XPEnology Community

where does xpenology store main DSM files?

JakeSully

Question

Trying to figure out where main DSM files get stored, since i had to make new USB bootable with TC 9.0 to get 7.1.1 42962 working on my server since i couldn't get it working on TC 8.0.5 and now my server is nagging that my 2FA is wrongly configured and i need to reset 2FA but problem is i cannot access admin account via SSH to remove it since SSH is turned off.

Only option it gives me next is full reset but i cannot do that either doing so will wipe my data.

So one way for me is to go to following location " /usr/syno/etc/preference/admin" there i shall remove file google_authenticator that should disable 2FA on the account and i can log back into my DSM.

But i have no idea where main DSM files are located since i went through whole USB stick and cannot find anywhere where it is.

I hope some 1 here can tell me where it is so i can get this fixed!

5 answers to this question

The DSM "system" files aren't stored on the USB stick on a running system (the USB stick just contains a bare minimum of files to bootstrap the hardware and get it to pretend that it's Synology hardware, this is essentially the purpose of Redpill). The DSM system files are store on the HDD(s) in your NAS, a copy is stored on every HDD, I believe.

If you can't login as root you're probably going to have to mount the drives on a PC booted with a linux livecd and edit the files from within that system.

Good luck!

1 hour ago, JakeSully said:

Trying to figure out where main DSM files get stored, since i had to make new USB bootable with TC 9.0 to get 7.1.1 42962 working on my server since i couldn't get it working on TC 8.0.5 and now my server is nagging that my 2FA is wrongly configured and i need to reset 2FA but problem is i cannot access admin account via SSH to remove it since SSH is turned off.

Only option it gives me next is full reset but i cannot do that either doing so will wipe my data.

So one way for me is to go to following location " /usr/syno/etc/preference/admin" there i shall remove file google_authenticator that should disable 2FA on the account and i can log back into my DSM.

But i have no idea where main DSM files are located since i went through whole USB stick and cannot find anywhere where it is.

I hope some 1 here can tell me where it is so i can get this fixed!

dsm is installed and stored on the system partition on every drive in the device. the boot device starts up minimal services/modules that then 'hands off' to the system partition dsm for the rest of the boot/functions. without ssh not sure how you might disable 2fa other than mounting drives in linux and accessing the system partition to get to the config. I'd suggest you setup a test nas with spare hdd to try this process.

8 minutes ago, WiteWulf said:

The DSM "system" files aren't stored on the USB stick on a running system (the USB stick just contains a bare minimum of files to bootstrap the hardware and get it to pretend that it's Synology hardware, this is essentially the purpose of Redpill). The DSM system files are store on the HDD(s) in your NAS, a copy is stored on every HDD, I believe.

If you can't login as root you're probably going to have to mount the drives on a PC booted with a linux livecd and edit the files from within that system.

Good luck!

okay well my drives are RAIDED, so i'm going to download a linux ISO and make server boot into virtual media drive into OS and see if it let's me load the files, otherwise i need a way to get access to RAIDED drives.

Update #2: I'm done, leaving xpenology since it just caused huge data loss to me and i don't trust xpenology anymore, after what 7.1.1.42962 did to my server.

I googled for hours nothing solves my problem, tried to mount here and there bunch of errors no matter what i try.

So only option left is to format 4 drives and lose everything because of stupid BTRFS filesystem. So i want to warn everyone avoid using it if you get on same boat as me then your data will be lost permantly. So never use BTRFS and this i have learned now to avoid from now on!