XPEnology Community

Hello all.  My first attempt after reading the forum 300000 times.

here is my output for my satamap

tc@box:~$ ./rploader.sh satamap

Found SCSI HBAs, We need to install the SCSI modules

scsi-5.10.3-tinycore64 is already installed!

Succesfully installed SCSI modules

Found "00:17.0 Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-H SATA controller [AHCI mode] (rev 31)"

Detected 6 ports/0 drives. Override # of ports or ENTER to accept <6>

Found SCSI/HBA "01:00.0 LSI Logic / Symbios Logic SAS2008 PCI-Express Fusion-MPT SAS-2 [Falcon] (rev 03)" (7 drives)

Computed settings:

SataPortMap=6

DiskIdxMap=00

All my drive are on the LSI. But DSM assistant doesnt see any drives because I assume SataPortMap=6. As my on board sata controller has 6 ports.  This numbering was consistant with 6.x. as my first drive was always drive 7.  No nvm2 drives are installed. I am using a migration attempt. But I have everything backed up.

Seems the LSI is not reporting ports just drives.   Any help is appreciated and thank you in advance.

CD

Hello all.  My first attempt after reading the forum 300000 times.

here is my output for my satamap

tc@box:~$ ./rploader.sh satamap
Found SCSI HBAs, We need to install the SCSI modules
scsi-5.10.3-tinycore64 is already installed!
Succesfully installed SCSI modules

Found "00:17.0 Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-H SATA controller [AHCI mode] (rev 31)"
Detected 6 ports/0 drives. Override # of ports or ENTER to accept

Found SCSI/HBA "01:00.0 LSI Logic / Symbios Logic SAS2008 PCI-Express Fusion-MPT SAS-2 [Falcon] (rev 03)" (7 drives)

Computed settings:
SataPortMap=6
DiskIdxMap=00

All my drive are on the LSI. But DSM assistant doesnt see any drives because I assume SataPortMap=6. As my on board sata controller has 6 ports.  This numbering was consistant with 6.x. as my first drive was always drive 7.  No nvm2 drives are installed. I am using a migration attempt. But I have everything backed up.

Seems the LSI is not reporting ports just drives.   Any help is appreciated and thank you in advance.

CD

What model are you trying to install? Models using device tree and hba are not available.

And even if it is a none dt-based model, in my experience, hba and sataporpmap settings are irrelevant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SataPortMap does not apply to LSI drives.  You have an on board controller with 6 SATA ports.  You are reserving slots for them. The LSI ports are tacked on to the end automatically (in your case, starting with slot #7)

If no LSI drives are visible during the DSM installation (migration), then your LSI controller is not being recognized by DSM.  Please don't confuse that with it being recognized by TinyCore - two different operating systems.  You need to look into another driver for the LSI or another platform that supports LSI better.

Thank you. worked fine in 6.1.  I will check get hub for a better driver.

The hba is probably one of the 9211-8i, H200, or H310. This HBA requires mpt3sas ext. There is no specific information about which option was used for the TCRP build action, but if ext is automatically searched, you can simply check which ext was added with the command below. ll *load/c*/e* And, ds918+ is still not stable with mpt3sas ext. There is a fatal error that does not display the serial number of the disk properly. The HBA and the most stable model is the DS3622xs+ included in the Broadwell nk platform.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can Confirm the build seen, downloaded and loaded the mpt3sas. I am going to make sure all my MB ports are set to hotswap and turn of NVME and do a fresh build as it only takes a few minutes.  Thank you for sticking with the thread I will post the build log later tonight.

tyty

CD

My last build last night posted this:

[#] Filling-in newly downloaded recipe for extension pocopico.mpt3sas platform ds918p_42661

[#] Downloading remote file https://raw.githubusercontent.com/pocopico/rp-ext/master/mpt3sas/releases/mpt3sas-4.4.180plus.tgz to /home/tc/redpill-load/custom/extensions/pocopico.mpt3sas/ds918p_42661/mpt3sas-4.4.180plus.tgz

######################################################################### 100.0%

[#] Verifying /home/tc/redpill-load/custom/extensions/pocopico.mpt3sas/ds918p_42661/mpt3sas-4.4.180plus.tgz file... [OK]

