grin:

After installing it, I can handle HP N54L (without monitor) directly from the PC that has Windows 7 Professional 64bit?

Yes. DSM is a web interface oriented OS, every management is done on the UI. If you add a monitor, all you get is shell access. Which comes useful sometimes, but you can usually do everything on the web interface.

Also it is OS independent. As long as it has a web browser that can access the web server (e.g. same network, or your NAS is globally available), you can even manage it from your fridge/oven/microwave.

Thank you fonix232, you are ver kind :smile:

To burn the boot disk on usb drive, can I use the program "unetbootin"?

Before you start the installation of Xpenology with the usb drive, go into the BIOS, can you tell me the combination of buttons, please?

(sorry for these trivial questions, but I am not expert)

When I inserted the usb drive, to install everything in Italian there are flags to activate, or are there shortcuts to activate it?

where you wrote "Where can I find a comprehensive and easy?

Comprehensive and easy what? Girl? I suppose the red-light house on the edge of the town would supply Those :grin: ", google translator, when I wrote before, he missed a word :grin:

Was wondering if there was a simple guide to follow the installation without any problems.

My problem is that HP N54L not I put it online, it will be connected with the PC via a network cable only. ( in the pc add a Gigabit PCI to communicate with N54L ) .

Will I be able to use N54L anyway without a monitor, although N54L does not go online?

Which stable version of xpenology to install on N54L ?

Hello, I also have to buy HP N54L.

Seriously, all these questions are already answered in the big thread! Just read it...

But for your sake, and the 2l energy drinks I have in me, I'm gonna answer.

It works fine for me. Some obviously hardware-locked features are of course not working, but they are mostly related to stuff you wouldn't even use the way Synology implemented it. E.g. the BIOS settings.

The threads describe it pretty well. You'll need a small USB drive, 256MB+ preferred, burn the boot disk on it, plug it in on the motherboard USB slot, and commence with the install as described.

Yes it has. You can set language for the whole system, or for a given user. You also have to separately set the notification language, as it is global.

Comprehensive and easy what? Girl? I suppose the red-light house on the edge of the town would supply those :grin:

Yes. DSM is a web interface oriented OS, every management is done on the UI. If you add a monitor, all you get is shell access. Which comes useful sometimes, but you can usually do everything on the web interface.

Also it is OS independent. As long as it has a web browser that can access the web server (e.g. same network, or your NAS is globally available), you can even manage it from your fridge/oven/microwave.

Thank you fonix232, you are ver kind :smile:

To burn the boot disk on usb drive, can I use the program "unetbootin"?

Before you start the installation of Xpenology with the usb drive, go into the BIOS, can you tell me the combination of buttons, please?

(sorry for these trivial questions, but I am not expert)

When I inserted the usb drive, to install everything in Italian there are flags to activate, or are there shortcuts to activate it?

where you wrote "Where can I find a comprehensive and easy?

Comprehensive and easy what? Girl? I suppose the red-light house on the edge of the town would supply Those :grin: ", google translator, when I wrote before, he missed a word :grin:

Was wondering if there was a simple guide to follow the installation without any problems.

My problem is that HP N54L not I put it online, it will be connected with the PC via a network cable only. ( in the pc add a Gigabit PCI to communicate with N54L ) .

Will I be able to use N54L anyway without a monitor, although N54L does not go online?

Which stable version of xpenology to install on N54L ?

Again,instead of asking all these trivial questions, read the damn threads! Every information you need is 5-10 clicks and about 15 minutes worth of reading away.

The USB boot drive burning is detailed in the installation instructions.

The BIOS button is on the screen, you'll need one for the install any way. Plus to set the BIOS up. Or you can use the handbook found in the package of your server.

There is only one guide, and it is as easy and comprehensive as it gets. You just have to follow the instructions.

I don't think direct connection to a PC would work. Why don't you connect it to your router, and have it available on the local network? It would be just as simple.

And yes, it will be okay. All you need to manage a Synology DSM NAS is a device in the same network loop with browsing capabilities.

But then let me question, what is the point of the NAS? No online connection means it is not a download server, so basically 90% of the functionality is gone. It is not a local NAS, because it is only connected to one device, and such, all the features that will be available is shared volumes and access to a separate computer, but for that an external hard drive (or drives), or even an eSATA cage would be easier and more simple to set up.

I apologize again, have patience but for me it's hard to find the right solution in a few clicks. it's hard because I know little English, and having little experience even in the pc, if I don't find the right solution I could do damage: (

You could give me the guide easy to follow, please?

You would advice a stable version of xpenology for N54L?

I am forced to connect N54L to the pc(without sending N54L online). With xpenology N54L can be used without a monitor and manage it only from pc?

You're right, I could simply an external HDD enclosure 3.5 "with 4 bay. (I wanted to buy Fantec QB-35US3. In Italy cost around £ 121 while N54L about 136£.

The difference is small and I have a product with higher quality.

Due to some problems setting up the network (due to the phone provider / adsl) I find myself with a strange connection and I can not connect a router/switch Gigabit send N54L online at one time and the pc.

Have a nice day :smile:

I apologize again, have patience but for me it's hard to find the right solution in a few clicks. it's hard because I know little English, and having little experience even in the pc, if I don't find the right solution I could do damage: (

You could give me the guide easy to follow, please?

You would advice a stable version of xpenology for N54L?

I am forced to connect N54L to the pc(without sending N54L online). With xpenology N54L can be used without a monitor and manage it only from pc?

You're right, I could simply an external HDD enclosure 3.5 "with 4 bay. (I wanted to buy Fantec QB-35US3. In Italy cost around £ 121 while N54L about 136£.

The difference is small and I have a product with higher quality.

Due to some problems setting up the network (due to the phone provider / adsl) I find myself with a strange connection and I can not connect a router/switch Gigabit send N54L online at one time and the pc.

Have a nice day :smile:

What you could do is:

- Get an N54L

- Get a supported wired network card (preferably a double port one)

- Get a supported wireless network card (USB or PCI, doesn't matter).

From there, bridge the input internet connection and the double port network card, plus the internet connection + wireless network. And you got yourself a home network!

Thank you :smile:

the problem is that I do not need to share files and do not have to enter it from other devices, I do not need the wireless card;)

For my needs, it may be sufficient to install a PCI-EX as Gigabit TP LINK-TG3468, and we connect a cross cable from the PC to N54L?

I believe this is the only connection possible: (so I can use N54L without monitor and manage it from a PC?

Hi _NAS?

I have just installed a N54L with XPEnology by trantor. Thanks to trantor for an amazing job!!

I used "XPEnology DS3612xs DSM 4.2 build 3211++ (repack v1.2)" which is working very well for me.

I have made a little guide to how I did it, but I don't know if I'm allowed to post links to a collection of files. You see, I have packed all the files I have used into one ZIP.

I would love to post my guide - it is not fancy with pictures or anything - but I want to have a green light to do it, as I'm new to this forum and don't want to be banned for posting illegal posts.

I ended up getting most of it working ok...

I found that the drives were sleeping ok, but i'm still using a script to unmount the internal USB drive after booting anyway as I don't want it visible.

Dadudeondacouch,

Where did you add this script and where did you find it? I would like to hide the boot USB / SD card (in my case) too.

I've done a quick search in the forums for boot unmount USB but did not see anything. Perhaps this is documented in one of the PC setup guides?

Thanks

Quick

I ended up getting most of it working ok...

I found that the drives were sleeping ok, but i'm still using a script to unmount the internal USB drive after booting anyway as I don't want it visible.

Dadudeondacouch,

Where did you add this script and where did you find it? I would like to hide the boot USB / SD card (in my case) too.

I've done a quick search in the forums for boot unmount USB but did not see anything. Perhaps this is documented in one of the PC setup guides?

Thanks

Quick

Hi!

I posted a solution here

http://xpenology.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6&start=340#p6356

the problem is that I do not need to share files and do not have to enter it from other devices, I do not need the wireless card;)

For my needs, it may be sufficient to install a PCI-EX as Gigabit TP LINK-TG3468, and we connect a cross cable from the PC to N54L?

I believe this is the only connection possible: (so I can use N54L without monitor and manage it from a PC?

You need the IP address to start configuring. At least for the installation part. DHCP server on router or workstation will give this nas a starting ip. After you see it with synology assistant and have configured static address, you can use it with your crossover cable connected simple network. DHCP server will no longer needed.

Hi _NAS?

I have just installed a N54L with XPEnology by trantor. Thanks to trantor for an amazing job!!

I used "XPEnology DS3612xs DSM 4.2 build 3211++ (repack v1.2)" which is working very well for me.

I have made a little guide to how I did it, but I don't know if I'm allowed to post links to a collection of files. You see, I have packed all the files I have used into one ZIP.

