XPEnology Community

DSM6 setup not finding drives on DSM 7

mgrobins

Question

I'm stumped. Have a system running Jun's DS3615xs loader just fine.

I use Bare metal installs.

I've attempted multiple configs of RP for DSM 7.1.0-42661 and continually get drive not found (When drive attached to LSI-9211-8i HBA) or it seems ok, reboots and doesn't recognise an install if I connect drive to SATA.

Hardware:
supermicro x10sdv-4c-tln2f   - Xeon D-1521 4 core (Broadwell); 2x intel-x550 10GBe NIC, 6x sata, 1x M.2 PCIE, 8GB ECC RAM. VGA onboard (not HDMI, old style VGA)

LSI 9211-8i  (IT mode)

using IPMI to connect.

Bios Questions and testing:

1. Should I use Legacy or EFI Bios setup?

2. M.2 is disabled in Bios

3. I have tried builds with SATA enabled and disabled.

Tiny Pill testing:

1. Have tried DS3622xs+ and DS3617XS

2. Loads ixgbe drivers for NICs

3. Loads mp3s (cant recall name :P) for LSI/SCSI 

4. Does not appear to load a driver for the VGA (and I cant disable it without losing my IPMI KVM visibility)? 

5. Broadwell produces a satamap finding 6 ports, DiskIDMap 0000

(1 drive connected when on sata, 0 when on HBA). 

I have tested manually adjusting this to 0 with SATA disabled, 1 when enabled, 6 enabled.   

I am NOT conversant with the DiskID. Will test next using 1000 following Flyride guidance in similar problem thread I found   

- should I test using theDS1621+ since it forms a tree automatically?

Build steps (and result):

./rploader.sh update now  (ok)
./rploader.sh fullupgrade   (ok)
./rploader.sh identifyusb    (ok)
./rploader.sh serialgen DS3622xs+ realmac (ok I think? - see ? below)

At this point I edited user_config.json to add additional MAC for 2nd NIC - is this necessary?

./rploader.sh satamap (
./rploader.sh build broadwellnk-7.1.0-42661

On install I am using Synology .pat  DSM 7.1.0-42661 (includes update 1).   The base 42661 install is "Virtual" and offers no hardware specific versions. I'm unsure if this is a problem with the version and Tiny pill?

I'm using IPMI. I am not sure how to access the serial output for checking activity as mentioned in a few threads I've read to seek solutions :).

THankful for any guidance and corrections! I'll post up the compile result when I do my next test run.

Edited by mgrobins
added info

2 hours ago, Peter Suh said:

Even TTYD (redpill-misc) may not work due to some error.

I think you should check it step by step starting from the TC's loader build stage.

DS3617xs built with my my.sh ?

If so, do not reboot yet, and use the following two commands in TC Linux.
I want to know which ext is being installed and the contents of user_config.json first.

Please capture the execution result of the 3 commands below and tell us.

tc@box:~$ ll

tc@box:~$ ll *load/c*/e*

tc@box:~$ cat user_config.json

Yes I use DS3617xs with your my.sh assistant.

I can't access TinyCore Linux without rebooting into the boot loader GUI.  

Attached image is where my bootup gets too in the KVM screen.  On the DSM login page I have the "No disks detected".

I can't SSH in either.

Screenshot 2022-08-15 141554.jpg

39 minutes ago, mgrobins said:

Yes I use DS3617xs with your my.sh assistant.

I can't access TinyCore Linux without rebooting into the boot loader GUI.  

Attached image is where my bootup gets too in the KVM screen.  On the DSM login page I have the "No disks detected".

I can't SSH in either.

Screenshot 2022-08-15 141554.jpg

When Grub Menu is booting, you need to quickly select the 3rd menu at the bottom of the 3 menus displayed on the screen within 4 seconds to enter TC Linux.

54 minutes ago, Peter Suh said:

When Grub Menu is booting, you need to quickly select the 3rd menu at the bottom of the 3 menus displayed on the screen within 4 seconds to enter TC Linux.

ok got it.

Why are you using an OR operator (||) with no preceeding argument?

