XPEnology Community

Can 918+ be developed for HBA?

cabldevil

I know people have not had success with HBA/918 - however, 3622 with HBA works fine. The easier hurdle would be to find a way to transcode on 3622. I do not use transcoding on my setups, but there were a few software/docker mods that may lead you in the right direction. Or if all else fails, setup your media server (emby/plex/whatever) on a system that does transcoding as needed, and just have the nas handle storage - that's basically what I do, but I don't use transcoding - I direct play everything to my tv's.

I remember seeing some ffdshow (?) docker that may help, look around in the software section, or re-think your media server situation, if you want to use HBA.

Another option would be to use SATA AHCI cards instead of the HBA cards... @IG-88 has done several posts about sata cards and which chipsets give maximum performance and stuff like that. Basically you can't use a sata card that has a multiplexer, and I believe those sata pci cards have either a 4 drive or 5 driver per controller chip limit, so when you see one that says it can handle 10 drives, it most likely using a multiplexer unless the card has multiple controllers chips.  Switching to a sata ahci pci card will work with 918 and then you can have the drive slots and transcoding.

Hope that helps... good luck.

@phone guy  Thank you..  I know we talked on this topic before .... Its a shame because the LSI SAS2008 PCI-Express Fusion-MPT SAS-2 [Falcon] (rev 03) is the card to have for other distros.  It has on chip per 4 ports 8 total.  Is that not an ahci  card when in IT mode?  

Either way I dont want to get in a situation where I lose 30 tb of media.    I need to check plex in docker with some mod to let transcoding pass on as 3622.  I am using that with my old hp54 to test.  Works well.

I need to dig deeper in the forums as you stated.  But changing cards that would allow serial/model number to pass to the 918+ is the easier answer I will check IG-88s posts on this.

TY  PG

9 hours ago, cabldevil said:

@phone guy  Thank you..  I know we talked on this topic before .... Its a shame because the LSI SAS2008 PCI-Express Fusion-MPT SAS-2 [Falcon] (rev 03) is the card to have for other distros.  It has on chip per 4 ports 8 total.  Is that not an ahci  card when in IT mode?  

Either way I dont want to get in a situation where I lose 30 tb of media.    I need to check plex in docker with some mod to let transcoding pass on as 3622.  I am using that with my old hp54 to test.  Works well.

I need to dig deeper in the forums as you stated.  But changing cards that would allow serial/model number to pass to the 918+ is the easier answer I will check IG-88s posts on this.

TY  PG

I posted about this card on another thread, its 4 asmedia 1064 controllers on an x4 pci connection, works with tcrp builds with satamap 4444 and ignore bad ports, 16 drives and seems 'stable' in my testing https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3256802942788966.html?gatewayAdapt=4itemAdapt

• Like 1

Although unlikely, I plan to add DS1019+ to M Shell, the next model of DS918+ that uses the same ApolloLake platform and is capable of video transcoding.

The DS1019+ doesn't look much different except for the fact that it has one more bay to five.

Since It use the same mpt3sas ext driver ApolloLake version for HBA, I don't expect any special changes, but I'm going to give it a try.

Edited by Peter Suh
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Peter Suh said:

Although unlikely, I plan to add DS1019+ to M Shell, the next model of DS918+ that uses the same ApolloLake platform and is capable of video transcoding.

The DS1019+ doesn't look much different except for the fact that it has one more bay to five.

Since It use the same mpt3sas ext driver ApolloLake version for HBA, I don't expect any special changes, but I'm going to give it a try.

I just added DS1019+ as a supported model for M Shell.

Like DS918+, transcoding may be possible, but HBA still does not display SMART's disk serial number. I'm sad too...

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Peter Suh said:

I just added DS1019+ as a supported model for M Shell.

Like DS918+, transcoding may be possible, but HBA still does not display SMART's disk serial number. I'm sad too...

I test it with VMWare, why change SataPortMap=58 DiskIdxMap=0A00 to SataPortMap=1 DiskIdxMap=10??? With first found a disk, with second no disk.

Show disk 12 with SataPortMap=58 DiskIdxMap=0A00, how can I put disk 01 change SataPortMap and DiskIdxMap?

