XPEnology Community

How to copy files/folders between two (2) XPEno NASes

Elpee

Just built successfully a new DSM 6.0 Nas with btrfs volume. Now it's time to upgrade the other old XPEno Nas that's sitting on DSM 5.2.

Was told to backup all data on the old one before upgrading. Therefore, I plan to move (copy) all data (about 10TB) from the old DSM 5.2 to the new one (DSM 6.0). Unfortunately, the copy speed is so...o...o... sl...o...o...w.... (under 35GB/s) through a Windows PC. I actually used a Win PC and mapped those two NASes as E: drive and F: drive then copied data between E and F drives. If I directly copy files/folders from the local drive (D:) to each Nas or vice versa, the speed is always above 100MB/s. All has gigabit network ports thru a gigabit switch as well.

Can you guys have any better way to copy files/folders between 2 NASes at a higher speed?

Much appreciate your inputs.

You have few options.

1. Cloud sync

2. Shared folders sync

3. On new nas mount shared folders from old nas and copy files. But for this one you need to have opened web browser with dsm

Thanks for your reply.

1. Cloud sync: I have no idea what it is. Never heard it before. Can you shed more light on it?

2. Shared folders sync: In fact, I like this way, but unfortunately, I only want to copy about 2/3 data, not all of it. Therefore I cannot use "sync" all.

3. On new nas mount shared folders: I tried this way, but after unmount shared folders from old nas, there was nothing on my new nas. I don't know why. It took me hours to copy files from the mount share folders.

Please help. Thanks.

1. Cloud sync server is synology package. It has option to sync files with mobile devices, personal computers or between synology nas devices.

2. Shared folders sync is new DSM 6.0 feature, try to play with it a bit. You dont have to sync all folders, just folders you want.