If this doesn't work, I may disconnect the HBA again, and knowing the DS3617 can at least boot... I'll try things connected to the SATA.

Interestingly, even with SATA disabled in Bios, my.sh sets sata ports as 1, DiskID 0000. 

Is this because there is an m.2 drive or having sata port 1 available as a DOM?

Edited by mgrobins

19 minutes ago, mgrobins said:

ok got it.

Why are you using an OR operator (||) with no preceeding argument?

If this doesn't work, I may disconnect the HBA again, and knowing the DS3617 can at least boot... I'll try things connected to the SATA.

Interestingly, even with SATA disabled in Bios, my.sh sets sata ports as 1, DiskID 0000. 

Is this because there is an m.2 drive or having sata port 1 available as a DOM?

It's so tough.
You should have some basic knowledge of Linux.
I'm getting tired too. ㅜㅜ
|| is the ls command, not the OR operator.
Sometimes ls -l is used instead of ll .

13 minutes ago, Peter Suh said:

It's so tough.
You should have some basic knowledge of Linux.
I'm getting tired too. ㅜㅜ
|| is the ls command, not the OR operator.
Sometimes ls -l is used instead of ll .

Tired of helping me or tired because it's late?  

I hope i'm not a burden... I help others on different forums a lot but feel bad asking for others time 😕

Attached screenshot shows the commands requested. Using ls -l works but not || (maybe I'm typing it wrong)

DS3617xs_my.sh build-sata disabled.jpg

The contents informed by the captured image are exactly the same as my environment The preparation environment and extensions of TC and m shell seem to be fine.

Since XPENOLOGY and LINUX use UTC, there may be misunderstandings as the time error is visible.

This isn't a problem, so don't worry.

Since the NIC says that the IP is checked, I will guide you on how to check the log again.

TTYD is a way to give up and connect via Telnet.

Edited by Peter Suh

Keep that black screen displaying Booting The Kernel,

In a separate PC's web browser, do the following.

http://youripaddr:5000/webman/start_telnet.cgi

Leave your web browser alone

Separately, try a telnet connection from a PUTTY or terminal window.

> telnet youripaddr (ex, 192.168.x.x)

The account is root and there is no password.

If you have successfully entered this stage, please let me know the result.

Edited by Peter Suh

8 minutes ago, mgrobins said:

ok thanks Peter. I'll proceed on this.

I've enabled SATA and disabled the HBA as a start. I want to get it working with the basics and then I will add the HBA and sort it out.

Sata Port's ahci ext may cause an error and prevent mpt3sas ext from loading, so please check the log first with the BIOS disabled as desired.

Ok. With SATA enabled and HBA disabled, NAS is discovered by finder. I install the DS3617xs .pat file for 7.1.0-42661-1  and after reboot it still says "Not installed".

Leaving it at the install DSM screen I attempt to open web browser and only get {"success": true} on otherwise blank page.

Left that alone and used Putty to telnet to IP:5000 with no outcome but a screen which does nothing.

I'm seriously stumped at this point 😕

ok last entry tonight.

DS3617xs will get to the install stage but after installing the drives are just not recognised properly or there is an issue.

It just goes back to finder and wants to install again.

I did up a build with SATA enabled and HBA enabled... 1 disk on each. Same issue.

No SATA = "no drives found" error.

I need to resolve this part before I tackle the HBA, or disable SATA and get the HBA going which was the solution for another person.

Drives are both brand new just opened Ironwolf 4TB.

DS3617xs -my.sh-SATA enabled-HBA Enabled-1.jpg

I will also leave it as the last item of the day.

Have you ever used telnet?

Is this your first time using it with me?

Seeing {"success": true} on the screen means that the telnet daemon has started normally.

telnet is executed in the terminal as follows.

The screen you are trying to connect to telnet should also be shared.

Without a log, nothing can be judged.

> telnet 192.168.1.141

32976649_2022-08-155_39_57.thumb.png.5368cd8a8511286238a411855d581645.png

Edited by Peter Suh

13 hours ago, Peter Suh said:

I will also leave it as the last item of the day.

Have you ever used telnet?

Is this your first time using it with me?

Seeing {"success": true} on the screen means that the telnet daemon has started normally.

telnet is executed in the terminal as follows.

The screen you are trying to connect to telnet should also be shared.

Without a log, nothing can be judged.

> telnet 192.168.1.141

Absolutely agree. i need logs.

No I've not used Telnet like this. Previously use Putty to SSH into my servers or many years ago using telnet in dos. 

It's the first time Ive sought help from you certainly - and thank you again for persisting.

Results for review 

Build: DS3617xs.  SATA disabled, HBA enabled. Legacy bios.

Instructions used:

./rploader.sh clean

./rploader.sh update

./rploader.sh fullupgrade

./my.sh DS3617xs realmac noclean 

Note: Disk map still "1" not zero... unsure why.

Telnet session results

Spoiler

DiskStation> cat /var/log/*rc*
START /linuxrc.syno.impl
Insert Marvell 1475 SATA controller driver
Insert basic USB modules...
:: Loading module usb-common ... [  OK  ]
:: Loading module usbcore ... [  OK  ]
:: Loading module xhci-hcd ... [  OK  ]
:: Loading module xhci-pci ... [  OK  ]
:: Loading module usb-storage ... [  OK  ]
:: Loading kernel modules from extensions ...
Loading kmod #0 "dca.ko" for PeterSuh-Q3.ixgbe (args: )
Loading kmod #1 "ixgbe.ko" for PeterSuh-Q3.ixgbe (args: )
insmod: can't insert 'ixgbe.ko': invalid module format
ERROR: kernel extensions "ixgbe.ko" from PeterSuh-Q3.ixgbe failed to load
Exit on error [99] rp ext init exec failure...
Mon Aug 15 07:48:31 UTC 2022
none /sys/kernel/debug debugfs rw,relatime 0 0

Spoiler

DiskStation> ls -l /sys/block
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root             0 Jan  1 00:09 ram0 -> ../devices/virtual/block/ram0
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root             0 Jan  1 00:09 ram1 -> ../devices/virtual/block/ram1
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root             0 Jan  1 00:09 ram10 -> ../devices/virtual/block/ram10
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root             0 Jan  1 00:09 ram11 -> ../devices/virtual/block/ram11
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root             0 Jan  1 00:09 ram12 -> ../devices/virtual/block/ram12
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root             0 Jan  1 00:09 ram13 -> ../devices/virtual/block/ram13
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root             0 Jan  1 00:09 ram14 -> ../devices/virtual/block/ram14
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root             0 Jan  1 00:09 ram15 -> ../devices/virtual/block/ram15
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root             0 Jan  1 00:09 ram2 -> ../devices/virtual/block/ram2
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root             0 Jan  1 00:09 ram3 -> ../devices/virtual/block/ram3
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root             0 Jan  1 00:09 ram4 -> ../devices/virtual/block/ram4
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root             0 Jan  1 00:09 ram5 -> ../devices/virtual/block/ram5
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root             0 Jan  1 00:09 ram6 -> ../devices/virtual/block/ram6
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root             0 Jan  1 00:09 ram7 -> ../devices/virtual/block/ram7
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root             0 Jan  1 00:09 ram8 -> ../devices/virtual/block/ram8
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root             0 Jan  1 00:09 ram9 -> ../devices/virtual/block/ram9
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root             0 Jan  1 00:09 synoboot -> ../devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:14.0/usb1/1-3/1-3.1/1- .1:1.0/host0/target0:0:0/0:0:0:0/block/synoboot
DiskStation>

Spoiler

DiskStation> ls -la /sys/class/ata_device
drwxr-xr-x    2 root     root             0 Jan  1 00:11 .
drwxr-xr-x   54 root     root             0 Aug 15  2022 ..
DiskStation>

Spoiler

DiskStation> ls -l /dev/syno*
crw-r--r--    1 root     root      201,   0 Aug 15  2022 /dev/synobios
brw-------    1 root     root      135, 240 Aug 15  2022 /dev/synoboot
brw-------    1 root     root      135, 241 Aug 15  2022 /dev/synoboot1
brw-------    1 root     root      135, 242 Aug 15  2022 /dev/synoboot2
brw-------    1 root     root      135, 243 Aug 15  2022 /dev/synoboot3
DiskStation>

I don't see an mpt3sas driver at all

Edited by mgrobins

Even after I have done a manual install of the mpt3sas and mpt2sas drivers before I build my loader... I am still not seeing them when I run cat /var/log/*rc*

Is this because of the error loading ixgbe.ko that is stated?

Edited by mgrobins

On 7/30/2022 at 8:32 PM, Peter Suh said:

If only HBA is used, the sataportmap in user_config.json is ignored no matter what value is set.

This is not 100% correct.  SataPortMap/DiskIdxMap are not consulted for HBA disk assignment, but the HBA assignment begins wherever the SataPortMap assignments end.

If there are no SATA ports of any kind mapped, it is required to have SataPortMap=00 and DiskIdxMap=00 so that the HBA assignments occur in the port namespace. If a virtual SATA port is being mapped out of the port namespace (Sataboot or the ProxMox false controller) and there are no other SATA ports mapped, then SataPortMap=1000 and DiskIdxMap=00 for proper HBA assignment.

TCRP rploader.sh satamap attempts to calculate this if it detects only SCSI/HBA even though it is technically not configuring HBA ports with SataPortMap

39 minutes ago, flyride said:

This is not 100% correct.  SataPortMap/DiskIdxMap are not consulted for HBA disk assignment, but the HBA assignment begins wherever the SataPortMap assignments end.

If there are no SATA ports of any kind mapped, it is required to have SataPortMap=00 and DiskIdxMap=00 so that the HBA assignments occur in the port namespace. If a virtual SATA port is being mapped out of the port namespace (Sataboot or the ProxMox false controller) and there are no other SATA ports mapped, then SataPortMap=1000 and DiskIdxMap=00 for proper HBA assignment.

TCRP rploader.sh satamap attempts to calculate this if it detects only SCSI/HBA even though it is technically not configuring HBA ports with SataPortMap

Thank you.

I note I'm getting a system time error during the listmods command and the loader is contacting ntp server for time... which is set incorrectly.

Is this a problem? I ask as I've other software that has malfunctioned when time between server and program has been out (and not apparently been necessary to consider).

Edited by mgrobins

2 hours ago, mgrobins said:

Even after I have done a manual install of the mpt3sas and mpt2sas drivers before I build my loader... I am still not seeing them when I run cat /var/log/*rc*

Is this because of the error loading ixgbe.ko that is stated?

Connect one more time with the above telnet and check the exts directory once more.
ls -l /exts
There is probably an mpt3sas folder in it.

It seems that there was no case where ixgbe.ko ext was verified in DS3617xs.
It's not 100% accurate.

But DS3622s+ seems to be able to make intel-x550 10GBe NIC work.
It seems that x550 NIC is the issue rather than mpt3sas.

Are you using 2 of these NICs?
Is the x550 dual port? If so, will it use a total of 4 ports?

I'll have to look at the log of DS3622xs+ and decide,
DS3622xs+ has its own built-in ixgbe vanilla ext.
So if ixgbe.ko is added manually, there is a possibility that the two exts will conflict with each other.

Prepare the loader of DS3622xs+ again, but never add ixgbe ext separately.
After building the loader, check once again whether the ixgbe directory is created with

ls -l *load/c*/e*

Likewise, please attach 5 logs including ls -l /exts through telnet once more.

3 hours ago, Peter Suh said:

Connect one more time with the above telnet and check the exts directory once more.
ls -l /exts
There is probably an mpt3sas folder in it.

It seems that there was no case where ixgbe.ko ext was verified in DS3617xs.
It's not 100% accurate.

But DS3622s+ seems to be able to make intel-x550 10GBe NIC work.
It seems that x550 NIC is the issue rather than mpt3sas.

Are you using 2 of these NICs?
Is the x550 dual port? If so, will it use a total of 4 ports?