This is TCRP jumkey's jun mode
ds1019p does not require model.dtc patching

Before changing user_config.json
{
  "extra_cmdline": {
    "pid": "0xa4a5",
    "vid": "0x0525",
    "sn": "1230LWN009033",
    "mac1": "0011322A46E7",
    "SataPortMap": "58",
    "DiskIdxMap": "0A00"
  },
  "synoinfo": {

"internalportcfg" : "0xffff",
          "maxdisks" : "16",
              "support_bde_internal_10g" : "no",
              "support_disk_compatibility" : "no",
          "support_memory_compatibility" : "no"

},
  "ramdisk_copy": {

}

}
Serial Number for Model : 1980PDN014948
Mac Address for Model DS1019+ : 00:11:32:68:16:32
Should i update the user_config.json with these values ? [Yy/Nn]
Machine is VIRTUAL Hypervisor=VMware
Running on VMware, no need to set USB VID and PID, you should SATA shim instead

Found "02:03.0 VMware SATA AHCI controller"
Detected 30 ports/2 drives. Mapping SATABOOT drive after maxdisks
WARNING: Other drives are connected that will not be accessible!

Computed settings:
SataPortMap=1
DiskIdxMap=10

Should i update the user_config.json with these values ? [Yy/Nn] y
Done.
{
    "sn": "1980PDN014948",
    "mac1": "001132681632",
    "SataPortMap": "1",
    "DiskIdxMap": "10"
  },
    "internalportcfg": "0xffff",
    "maxdisks": "16",
    "support_bde_internal_10g": "no",
    "support_disk_compatibility": "no",
    "support_memory_compatibility": "no"
  },
  "ramdisk_copy": {}
}

Captura de pantalla 2022-09-14 000246.jpg

2 hours ago, apriliars3 said:

I test it with VMWare, why change SataPortMap=58 DiskIdxMap=0A00 to SataPortMap=1 DiskIdxMap=10??? With first found a disk, with second no disk.

Show disk 12 with SataPortMap=58 DiskIdxMap=0A00, how can I put disk 01 change SataPortMap and DiskIdxMap?

This is TCRP jumkey's jun mode
ds1019p does not require model.dtc patching

Before changing user_config.json
{
    "sn": "1230LWN009033",
    "mac1": "0011322A46E7",
    "SataPortMap": "58",
    "DiskIdxMap": "0A00"
  },

"internalportcfg" : "0xffff",
          "maxdisks" : "16",
              "support_bde_internal_10g" : "no",
              "support_disk_compatibility" : "no",
          "support_memory_compatibility" : "no"

},
  "ramdisk_copy": {

}

}
Serial Number for Model : 1980PDN014948
Mac Address for Model DS1019+ : 00:11:32:68:16:32
Should i update the user_config.json with these values ? [Yy/Nn]
Running on VMware, no need to set USB VID and PID, you should SATA shim instead

Found "02:03.0 VMware SATA AHCI controller"
Detected 30 ports/2 drives. Mapping SATABOOT drive after maxdisks
WARNING: Other drives are connected that will not be accessible!

Computed settings:
SataPortMap=1
DiskIdxMap=10

Should i update the user_config.json with these values ? [Yy/Nn] y
Done.
{
    "sn": "1980PDN014948",
    "mac1": "001132681632",
    "SataPortMap": "1",
    "DiskIdxMap": "10"
  },
    "internalportcfg": "0xffff",
    "maxdisks": "16",
    "support_bde_internal_10g": "no",
    "support_disk_compatibility": "no",
    "support_memory_compatibility": "no"
  },
  "ramdisk_copy": {}
}

Captura de pantalla 2022-09-14 000246.jpg

If you do not give additional options other than the synology model to ./my.sh, the satamap operation of rploader is operated by default.
I can't figure out why pocopico's satamap operation is misbehaving like that.

However, if you want to directly adjust the satamap in user_config.json, modify it with the vi editor in advance.

You must use the noconfig option for ./my.sh .
The noconfig option skips rploader's satamap operation.

For users unfamiliar with the vi editor, I plan to add one editsata option as a new feature of m shell.
Like pocopico's satamap operation, it does not consider the number of possible ports of the Sata controller, but simply change the SataPortMap and DiskIdxMap of user_config.json according to the user input.

Edited by Peter Suh

47 minutes ago, apriliars3 said:

I think all issues is with satamap not config like arpl.

Could you do fix this easier for new people?

I'm not sure how ARPL constructs a SataPortMap either.
Is the Sata Port auto-mapping method better than TCRP?

As for the automatic mapping of TCRP, I think I can understand the contents to some extent by analyzing the script inside rploader.sh.
The problem that TCRP's SataMap operation does not work well seems to be solved by pocopico.

I am not at the coding level where I can implement the same level of automation mapping as ARPL myself.

To make the SataPortMap automation mapping more precise and error-free
I think ARPL's fabio and TCRP's pocopico should work together.

Prerequisites or detailed explanations for the use of pocopico's rploader satamap() function are given below.

What caught my eye the most was ThorGroup's advice not to map controller ports.

The only drawback of this method is that in the case of a VM, the first port appears empty due to the bootloader effect.

If it's a VM, you can clear the portmapping and build the loader.
In M Shell, if it's a VM, I'm thinking of adopting this method.

As originally planned, in the case of bare metal, we will allow the user to directly input.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This function identifies all SATA controllers and create a plausible sataportmap and diskidxmap.

In the case of SATABOOT: While TinyCore suppresses the /dev/sd device servicing synoboot, the
 controller still takes up a sataportmap entry. ThorGroup advised not to map the controller ports
 beyond the MaxDisks limit, but there is no harm in doing so - unless additional devices are
 connected along with SATABOOT. This will create a gap/empty first slot.

By mapping the SATABOOT controller ports beyond MaxDisks like Jun loader, it forces data disks
 onto a secondary controller, and it's clear what the SATABOOT controller and device are being
 used for. The KVM q35 bogus controller is mapped in the same manner.

DUMMY ports (flagged by kernel as empty/non-functional, usually because hotplug is supported and
 not enabled, and no disk is attached are detected and alerted. Any DUMMY port visible to the
 DSM installer will result in a "SATA port disabled" message.

SCSI/SAS and non-AHCI compliant SATA are unaffected by sataportmap and diskidxmap but a summary
 controller and drive report is provided in order to avoid user distress.

This code was written with the intention of reusing the detection strategy for device tree
 creation, and the two functions could easily be integrated if desired.

• Thanks 1

I've no issues getting my HBA working with DS918+ with the following

Host type: Bare-metal

HBA: DELL Perc H310 cross-flashed to LSI 9211-8i with IT firmware 20.00.07.00

Drive Connection: HBA connected to SATA drive via breakout cable

Redpill Loader: arpl  v0.4-alpha9

DSM:  7.1.1-42962 Update 1

With the above setup, I was able to get my HBA working with DS918+, DS3617xs, and DS3622xs

Edited by Kanedo

4 hours ago, Kanedo said:

With the above setup, I was able to get my HBA working with DS918+, DS3617xs, and DS3622xs

I don't think ARPL is any different, but when you use Dell perc H310 or H200, which are commonly used HBAs, isn't it displayed as SDA / SDB / SDC, etc. instead of the actual serial number of the disk in the storage manager?
When used as a RAID, if the serial number is not known, it can be fatal in case of disk replacement.

1 hour ago, Peter Suh said:

I don't think ARPL is any different, but when you use Dell perc H310 or H200, which are commonly used HBAs, isn't it displayed as SDA / SDB / SDC, etc. instead of the actual serial number of the disk in the storage manager?
When used as a RAID, if the serial number is not known, it can be fatal in case of disk replacement.

Ahh,  I see what you mean.  Yes mine does show up as sdx

image.thumb.png.4a8569f94ec7fbcc61c7756255034842.png

5 hours ago, Kanedo said:

I Was able to get it working just fine also.  The issue is what Peter said.

So personally, I run DSM in a separate VM than Plex VM

I passthrough the HBA to the DSM VM.

I passthrough the GPU to the Plex VM (Ubuntu)

This actually affords me more flexibility as I can use a suitable Synology model such as DS3622xs for just storage, and I can use Nvidia GPU for transcoding.   I've also gotten iGPU for transcoding working this way as well by passing the iGPU into the Plex VM.

Edited by Kanedo

There is a workaround to that problem if you're comfortable SSH into the machine.

Run
smartctl -i /dev/sdX

and it'll show you the real serial

image.thumb.png.1e5c9e05e2e0a4b717d589c38cb9a475.png

It is not an important point to find out the real serial number separately. The specific reason why the real serial number is important in raids is that when a disk needs to be replaced due to a disk failure, the storage manager detects where the disk was removed based on the real serial. Serial recognized as sd# cannot be guaranteed to work as above. If you plan to use it without a raid, you don't have to worry about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

24 minutes ago, Peter Suh said:

It is not an important point to find out the real serial number separately. The specific reason why the real serial number is important in raids is that when a disk needs to be replaced due to a disk failure, the storage manager detects where the disk was removed based on the real serial. Serial recognized as sd# cannot be guaranteed to work as above. If you plan to use it without a raid, you don't have to worry about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I see.  I do use RAID6 on my production server which is still on DSM 6.2.  I'm only experimenting with DSM 7 on a separate box with a single disk at the moment.  I'll have to add more disks for further testing.

So yea, I see your point for those that wants to use HBA and iGPU on bare-metal installations is problematic.

@cabldevil Is running separate virtual machines not an option for you?  I assume you need transcoding for Plex right?

This is how I run mine
image.thumb.png.e360efd6bbd2c5eb933ed57135f4bf84.png

Edited by Kanedo