XPEnology Community

Considering purchasing a Dell PowerEdge R320 -- support for DS3615 and DSM 6.2?

SomeTester

Hi All,

Anyone have experience with a Dell PowerEdge R320 or the like? Are there any issues with the RAID controller and DS3615 and DSM 6.2? I was hoping to migrate over my current HDDs that I am using with Surveillance Station and the USB that is powering the current installation of Xpenology. Any advice, suggestions, notes on gotchyas, etc. would be appreciated.

Thanks!

The DS3615 is becoming obsolete. Is there a reason why you want to still use that platform?

I have installed DS3622xs+ and RS4021xs+ DSM 7.1 on a Dell R620 with a H310 flashed to IT mode with no issues so far.

Just make sure you disable VT and onboard SATA ports in the BIOS before you install.

26 minutes ago, rojoone2 said:

The DS3615 is becoming obsolete. Is there a reason why you want to still use that platform?

I have installed DS3622xs+ and RS4021xs+ DSM 7.1 on a Dell R620 with a H310 flashed to IT mode with no issues so far.

Just make sure you disable VT and onboard SATA ports in the BIOS before you install.

I made those specifications since I recall years ago struggling with getting Surveillance Station to play nicely. Could I still use my 3.5" SATA drives? I'm not doing any special RAID'ing between the two drives. With that being said, do you anticipate me needing to flash the PERC controller that this model comes with?

Are you building primarily to use surveillance station? Or will you also be using for things like Plex and data storage?

Are the 3.5 SATA drives from another Xpenology build? If so, yes you can and migrate to the new platform.

Yes, I would recommend flashing the PREC to IT mode. H310 or H710 should be easy to flash. 

2 minutes ago, rojoone2 said:

Are you building primarily to use surveillance station? Or will you also be using for things like Plex and data storage?

Are the 3.5 SATA drives from another Xpenology build? If so, yes you can and migrate to the new platform.

Yes, I would recommend flashing the PREC to IT mode. H310 or H710 should be easy to flash. 

Yes, primarily for the Surveillance Station and the 3.5" drives are from my current (lack lustered) desktop server. And awesome! That's great to hear. I was looking at 2 different ones on eBay and noticed that one was an H710, and the other an H310.  I'll look into how to flash them.

Do you have experience using these servers for surveillance? Also, would I still disable onboard SATA via the BIOS? I'm not really familiar with these hardware configurations, and wasn't sure if the SATA ports would be a part of the RAID controller card, or if there are most likely extra SATA ports on the mobo itself.

Thanks for your help so far!

Having multiple ethernet ports on a device for surveillance always works better that just one. The onboard SATA is primarily for an optical drive and you don't need it. You will end up with errors like "bad ports" or "no disk found" if you leave it enabled. The SATA ports you will use are on the servers front drive cage.