I'll have to look at the log of DS3622xs+ and decide,
DS3622xs+ has its own built-in ixgbe vanilla ext.
So if ixgbe.ko is added manually, there is a possibility that the two exts will conflict with each other.

Prepare the loader of DS3622xs+ again, but never add ixgbe ext separately.
After building the loader, check once again whether the ixgbe directory is created with

ls -l *load/c*/e*

Likewise, please attach 5 logs including ls -l /exts through telnet once more.

Ive been using DS3617xs not DS3622xs+ as the 3622 doesn't even get to a point where I can discover in finder.

Which do you think I should use now?

As an additional remark... If I am able to access the install screen then the Ethernet adapters are working.
THe x550 is the only ethernet chip on the board (2 allocated MAC addresses). I'm unsure how the conflict of ixgbe.ko is impacting anything...

Edited by mgrobins

In the case of DS3622xs+, the built-in vanilla version of ixgbe ext is automatically loaded so far, so I have never seen a case where an IP is not assigned.
I don't actually have a 10Gbps NIC, but I'm talking about the many results I've been advising on this case so far.

Is DS3622xs+ built only with my.sh without any additional commands?

Did you build ./rploader.sh as below without using any commands directly?
./my.sh DS3622xs+ realmac nocelan

For the m shell
Clean, update and fullupgrade with ./rploader.sh are unnecessary.

./my.sh DS3622xs+ realmac nocelan
Can you also show the build log that processed the ?

Also, please show the list of extension folders once more. (Important.)

ls -l *load/c*/e*

Edited by Peter Suh

Info from build.

With DS3622xs+ I do not even have a discoverable NAS in finder. As I mentioned to you previously DS3617xs is the only one that seems to work and give a discoverable NAS... even though it fails past that point.

I cannot give you the build log because there is no way for me to copy and paste it from the terminal program in the TC gui.

ds3622xs-nosata-my.sh-1.jpg

Edited by mgrobins

1 hour ago, mgrobins said:

Info from build.

With DS3622xs+ I do not even have a discoverable NAS in finder. As I mentioned to you previously DS3617xs is the only one that seems to work and give a discoverable NAS... even though it fails past that point.

I cannot give you the build log because there is no way for me to copy and paste it from the terminal program in the TC gui.

ds3622xs-nosata-my.sh-1.jpg

On DS3622xs+
PeterSuh-Q3.ixgbe should not be added.
Perhaps, rploader added this ext by auto-discovery.

You don't have to worry about misc, boot-wait, virtio at the bottom because they are bundled exts.
Add only mpt3sas manually. (You seem to already know how to add a separate manually.)

Then, finally, use m shell as below.
Ext will not be added automatically by manual option.

./my.sh DS3622xs+ realmac nocelan manual

After all builds
ls -l *load/*c/*e
send one more time

4 hours ago, Peter Suh said:

On DS3622xs+
PeterSuh-Q3.ixgbe should not be added.
Perhaps, rploader added this ext by auto-discovery.

You don't have to worry about misc, boot-wait, virtio at the bottom because they are bundled exts.
Add only mpt3sas manually. (You seem to already know how to add a separate manually.)

Then, finally, use m shell as below.
Ext will not be added automatically by manual option.

./my.sh DS3622xs+ realmac nocelan manual

After all builds
ls -l *load/*c/*e
send one more time

making progress. 1st time I've been able to get NAS to show in Syno assistant with DS3622xs+.

I'm not convinced the mpt3sas extension has loaded even after adding it manually.

Still shows no drives found. 
Telnet prompt indicates no dSM installed at all (expected).

Spoiler

SynologyNAS> cat /var/log/*rc*
START /linuxrc.syno.impl
Insert Marvell 1475 SATA controller driver
Insert basic USB modules...
:: Loading module usb-common ... [  OK  ]
:: Loading module usbcore ... [  OK  ]
:: Loading module ehci-hcd ... [  OK  ]
:: Loading module ehci-pci ... [  OK  ]
:: Loading module xhci-hcd ... [  OK  ]
:: Loading module xhci-pci ... [  OK  ]
:: Loading module usb-storage ... [  OK  ]
:: Loading kernel modules from extensions ...
Checking if kmods for thethorgroup.virtio should run using check-virtio.sh script
Checking for VirtIO
*No* VirtIO hypervisor detected
NOT loading kmods for thethorgroup.virtio
:: Loading kernel modules from extensions ... [  OK  ]
:: Executing "on_boot" custom scripts ...
Running "install_rd.sh" for redpill-misc->on_boot
Starting ttyd, listening on port: 7681
Ran "install_rd.sh" for redpill-misc->on_boot - exit=0
Running "boot-wait.sh" for thethorgroup.boot-wait->on_boot
Still waiting for boot device (waited 1 of 30 seconds)
Still waiting for boot device (waited 2 of 30 seconds)
Still waiting for boot device (waited 3 of 30 seconds)
Confirmed a valid-looking /dev/synoboot device
Ran "boot-wait.sh" for thethorgroup.boot-wait->on_boot - exit=0
:: Executing "on_boot" custom scripts ... [  OK  ]
Extensions processed
insmod: can't insert '/lib/modules/etxhci-hcd.ko': No such file or directory
Insert net driver(Mindspeed only)...
Starting /usr/syno/bin/synocfgen...
/usr/syno/bin/synocfgen returns 0
Insert synorbd kernel module
Insert synofsbd kernel module
Insert sha256 kernel module
All disk ready or timeout execeed
Exit on error [1] DISK NOT INSTALLED...
Tue Aug 16 20:36:55 UTC 2022
none /sys/kernel/debug debugfs rw,relatime 0 0
SynologyNAS>

Spoiler

SynologyNAS> ls -l /sys/block
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root             0 Jan  1 00:04 ram0 -> ../devices/virtual/block/ram0
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root             0 Jan  1 00:04 ram1 -> ../devices/virtual/block/ram1
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root             0 Jan  1 00:04 ram10 -> ../devices/virtual/block/ram10
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root             0 Jan  1 00:04 ram11 -> ../devices/virtual/block/ram11
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root             0 Jan  1 00:04 ram12 -> ../devices/virtual/block/ram12
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root             0 Jan  1 00:04 ram13 -> ../devices/virtual/block/ram13
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root             0 Jan  1 00:04 ram14 -> ../devices/virtual/block/ram14
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root             0 Jan  1 00:04 ram15 -> ../devices/virtual/block/ram15
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root             0 Jan  1 00:04 ram2 -> ../devices/virtual/block/ram2
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root             0 Jan  1 00:04 ram3 -> ../devices/virtual/block/ram3
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root             0 Jan  1 00:04 ram4 -> ../devices/virtual/block/ram4
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root             0 Jan  1 00:04 ram5 -> ../devices/virtual/block/ram5
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root             0 Jan  1 00:04 ram6 -> ../devices/virtual/block/ram6
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root             0 Jan  1 00:04 ram7 -> ../devices/virtual/block/ram7
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root             0 Jan  1 00:04 ram8 -> ../devices/virtual/block/ram8
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root             0 Jan  1 00:04 ram9 -> ../devices/virtual/block/ram9
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root             0 Jan  1 00:04 synoboot -> ../devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:14.0/usb1/1-3/1-3.1/1-3.1:1.0/host0/target0:0:0/0:0:0:0/block/synoboot

Spoiler

SynologyNAS> ls -la /sys/class/ata_device
drwxr-xr-x    2 root     root             0 Jan  1 00:05 .
drwxr-xr-x   54 root     root             0 Aug 16  2022 ..
SynologyNAS>

Spoiler

SynologyNAS> ls -l /dev/syno*
crw-r--r--    1 root     root      201,   0 Aug 16  2022 /dev/synobios
brw-------    1 root     root      135, 240 Aug 16  2022 /dev/synoboot
brw-------    1 root     root      135, 241 Aug 16  2022 /dev/synoboot1
brw-------    1 root     root      135, 242 Aug 16  2022 /dev/synoboot2
brw-------    1 root     root      135, 243 Aug 16  2022 /dev/synoboot3
SynologyNAS>

DS3622xs+ NOSATA -my.sh manual.jpg