[#] Unpacking files from /home/tc/redpill-load/custom/extensions/pocopico.mpt3sas/ds918p_42661/mpt3sas-4.4.180plus.tgz to /home/tc/redpill-load/custom/extensions/pocopico.mpt3sas/ds918p_42661/... [OK]

[#] Downloading remote file https://raw.githubusercontent.com/pocopico/rp-ext/master/mpt3sas/src/check-mpt3sas.sh to /home/tc/redpill-load/custom/extensions/pocopico.mpt3sas/ds918p_42661/check-mpt3sas.sh

######################################################################### 100.0%

[#] Verifying /home/tc/redpill-load/custom/extensions/pocopico.mpt3sas/ds918p_42661/check-mpt3sas.sh file... [OK]

[#] Successfully processed recipe for extension pocopico.mpt3sas platform ds918p_42661

[#] Downloading remote file https://github.com/RedPill-TTG/redpill-boot-wait/raw/master/recipes/universal.json to /home/tc/redpill-load/custom/extensions/_ext_new_rcp.tmp_json

Working in bios now then a new build

Perhaps an error occurred while mpt3sas ext was loaded in junior.

If you can access the DSM installation request screen with ttyd as below,

Then send me the log with the command you see.

You must use a web browser.

http://<youripaddr>:7681/

id : root / pw : ( no password )

cat /var/log/*rc*

ls -l /sys/block

ls -la /sys/class/ata_device

ls -l /dev/syno*

i was able to get dsm 7 installed.  I tried to put all my sata in hot swap mode - no luck.  I just turned off my motherboards sata and it worked just fine.  Not sure why but it did.  I would like to get my nvme drive working for cache.  I will need to test that.  I will pull that log when i do a new usb to test nvme with sata on.   

When I to override satamap and put the ports to 14 it failed and said anything over 9 does not work at this time..  Is that true?

ty

CD

4 hours ago, cabldevil said:

i was able to get dsm 7 installed.  I tried to put all my sata in hot swap mode - no luck.  I just turned off my motherboards sata and it worked just fine.  Not sure why but it did.  I would like to get my nvme drive working for cache.  I will need to test that.  I will pull that log when i do a new usb to test nvme with sata on.   

When I to override satamap and put the ports to 14 it failed and said anything over 9 does not work at this time..  Is that true?

ty

CD

What is your motherboard model number?
This is to check the possibility that the SATA port and nvme are muxed.
If nvme is muxed, you should give up nvme activation on ds918+.

Is there a compelling reason to use the ds918+?
Is it because of transcoding?
Depending on your answer, we can recommend switching to another model.
You can look again how to activate nvme.

Yes Because of QuckSync and Plex.  I will send Asus motherboard info when i arrive home.  Thank you again for sticking with me.

CD

ty

CD

If an M.2 SATA type SSD is used, it is informed that it corresponds to Muxed in which the SATA port is shared as expected.
However, it is said that the port sharing phenomenon can be avoided if the setting is maintained in the M.2 PCIE nvme method.

I'm not sure exactly what the setting below means, but
If you need to boot to NVME, they are told to change this setting.

Advanced => Onboard Devices Configuration => M.2 and SATA Express Mode configuration => M.2 , SATA Express

The DS918+ was chosen because of the need to use transcoding and HBAs, but it's not the best.
As mentioned last time, HBA is unstable on DS918+.

Do the disks use RAID?

If RAID is used, when replacement or recovery of a failed disk is required, Synology Disk Manager recognizes the replacement slot based on the disk's serial number.
However, DS918+ can only display disk serials as sda/sdb/sdc, etc.
This can be a very serious problem because it is impossible to replace a bad disk among RAIDed disks.

Edited by Peter Suh

Thank you Peter Suh.

M.2 is not that important to me or this plex server if it will jeopardize the raid 5 btrfs. 

As I see it in the chart quicksync transcoding is not an option on any other platform except DS918+

I use 8 hdds. 4 8tb 2 10tb and 2 14tb. On the H200.

Logically I am out of options unless you can enlighten me with an alternative.    Other than Truenas Scale (drives are a mix). or Unraid (poor performance IMO)

Thank you again.

CD

918 + HBA = problems. I use ds3622 broadwellnk platform with HBA + 8 hdds and I get real smart data/serial/etc from hdds, but I do not need or use quicksync... so I can see the problem. I wanted to let you know, for sure, hba and 3622 platform works fine...Sorry I have nothing productive to add, I hope you are able to get it sorted.