XPEnology Community

LSI 9211-8i IT mode with SAS2008 needs your comments

AeroServer

hello everyone, 

I have bought this card (LSI 9211-8i IT mode with SAS20080 to add more disk in my xpenology.

I'm currently running 1.04b 6.2.3 with driver extension v0.13.9 because the nic card i have is killer nic E2500. this extension has the driver built-in

My problem is with SAS 2008, will my current system has problems with it? I need 918+ system with hd630 enabled to run jellyfin. also my nic is killer E2500 with new SAS card 9211

I read this posts , but I couldn't understand very well about problems running v0.13.9 extension. will my disks under SAS card miss SMART info ? cant enable disk disk hibernation? Your comments plz

Edited by AeroServer

• AeroServer changed the title to LSI 9211-8i IT mode with SAS2008 needs your comments

I believe that if you want to retain SMART info etc, then you still need the v0.12.1 driverset - But with this is it HIGHLY recommended, if not a must that disk hibernation be turned off as there is a chance it will corrupt the raid on wakeup. 

@IG-88 Can probably elaborate and correct me if I am mistaken. 

9 hours ago, NooL said:

I believe that if you want to retain SMART info etc, then you still need the v0.12.1 driverset - But with this is it HIGHLY recommended, if not a must that disk hibernation be turned off as there is a chance it will corrupt the raid on wakeup. 

@IG-88 Can probably elaborate and correct me if I am mistaken. 

I’m not sure with 0.12.1. will the Nic killer e2500 driver included or not? I also need 918 to run Jellyfin server. Seems that the only way I can achieve this is to use redpill and upgrade from 6.2.3 to 7.xx to fix the e2500 and sas2008 at the same time. Am I correct on this? Thanks 

4 hours ago, AeroServer said:

I’m not sure with 0.12.1. will the Nic killer e2500 driver included or not? I also need 918 to run Jellyfin server. Seems that the only way I can achieve this is to use redpill and upgrade from 6.2.3 to 7.xx to fix the e2500 and sas2008 at the same time. Am I correct on this? Thanks 

The killer e2500 seems to be included in alx ext in REDPILL.
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/PeterSuh-Q3/rp-ext/master/alx/rpext-index.json
https://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/bionic/man4/alc.4freebsd.html

DS918+ / DS920+ are required for igpu transcoding,

The DS920+ unfortunately doesn't work at all with the HBA.

REDPILL's mpt3sas ext for HBA has some problems with DS918+.

There is a problem that the serial number is not displayed correctly in Disk Manager.
It is expressed as SDA/SDB/SDC, etc.
Not recognizing the serial number can be a serious problem if one of the RAID disks needs to be replaced.

8 hours ago, Peter Suh said:

The killer e2500 seems to be included in alx ext in REDPILL.
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/PeterSuh-Q3/rp-ext/master/alx/rpext-index.json
https://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/bionic/man4/alc.4freebsd.html

DS918+ / DS920+ are required for igpu transcoding,

The DS920+ unfortunately doesn't work at all with the HBA.

REDPILL's mpt3sas ext for HBA has some problems with DS918+.

There is a problem that the serial number is not displayed correctly in Disk Manager.
It is expressed as SDA/SDB/SDC, etc.
Not recognizing the serial number can be a serious problem if one of the RAID disks needs to be replaced.

well if it it just the SDA/SDB... problem, I think we can ssh to the system and look at SDA serial number? I know smartctl can do it under pve. 

Thanks.