XPEnology Community

Can't Open any newer DSM .PAT files since DSM 7.0

I apologize to have to ask anyone about this. As it may seem basic.

But has anyone noticed all the newer .pat files from Synology you can't open?

I have tried everything imaginable.

I use to open these with 7-zip.

That was 6.2.4 and earlier.

But what happened?

All the later PAT files are in some format you can't extract them any more?

I truly truly would honestly appreciate anyone who knows how to open these newer pat files.

Try it. Download any 7.x PAT file for any NAS. It won't open.

Please help!

Thanks!

2 hours ago, Synology_Service said:

I apologize to have to ask anyone about this. As it may seem basic.

But has anyone noticed all the newer .pat files from Synology you can't open?

I have tried everything imaginable.

I use to open these with 7-zip.

That was 6.2.4 and earlier.

But what happened?

All the later PAT files are in some format you can't extract them any more?

I truly truly would honestly appreciate anyone who knows how to open these newer pat files.

Try it. Download any 7.x PAT file for any NAS. It won't open.

Please help!

Thanks!

Why Do You Need to Open DSM 7.x pat Files?
For what analysis is it intended to be used?
Or is it necessary for XPE development?

As of DSM 7.1, the PAT file is encrypted, so to open this file
A separate decryption process is required.
pocopico's TCRP contains the decryption process for DSM 7.1 files.
You can use the PAT file regenerated by this decryption process or the folder decompressed by the intermediate process.

Thanks for your reply. Actually the idea behind this is that I have a older unit. A DS1512+. And I wanted to test a 7.x file on it since the motherboard practically identical to a DS1513+. Same parts too. Now the older units prior to 2013 only go up to DSM 5.2. But the DS1513+ goes up to DSM7.x. So imagine you have the opportunity to allow a older NAS the ability to run the newer DSM's. So I wanted to test this idea, and change the info in, so the unit thinks it a DS1513+. I have been able to do this on the DSM's prior to 7.x with ease. Just when I started this project a week ago as an idea, I noticed I couldn't open the newer DSM files. Not sure why Synology has done it this way too. As it wasn't really needed. Anyways. Thanks for the input. I also felt maybe this could be a future contribution when finally all the 2015's, and later dates, get eventually removed on the DSM lists of future releases. I just wasn't aware of TCRP, and the process behind it.. Now that is only one reason. Not to boost at all really. Honestly too. I am the only service comp. for Synology NAS's in the USA. My other half is in Germany. And I currently have 5 models with a similar failed USBEST/Phison controllers on the Flash drives. So needed to find a way to move the 7.x DSM's over to a new flash drives with a newly replaced controller. And i get a lot of those. And noticed the DSM 7.x was encrypted. Just never had a new DSM needed to do until recently. and the customer already had migrated to DSM 7.x. So both scenarios are needed for this. And maybe even for future Xpenology guys.. Thanks. Will try to research that idea more you sent. Again. Thanks!

Edited by Synology_Service
  • Like 1