XPEnology Community

migrate a disk from one nas to another nas

22 minutes ago, wifi75 said:

Hi, how can I move the hard drive from one ds1621 to another ds1621, bearing in mind that if the first nas is dead?

is this a single drive with basic volume? in theory you could just attach the drive to a spare sata port boot and you should see a drive with 'volume n' and most likely a corrupt system partition. if you dont have a backup of the data you might want to maybe mount the drive and try recovery https://kb.synology.com/tr-tr/DSM/tutorial/How_can_I_recover_data_from_my_DiskStation_using_a_PC. another option could be to use the boot usb and hdd from the dead nas on your working mobo (disconnect the array), backup data, then you can add the drive without worry.

Yeah, it all depends how that single drive was configured in the "dead" DS1621; it seems odd to only have a single drive in a 6-bay NAS. If it truly was a single drive, or a single drive in a storage pool configured as "basic", you should be able to slot it straight into the new, unpopulated (no drives), DS1621 and it will offer to migrate the data when you power on.

If the second DS1621 already has drives in it and is running, though, I'm not sure how it will react to having a drive from another NAS inserted (as the drive from the previous NAS will contain boot and system information). At a guess, it will likely tell you the drive is unusable in it's current state and offer to initialise it for you, at which point you'll lose the data on it.

13 hours ago, WiteWulf said:

Yeah, it all depends how that single drive was configured in the "dead" DS1621; it seems odd to only have a single drive in a 6-bay NAS. If it truly was a single drive, or a single drive in a storage pool configured as "basic", you should be able to slot it straight into the new, unpopulated (no drives), DS1621 and it will offer to migrate the data when you power on.

If the second DS1621 already has drives in it and is running, though, I'm not sure how it will react to having a drive from another NAS inserted (as the drive from the previous NAS will contain boot and system information). At a guess, it will likely tell you the drive is unusable in it's current state and offer to initialise it for you, at which point you'll lose the data on it.

hello, I explain well what I want to do, first of all I tell you that I am doing some tests with proxmox.
the disks i want to migrate are disks on which no DSM is installed and neither are packages. dishi contain only my personal data.
so I want to simulate that the nas is broken and that I want to move only the disks with my data. can it be done?

As I understand it, *any* volume that is configured in a Synology Diskstation has ~10GB reserved on it that gets a copy of the operating system put on it. If you configure a 21GB (the smallest accepted by DSM, iirc) virtual HDD in your proxmox environment and add it to your disk station VM you'll see it advise you that there is ~11GB usable space on it, the rest is reserved by the OS and gets that copy/backup written to it. This is to ensure the disk station can boot in the event of failed disk(s).

Only USB and network storage are the exception to this. As such, I don't think it's possible for a disk/volume that's been in Synology device to only contain your data.

However, installing the disk in a linux machine you should be able to mount the partitions on the disk and access the data as per the guide @sbv3000 linked to.

10 minutes ago, WiteWulf said:

As I understand it, *any* volume that is configured in a Synology Diskstation has ~10GB reserved on it that gets a copy of the operating system put on it. If you configure a 21GB (the smallest accepted by DSM, iirc) virtual HDD in your proxmox environment and add it to your disk station VM you'll see it advise you that there is ~11GB usable space on it, the rest is reserved by the OS and gets that copy/backup written to it. This is to ensure the disk station can boot in the event of failed disk(s).

Only USB and network storage are the exception to this. As such, I don't think it's possible for a disk/volume that's been in Synology device to only contain your data.

However, installing the disk in a linux machine you should be able to mount the partitions on the disk and access the data as per the guide @sbv3000 linked to.

maybe I expressed myself badly.
I would like to transfer the disk with some photos, so to speak.
when I connect it to the new nas how can I activate it without formatting it?

No, I understood you :)

I don't think it's possible to take the disk in its current form, insert it into a running diskstation with other disks and retain the data on it. Your disk is not simply a disk with a single partition and some data on it, once it's been initialised in a diskstation it has a load of partitions and data on in addition to wherever you store your personal data.

If the disk was the *only* disk in the original DS1621 and you insert it into a bare diskstation with no other disks you may be able to migrate the disk and recover the data.

As you're using a hypervisor anyway (proxmox, right?), you should be able to test this by making a copy of the disk in question, creating a new diskstation VM and adding the copied disk. See what happens and let us know how it works out :)

24 minutes ago, WiteWulf said:

No, I understood you :)

I don't think it's possible to take the disk in its current form, insert it into a running diskstation with other disks and retain the data on it. Your disk is not simply a disk with a single partition and some data on it, once it's been initialised in a diskstation it has a load of partitions and data on in addition to wherever you store your personal data.

If the disk was the *only* disk in the original DS1621 and you insert it into a bare diskstation with no other disks you may be able to migrate the disk and recover the data.

As you're using a hypervisor anyway (proxmox, right?), you should be able to test this by making a copy of the disk in question, creating a new diskstation VM and adding the copied disk. See what happens and let us know how it works out :)

I have already done so on proxmox, the disk sees it but it must be activated and DSM to add and activate it tells me that the data will be destroyed.