XPEnology Community

how to upgrade from DSM 7.0.1-42218 Update 3 to DSM 7.1-42661 on proxmox

nexuscan

Question

Hello to all,

I installed proxmox on baremetal and on that I installed one year ago DSM 7.0.1-42218 Update 3 with redpill (I dont know which version of redpill I have on the server).

Can someone help me: How to upgrade from DSM 7.0.1-42218 Update 3 to DSM 7.1-42661 on proxmox (or to 7.1.1-42951 RC)

Thanks,

Cheers!

2 answers to this question

On 8/11/2022 at 4:59 PM, nexuscan said:

Hello to all,

I installed proxmox on baremetal and on that I installed one year ago DSM 7.0.1-42218 Update 3 with redpill (I dont know which version of redpill I have on the server).

Can someone help me: How to upgrade from DSM 7.0.1-42218 Update 3 to DSM 7.1-42661 on proxmox (or to 7.1.1-42951 RC)

Thanks,

Cheers!

If it were me, here's how I would do it. (there is probably easier way, but this is how I would do it without fear)

1. FIRST: If at all possible, backup any important data because sometimes bad things happen, period! (ok, now that's out of the way proceed at your risk)
  2. Establish which platform your build is for (DS918/DS3622/etc). Establish what your current redpill booting method is (USB/SATA). I am going to assume you know the basics of building a loader from here on out, like SSH, watching boot screens and grub menu's in proxmox, etc...
  3. Verify you have a Serial port 1 console added to your DSM VM in Proxmox. If you don't have one, add it in proxmox now, this helps verify everything is working as expected, and takes the guess work out. If you don't have a Serial console on your DSM VM, add it and reboot the working DSM VM and open the serial console quickly by double clicking on the name of the VM or right clicking on the name of the DSM VM and open the console (this will open a new tab or window depending on your browser), and watch it so you can see what it says and looks like on a successful working DSM boot, it will fly by lines of code and processes which is normal and when its done successfully booting you will see it echo "DSM Login:" or something like that, and just a few lines above that it will show you the IP of your dsm vm. (if you look at my signature at the bottom of this message there is a link to the guide for installing redpill on proxmox, and it shows how to add a serial console with pictures and everything). At this point you should have seen what the console will look like on a successful DSM boot.
  4. Restart/Reboot your DSM VM back to TinyCore by watching the boot screen in proxmox and pressing the down arrow on the keyboard to the last grub menu item that says TINYCORE and press Enter, SSH into your TinyCore session and do ./rploader.sh to establish which version of rploader.sh you are running (this really doesn't matter, but if you want to know which version you started from). While you are there, you can do the backup, update and fullupgrade of rploader. Commands are ./rploader.sh backup now / ./rploader.sh update now / ./rploader.sh fullupgrade now . Let it do it's thing and this will get you to the latest stable release of Redpill, which you will need to install 7.1u4.
    ./rploader.sh backup now
    ./rploader.sh update now
    ./rploader.sh fullupgrade now
  5. Now reboot your DSM VM again back to DSM by selecting your original loader boot method (USB/SATA) the upgrade you just did will not affect your current working system at this point, go to synology.com and download the 7.1 with update 1 file for your platform, this file will be about 300mb in size. Also download the 7.1u4 file for your platform, this file will only be about 30mb in size.
  6. Manually update your system to 7.1u1 (the big file only) inside DSM (control panel->upgrade) and allow it to restart. Depending on how and when you created your first original Redpill, it should work without issue. If you run into a problem at this stage, I'll add something at the bottom, but it should work, as I remember 7.0.1 and 7.1 both worked at the same time so you'll be fine. You can open the serial console in proxmox during the booting and watch its display to verify its booting normal with the DSM LOGIN: as the sign of successful update, just like it did before.
  7. Now, at this stage, you should have an updated/fullupgrade redpill tinycore, a working DS#### platform running DSM7.1u1.  At this point you can manually upgrade to the 7.1u4 the small 30mb file only. When the system reboots, click back to proxmox and during its reboot, again, boot to TinyCore (last menu item) and SSH into your TinyCore session and run the ./rploader.sh postupdate <platform> command. That will do its thing, update your loader, restore the backup you made earlier and work. Reboot again, go back to proxmox and boot whatever your normal boot method was (USB or SATA whichever you used originally) and you should have a working DSM7.1u4. Hold off on the 7.1.1RC until it's official, that's my suggestion.
    ./rploader.sh postupdate <platform>

In the unlikely event your DSM7.1u1 doesn't start up correctly, you can boot into tinycore, ssh in, and try the ./rploader.sh postupdate <platform> command now and reboot back to DSM, but I don't think this will be an issue. If you still can not get back into DSM after the 7.1u1 update and the postupdate command, simply re-build the loader with your fully current and updated redpill. Do a ./rploader.sh restoresession command, add whatever ext drivers you had before (nic, etc) and the build command, as an example: ./rploader.sh build broadwellnk-7.1.0-42661 and reboot, and the restore should retain your serial/mac numbers and you will boot to 7.1u1 no matter what now, and you can proceed to step 7 to update to 7.1u4.

