XPEnology Community

GUIDE: Explanation of Synology HDD Compatibility and Restrictions as of DSM 7.1

mgrobins

I wanted to share this fairly straight forward discussion by SpaceRex on Youtube, that explains the changed position of Synology and HDD Compatibility restrictions with DSM 7.1. 
It also explains how to interpret the sometimes unclear wording on the Synology Spec pages. One of the popular Expenology builds is the DS3622xs+ which is impacted by this.

Edited by mgrobins
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 11/22/2022 at 3:41 PM, denmalley said:

Just getting ready to go through the setup process/migrate from 6.x to 7.x.  Is there a suggested model one can pick from the redpill loader setup that would avoid this issue? 

maybe just watch the video?

units up to 8 disks (by its original syno build hardware) will not do this and you still could add your drives to the internal list of "supported" drives to make the system behave in a normal way (normal status for a volume)

I did watch the whole vid and noted the number of bays requirement.  Guess I was trying to shortcut the answer vs looking up every model in the list to see which ones have less than 9 bays (and further looking on the synology specs directly to see if the wording about drive usage is as expected).  Especially if others have already done the upgrade and have a recommended model in mind.    But I will try not to bother anyone with questions and just read read read

25 minutes ago, denmalley said:

But I will try not to bother anyone with questions and just read read read

the list of units supported is not static, so there is not ultimate answer (especially if there would be a dsm *.pat for a unit with kernel 5.x like

maybe use syno own website, in the compare you can check anything above 8 (like 12 and above, https://www.synology.com/en-global/products?bays=12%2Cmore12) and see all units potentially needing syno's own drives, just check that against the list of the loader you intent to user, there is more then one loader, tcrp and arpl come to mind first but you might find other git's and sources to derived versions

the often used 918+ and 920+ (hardware transcoding with some intel cpu's) are 4 bay units and will not have that

but from my point of view i might not bother about that as long as i can add my own drives into the list like the yet unreleased unit with epyc7002 (maybe the SA6400?), i guess that might be adapted fast as it would offer some interesting features when it comes to hardware support

one problem with changing the database of drives might be that after a update the drive database will jump back to syno's standard, your volume will be seen as "warning" and you need to add your drives again to get it back to normal

as long as it not breaks anything with the update i don't see much of a problem and might be more looking to whats the best unit for my purpose and hardware

Edited by IG-88

20 hours ago, IG-88 said:

the list of units supported is not static, so there is not ultimate answer (especially if there would be a dsm *.pat for a unit with kernel 5.x like

maybe use syno own website, in the compare you can check anything above 8 (like 12 and above, https://www.synology.com/en-global/products?bays=12%2Cmore12) and see all units potentially needing syno's own drives, just check that against the list of the loader you intent to user, there is more then one loader, tcrp and arpl come to mind first but you might find other git's and sources to derived versions

Yeah that makes sense that it would be hard make a blanket advisory about specific model to use.  Thanks for that link, that will help inform me better on what to use for my situation.