I would love to post my guide - it is not fancy with pictures or anything - but I want to have a green light to do it, as I'm new to this forum and don't want to be banned for posting illegal posts.

Hi Zarocq,

can you send me the link for downloading xpenology you used it, please?

well put here the content of your guide, will be welcome;)

You need the IP address to start configuring. At least for the installation part. DHCP server on router or workstation will give this nas a starting ip. After you see it with synology assistant and have configured static address, you can use it with your crossover cable connected simple network. DHCP server will no longer needed.

To get the IP address I connect N54L to the router at least when I configure xpenology?

Then once this step is done, I can disconnect N54L from the router and connect it to the PC with only crossover cable?

(can you tell me the procedure for configuring, please?)

Hi Zarocq,

can you send me the link for downloading xpenology you used it, please?

well put here the content of your guide, will be welcome;)

Well, here you go. :smile:

How I build my N54L with trantor's DSM 3211++

I have successfully build a NAS using Trantors portal of Synology software.

I have read through some of these threads and some threads on other forums. In the end it was a peace of cake to do the install.

To show my grattitude to this forum, I desided to share how I did it.

Hardware:

HP Proliant Microserver N54L

5 x 4TB Western Digital WD Red disks

A 256MB USB stick

A SATA cable and a Molex to SATA power cable

Software:

TheBay BIOS mod (http://www.avforums.com/forums/networki ... pport.html)

XPEnology DS3612xs DSM 4.2 build 3211++ (repack v1.2) by Trantor (viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1028)

win32diskimager-v0.9-binary.zip - to transfer the img-file to the USB-stick (http://sourceforge.net/projects/win32diskimager)

Paragon_ExtFS_for_Windows_2.41.exe - to mount ext-filesystem on USB-stick (http://www.paragon-software.com/home/extfs-windows)

hexedit.exe - (viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1353)

ver2.zip - Excel to calculate serial from mac-address (viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1353)

Synology Assistant - http://global.download.synology.com/dow ... 3-4206.exe

Before installing the 4TB drives, I did the BIOS "upgrade", made by TheBay. See the link above.

Downloaded the BIOS-pack, unpacked and executed Runme.exe, which transfered the files to my USB-stick and made it bootable.

Put the USB stick into the server and booted - let it work and it upgraded my BIOS with success.

Removed the USB stick and rebooted the server and went into BIOS.

Configured the BIOS according to this:

From the main screen go to ‘Chipset > Southbridge Configuration > SB SATA Configuration’ and make sure your settings are the same as below:

OnChip SATA Channel = Enabled

SATA PORTS 4/5 IDE mode = Disabled

SATA EPS on all PORT = Enabled

SATA Power on all PORT = Enabled

Return to the main screen then go to ‘Advanced > IDE Configuration’ and again, make sure your settings are the same as below.

Embedded SATA Link Rate = 3.0Gbps MAX

Next is building the USB stick to launch the Synology bootrom.

Using win32diskimager I transfered "synoboot-trantor-4.2-3211-v1.2.img" to the USB-stick.

I want to edit the vendor-file on the USB-stick, so the MAC-address matches the servers.

To edit the MAC address and serial number, I used this guide: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1353

I'm using 64bit Win8, so to mount the ext-filesystem on the USB-stick, I used Paragon ExtFS for Windows.

http://www.paragon-software.com/home/extfs-windows

Unmounted the ext-filesystem in ExtFS and ejected the USB-stick from the PC.

See this guide from point 5, showing how to start the server from the USB-stick and install DSM.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=17

Put the USB-stick back into the N54L and powered on.

Waited about 2 minutes - followed the progress on the monitor I had connected to the N54L.

From the PC I launched Synology Assistant and it found the server.

Removed the USB-stick from the server!!

Started the install of XPEnology_trantor_v1.2_DSM_DS3612xs_3211.pat from Synology Assistant.

Set the admin password and the name of my server.

I went with DHCP, but you may set the IP-address to be fixed during the install.

When the server reboots in the process, I put in the USB-stick again.

The server finished the install and a few moments later it was ready for access from the browser.

That's it and how I did a successfull install.

I have bundled all the files needed in one zip:

http://hbgpc.dk/xpenology/XPEnology_DS3 ... 2-N54L.ZIP

Please feel free to comment. :smile:

I don't know why you are unable to download the file - I can see that 10 others have downloaded the file since I put it up for download.

Please try this link - if it is because of the mix of letters: http://hbgpc.dk/xpenology/n54l.zip

Yep, I got a converter from 3½" to 5 1/4" so to speak, on which I attach the 3½" harddisk.

The BIOS is modified to be able to run the 5th harddrive at full SATA speed.

The MAC address - well, I don't like to use the MAC/serial that everyone else uses. And I like the server to use the MAC address, that the NIC is born with. :smile:

Ah, now I understand!

Considering that for the moment I'll just 1 hard drive, and I do not care put 5, I avoid to modify the BIOS , right? :smile:

In my case that N54L does not go online but it is only connected via LAN cable crossover to the pc , I have to do what you did for changing the MAC address ?

Practically the guide for my needs would start from " Started the install of XPEnology_trantor_v1.2_DSM_DS3612xs_3211.pat from Synology Assistant.

Set the admin password and the name of my server.

I went with DHCP , but you may Set the IP -address to be fixed During the install.

When the server reboots in the process , I put in the USB stick again .

The server finished the install and a few moments later it was ready for access from the browser. " ?

I did not understand very well. I have to burn xpenology in the pen with win32diskmanager usb , pen usb to connect N54L , and from there you install it, right? (I think during installation, you must be connected to the internet and a monitor right?) .

After installing it on N54L , N54L restarts, and I can remove the usb, right?

The last thing , N54L connect to pc windows 7 professional 64bit with crossover LAN cable , install Synology Assistant on the PC, and then everything is ready to exchange data ?

PS: now the download file works, but is very slow, I try to download it later :wink:

Considering that for the moment I'll just 1 hard drive, and I do not care put 5, I avoid to modify the BIOS , right? :smile:

Right.

In my case that N54L does not go online but it is only connected via LAN cable crossover to the pc , I have to do what you did for changing the MAC address ?

No, you don't HAVE to - I just like the logical mac-address to be the same as the physical.

I did not understand very well. I have to burn xpenology in the pen with win32diskmanager usb , pen usb to connect N54L , and from there you install it, right? (I think during installation, you must be connected to the internet and a monitor right?) .

Yes

Yes - boot the N54L with the USB-stick in one of the USB-ports on the N54L.

When the N54L has booted from the USB-stick, you start Synology Assistant, it finds the N54L. NOW REMOVE THE USB-Stick!

Right-click on it in Synology Assistant and choose install.

During the install the N54L reboots - when the N54L reboots, reinsert the USB-stick - or the system wont boot!

It then finishes the installation.

After installing it on N54L , N54L restarts, and I can remove the usb, right?

When the system is running, you may remove the USB - BUT if you need to reboot it, you HAVE to reinsert the USB.

The last thing , N54L connect to pc windows 7 professional 64bit with crossover LAN cable , install Synology Assistant on the PC, and then everything is ready to exchange data ?

When you first log into the system from the webbrowser, you will be guided through the initial setup.

Thank you again :smile:

Making a list:

1) I have to burn the usb stick with WIN32DISKIMAGER

2) connect to N54L monitor with VGA cable and mouse + keyboard

2) insert the usb stick in N54L

3) start N54L

4) Open Synology Assistant on pc

5) synology assistant when he found N54L, confirm and remove the usb stick from N54L. Then you have to follow the instructions through the monitor.

6) when N54L is restarted because of Synology Assistant, insert the usb stick on N54L

7) the installation is finished on the inside N54L with usb stick, right?

8) leave the usb stick always on N54L, right?

Thank you again :smile:

Making a list:

1) I have to burn the usb stick with WIN32DISKIMAGER

2) connect to N54L monitor with VGA cable and mouse (Mouse is not required) + keyboard

2) insert the usb stick in N54L

3) start N54L

4) Open Synology Assistant on pc

5) synology assistant when he found N54L, confirm and remove the usb stick from N54L. Then you have to follow the instructions through the monitor. (Instructions and actions all on the PC. Server monitor is just to monitor the server status)

6) when N54L is restarted because of Synology Assistant, insert the usb stick on N54L

7) the installation is finished on the inside N54L with usb stick, right?

8) leave the usb stick always on N54L, right?(right. You may soft eject it while NAS is running to avoid overwriting, but leave it inserted)

hello, I'm trying to install Xpenology DS3612XS_3211 1.2v repack by Trentor on HP N54L, but I have a problem!

I set the bios to have the first boot on usb.

then turned off HP N54L. I prepared the usb stick with win32diskimager, I inserted on N54L and when the screen is black with the word "grub loading Stage 1.5. Grub loading, please wait ... Error 17".

What can I do?