Good luck! Post your results, Mark this reply as ANSWERED and press the thanks button. 😉

Edited by phone guy
  • Thanks 1

On 8/16/2022 at 3:55 AM, phone guy said:

If it were me, here's how I would do it. (there is probably easier way, but this is how I would do it without fear)

1. FIRST: If at all possible, backup any important data because sometimes bad things happen, period! (ok, now that's out of the way proceed at your risk)
  2. Establish which platform your build is for (DS918/DS3622/etc). Establish what your current redpill booting method is (USB/SATA). I am going to assume you know the basics of building a loader from here on out, like SSH, watching boot screens and grub menu's in proxmox, etc...
  3. Verify you have a Serial port 1 console added to your DSM VM in Proxmox. If you don't have one, add it in proxmox now, this helps verify everything is working as expected, and takes the guess work out. If you don't have a Serial console on your DSM VM, add it and reboot the working DSM VM and open the serial console quickly by double clicking on the name of the VM or right clicking on the name of the DSM VM and open the console (this will open a new tab or window depending on your browser), and watch it so you can see what it says and looks like on a successful working DSM boot, it will fly by lines of code and processes which is normal and when its done successfully booting you will see it echo "DSM Login:" or something like that, and just a few lines above that it will show you the IP of your dsm vm. (if you look at my signature at the bottom of this message there is a link to the guide for installing redpill on proxmox, and it shows how to add a serial console with pictures and everything). At this point you should have seen what the console will look like on a successful DSM boot.
  4. Restart/Reboot your DSM VM back to TinyCore by watching the boot screen in proxmox and pressing the down arrow on the keyboard to the last grub menu item that says TINYCORE and press Enter, SSH into your TinyCore session and do ./rploader.sh to establish which version of rploader.sh you are running (this really doesn't matter, but if you want to know which version you started from). While you are there, you can do the backup, update and fullupgrade of rploader. Commands are ./rploader.sh backup now / ./rploader.sh update now / ./rploader.sh fullupgrade now . Let it do it's thing and this will get you to the latest stable release of Redpill, which you will need to install 7.1u4.
    ./rploader.sh backup now
    ./rploader.sh update now
    ./rploader.sh fullupgrade now
  5. Now reboot your DSM VM again back to DSM by selecting your original loader boot method (USB/SATA) the upgrade you just did will not affect your current working system at this point, go to synology.com and download the 7.1 with update 1 file for your platform, this file will be about 300mb in size. Also download the 7.1u4 file for your platform, this file will only be about 30mb in size.
  6. Manually update your system to 7.1u1 (the big file only) inside DSM (control panel->upgrade) and allow it to restart. Depending on how and when you created your first original Redpill, it should work without issue. If you run into a problem at this stage, I'll add something at the bottom, but it should work, as I remember 7.0.1 and 7.1 both worked at the same time so you'll be fine. You can open the serial console in proxmox during the booting and watch its display to verify its booting normal with the DSM LOGIN: as the sign of successful update, just like it did before.
  7. Now, at this stage, you should have an updated/fullupgrade redpill tinycore, a working DS#### platform running DSM7.1u1.  At this point you can manually upgrade to the 7.1u4 the small 30mb file only. When the system reboots, click back to proxmox and during its reboot, again, boot to TinyCore (last menu item) and SSH into your TinyCore session and run the ./rploader.sh postupdate <platform> command. That will do its thing, update your loader, restore the backup you made earlier and work. Reboot again, go back to proxmox and boot whatever your normal boot method was (USB or SATA whichever you used originally) and you should have a working DSM7.1u4. Hold off on the 7.1.1RC until it's official, that's my suggestion.
    ./rploader.sh postupdate <platform>

In the unlikely event your DSM7.1u1 doesn't start up correctly, you can boot into tinycore, ssh in, and try the ./rploader.sh postupdate <platform> command now and reboot back to DSM, but I don't think this will be an issue. If you still can not get back into DSM after the 7.1u1 update and the postupdate command, simply re-build the loader with your fully current and updated redpill. Do a ./rploader.sh restoresession command, add whatever ext drivers you had before (nic, etc) and the build command, as an example: ./rploader.sh build broadwellnk-7.1.0-42661 and reboot, and the restore should retain your serial/mac numbers and you will boot to 7.1u1 no matter what now, and you can proceed to step 7 to update to 7.1u4.

Good luck! Post your results, Mark this reply as ANSWERED and press the thanks button. 😉

Hello phone guy,

I want to say that thank you so much to explain step by step everything ! really thanks man!

This is can be article in the forum.

Bravo!

okay I will follow these steps and I will share the results in here.

BR

Edited by nexuscan