XPEnology Community

Jun Loader ISO???? SOLVED

SIMOJFJ

Hi people,

It is possible to create a jun loader iso (a .iso format no img)????, If someone has done it, I could say how.

I need this to proxmox server.

Very thanks, Forgive the inconvenience.

On Win you have a s**t load of software out there. Have you tried this for example http://www.poweriso.com/download.php ?

If you are on MAC OS you can do it from the disk utility. When selecting he image format you need to choose DVD/CD master and encryption None. Once it's done change the extension from .cdr to .iso

Voila.

An ISO would be nice (or a short HOWTO). I also tried to convert the IMG with a full version of PowerISO but with no luck.

When you try to convert the IMG to an ISO, PowerISO finds three partitions within the IMG file (1x GPT FAT16 @30MB with 21MB used, 1x GPT FAT16 @15MB and 1x GPT @3MB). If I select the largest partition with 30MB and create this ISO, the file can't be used as a (virtual) boot media in Hyper-V or other systems.

The IMG file is also not suitable to create suitable boot sticks for bare metal systems.

An ISO would be nice (or a short HOWTO). I also tried to convert the IMG with a full version of PowerISO but with no luck.

When you try to convert the IMG to an ISO, PowerISO finds three partitions within the IMG file (1x GPT FAT16 @30MB with 21MB used, 1x GPT FAT16 @15MB and 1x GPT @3MB). If I select the largest partition with 30MB and create this ISO, the file can't be used as a (virtual) boot media in Hyper-V or other systems.

ALL partitions are necessary for the image to work. So selecting and converting only one partition to .iso will clearly not work and that is where you problem is. Use another software or use a MAC. I have done it countless times and it works without a problem. I have used the loader on baremetal and on VBOX VM. No problem whatsoever.

Edit: For the sake of accuracy I just converted a freshly downloaded .img file to an .iso file on my MAC. I then burned the resulting .iso to a flash drive with rufus under Windows 10 VM. I plugged it in the first computer I had in sight then booted the machine from the flash drive. I came back to my workstation, launched Synology Assitant... and there it was waiting for me to install. Conclusion: converting an .img file to .iso, then burning the file to a flash drive and then booting from it works flawlessly.

I noticed one difference when burning an .img and .iso to a flash drive. When burning the .img I am able to access the EFI partition that contains the data under Windows 10. When burning the .iso to the flash drive I am UNable to access the partition that contains the data under Windows 10. I had to mount the flash drive on my MAC in order to access the content of the EFI partition. No matter what though both are fully functional boot flash drives.

The IMG file is also not suitable to create suitable boot sticks for bare metal systems.

That is utterly non sense. Use Win32DiskImager and it will create a fully functional USB boot drive.

Edited by Guest

Tried 12 different USB sticks on 6 different bare metal systems, downloaded the IMG several times - no luck... And I set up around 30 XPEnologys with DSM 5.2 within the last year...

using DD in linux does not allow you to write a usb boot correctly? that seems strange :sad: