XPEnology Community

DSM6 setup not finding drives on DSM 7

mgrobins

Question

I'm stumped. Have a system running Jun's DS3615xs loader just fine.

I use Bare metal installs.

I've attempted multiple configs of RP for DSM 7.1.0-42661 and continually get drive not found (When drive attached to LSI-9211-8i HBA) or it seems ok, reboots and doesn't recognise an install if I connect drive to SATA.

Hardware:
supermicro x10sdv-4c-tln2f   - Xeon D-1521 4 core (Broadwell); 2x intel-x550 10GBe NIC, 6x sata, 1x M.2 PCIE, 8GB ECC RAM. VGA onboard (not HDMI, old style VGA)

LSI 9211-8i  (IT mode)

using IPMI to connect.

Bios Questions and testing:

1. Should I use Legacy or EFI Bios setup?

2. M.2 is disabled in Bios

3. I have tried builds with SATA enabled and disabled.

Tiny Pill testing:

1. Have tried DS3622xs+ and DS3617XS

2. Loads ixgbe drivers for NICs

3. Loads mp3s (cant recall name :P) for LSI/SCSI 

4. Does not appear to load a driver for the VGA (and I cant disable it without losing my IPMI KVM visibility)? 

5. Broadwell produces a satamap finding 6 ports, DiskIDMap 0000

(1 drive connected when on sata, 0 when on HBA). 

I have tested manually adjusting this to 0 with SATA disabled, 1 when enabled, 6 enabled.   

I am NOT conversant with the DiskID. Will test next using 1000 following Flyride guidance in similar problem thread I found   

- should I test using theDS1621+ since it forms a tree automatically?

Build steps (and result):

./rploader.sh update now  (ok)
./rploader.sh fullupgrade   (ok)
./rploader.sh identifyusb    (ok)
./rploader.sh serialgen DS3622xs+ realmac (ok I think? - see ? below)

At this point I edited user_config.json to add additional MAC for 2nd NIC - is this necessary?

./rploader.sh satamap (
./rploader.sh build broadwellnk-7.1.0-42661

On install I am using Synology .pat  DSM 7.1.0-42661 (includes update 1).   The base 42661 install is "Virtual" and offers no hardware specific versions. I'm unsure if this is a problem with the version and Tiny pill?

I'm using IPMI. I am not sure how to access the serial output for checking activity as mentioned in a few threads I've read to seek solutions :).

THankful for any guidance and corrections! I'll post up the compile result when I do my next test run.

Edited by mgrobins
added info

Currently in pocopico's TCRP
DS920+ or DS1621+ do not support HBA ext correctly.
So for use with HBAs, the DS3622xs+ is best.

BIOS settings should be matched to legacy if possible.
Additionally, for HBA, use legacy instead of EFI in the storage options in BIOS.

If you want to automatically set the second REALMAC address, you can also use my M shell.
Please search for m shell in software modding.

Ctrl+Insert , Shift+Insert keys will be appropriate for copy and paste shortcuts in MS Windows terminal.

Finally, if the disk is used only for HBA in DS3622xs+, SataPortMap is not referenced.
However, if you need to use a disk for the built-in Sata, you need to pre-adjust the SataPortMap before the build action is processed through the vi editor.

27 minutes ago, Peter Suh said:

Currently in pocopico's TCRP
DS920+ or DS1621+ do not support HBA ext correctly.
So for use with HBAs, the DS3622xs+ is best.

BIOS settings should be matched to legacy if possible.
Additionally, for HBA, use legacy instead of EFI in the storage options in BIOS.

Finally, if the disk is used only for HBA in DS3622xs+, SataPortMap is not referenced.
However, if you need to use a disk for the built-in Sata, you need to pre-adjust the SataPortMap before the build action is processed through the vi editor.

Peter thanks for replying :).

I generally have the SATA ports disabled and use the HBA. In that scenario I skip the SATAMAP function totally for the user_Config.json?

I use USB for boot not a sata disk.

I've set everything back to Legacy which has been my ongoing setup... just mentioned it to try and find a path I can work with.

This morning I tried DS3615xs as that's the only one that worked for me on Jun loader DSM6.xx   but it also reads no drives.

Much reading on DiskMAp ID etc and Still unsure how to set that if I have SATA ports enabled.

My hardware has:

Sata 6  - assume it's the first controller but not sure how the (disabled) m.2 fits into the equation.

HBA 8.

I'll keep plodding away and hopefully the learned advice of others like yourself will get me there!

Is there anything I should be posting up here to assist in troubleshooting?

If only HBA is used, the sataportmap in user_config.json is ignored no matter what value is set.
If none of the disks are still visible,

You need to check once again whether the HBA's mpt3sas ext is operating correctly.
To check if TCRP automatically finds and adds it at build time
Check out the extensions folder.
ll *load/c*/e*

If the mpt3sas folder is checked here, ext is ready.

The screen that no discs are found is probably junior, which is the DSM installation stage.
Attach the log below on this junior.

http://<youripaddr>:7681/

id : root / pw : ( no password )

cat /var/log/*rc*

ls -l /sys/block

ls -la /sys/class/ata_device

ls -l /dev/syno*

29 minutes ago, Peter Suh said:

Or maybe your HBA isn't recognized by the Supermicro MOBO at all.
Are the disks mounted through the HBA checked in BIOS?

Ive been using this HBA on this system with DSM 6 across several versions and had no issues. 
I don't see any option within the bios to see the disks on the HBA (I'll check the boot list).

Once I retry this I will do homework you set above to see if the HBA driver is indeed functioning.

I have manually added it as well and it does seem to be called correctly and states it is installed.

24 minutes ago, mgrobins said:

Ive been using this HBA on this system with DSM 6 across several versions and had no issues. 
I don't see any option within the bios to see the disks on the HBA (I'll check the boot list).

Once I retry this I will do homework you set above to see if the HBA driver is indeed functioning.

I have manually added it as well and it does seem to be called correctly and states it is installed.

If you used the legacy option on the storage side in BIOS,
On the boot screen, you will see a screen that detects disks in the LSI BIOS.
Are the disks detected as many as you want to use?

Like this.

E2C9C99E-23D2-41C2-8379-56D5F664A79C_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.9d19652d57b0687dd41ea12e54966007.jpeg.f4c5ea41cbfb70f4128fea99e0978f99.jpeg

Edited by Peter Suh

1 hour ago, Peter Suh said:

If you used the legacy option on the storage side in BIOS,
On the boot screen, you will see a screen that detects disks in the LSI BIOS.
Are the disks detected as many as you want to use?

Like this.

E2C9C99E-23D2-41C2-8379-56D5F664A79C_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.9d19652d57b0687dd41ea12e54966007.jpeg.f4c5ea41cbfb70f4128fea99e0978f99.jpeg

I think that will depend on the IPMI setup won't it? I don't recall seeing that but I can check with my DSM6 setup that i've just gone back to in the interim (my backup NAS is replacing a disk so I'm not messing with DSM7 again until that's safely done).

I normally can see the Supermicro logo and boot menu option as NAS posts. I expect the disk info should follow after that. 

Edited by mgrobins

3 hours ago, mgrobins said:

I think that will depend on the IPMI setup won't it? I don't recall seeing that but I can check with my DSM6 setup that i've just gone back to in the interim (my backup NAS is replacing a disk so I'm not messing with DSM7 again until that's safely done).

I normally can see the Supermicro logo and boot menu option as NAS posts. I expect the disk info should follow after that. 

My guess is that if you can't see the LSI MPT2 SAS BIOS boot screen, nothing is clear.
I also saw that screen in MOBO with IPMI, but it is a screen that can be checked regardless of IPMI.
Again and again, the storage option within the BIOS must be switched to Legacy before you can see this screen.

There is another reason to emphasize this screen.
I have experienced several times that the HBA sometimes fails to find all the disks or gives a partition error when the storage option is used as UEFI.
This legacy MPT2 SAS BIOS boot screen also has the effect of giving the controller more timing to make sure the disk is found.

Backup in DSM 6 seems to be more important, but when everything is ready and you decide to use DSM 7, it would be good to ask again.

Edited by Peter Suh

40 minutes ago, Peter Suh said:

My guess is that if you can't see the LSI MPT2 SAS BIOS boot screen, nothing is clear.
I also saw that screen in MOBO with IPMI, but it is a screen that can be checked regardless of IPMI.
Again and again, the storage option within the BIOS must be switched to Legacy before you can see this screen.

There is another reason to emphasize this screen.
I have experienced several times that the HBA sometimes fails to find all the disks or gives a partition error when the storage option is used as UEFI.
This legacy MPT2 SAS BIOS boot screen also has the effect of giving the controller more timing to make sure the disk is found.

Backup in DSM 6 seems to be more important, but when everything is ready and you decide to use DSM 7, it would be good to ask again.

Once the disk is repaired I'll be back onto this :). I'm becoming more stubborn about getting it working!

Settings are definitely all Legacy. No UEFI state for any bios components. 

I can't recall how to access the bios for the HBA either to check if I have staggered spinup or other settings checked. I may have done that by putting it in one of my PCs back when i set it up, then moved it to my NAS.

I did reconfirm that with my DSM6 build the HBA is recognising all of my disks and behaving correctly. 
I've also seen the issue of spin up time and drive recognition being a problem in some servers or NAS. Insufficient time being allowed and thus drives not being registered in correct sequence or kicking out an error.

On 7/31/2022 at 1:32 PM, Peter Suh said:

If only HBA is used, the sataportmap in user_config.json is ignored no matter what value is set.

You need to check once again whether the HBA's mpt3sas ext is operating correctly.
ll *load/c*/e*

The screen that no discs are found is probably junior, which is the DSM installation stage.

cat /var/log/*rc*

ls -l /sys/block

ls -l /dev/syno*

Where should I run these commands to check - in the tiny pill console environment or after I attempt to boot and have DSM install (is there even a console to access then?)

On 8/3/2022 at 9:41 PM, Peter Suh said:

It can be done in any web browser.

Hi Peter,

I'm not sure what you mean, the how/when to open console to run the commands.

I've been distracted for a bit but will spend some time today on this project again and hopefully get it running properly :)

4 hours ago, mgrobins said:

Hi Peter,

I'm not sure what you mean, the how/when to open console to run the commands.

I've been distracted for a bit but will spend some time today on this project again and hopefully get it running properly :)

Not through a terminal or console like putty.
I will show you an example of accessing through Safari on Mac.

2022-08-12-2-40-07.png

On 8/3/2022 at 9:41 PM, Peter Suh said:

It can be done in any web browser.

Hi Peter, just to confirm on manual vs auto build.

I did ./rploader.sh listmods xxxx

Then ./rploader.sh ext xxxx add http://.../mpt3sas 

Does this download all of the required drivers ready for when I use ./rploader.sh manual xxxx   ?

I ran as manual and can confirm the mpt3sas driver is installed and listed as "ok". 

THat seems to be a start at least knowing the boot loader is picking it up.

It seems that something is getting more and more complicated.

It would be better to simply use the M shell I developed.

It simply creates serial and automatically maps PID/VID.
Not only Mac1 but also Mac2 have all the functions to find and insert realmac.

Execute the build with the command below, and attach all logs displayed on the console during the build process using spoilers.

curl --location "https://github.com/PeterSuh-Q3/tinycore-redpill/raw/main/my.sh.gz" -O; tar -zxvf my.sh.gz;

./rploader.sh clean
./my.sh DS3622xs+J realmac noclean

Edited by Peter Suh

2 hours ago, Peter Suh said:

It seems that something is getting more and more complicated.

It would be better to simply use the M shell I developed.

It simply creates serial and automatically maps PID/VID.
Not only Mac1 but also Mac2 have all the functions to find and insert realmac.

Execute the build with the command below, and attach all logs displayed on the console during the build process using spoilers.

curl --location "https://github.com/PeterSuh-Q3/tinycore-redpill/raw/main/my.sh.gz" -O; tar -zxvf my.sh.gz;

./rploader.sh clean
./my.sh DS3622xs+J realmac noclean

Can't untar  my.sh.gz  and have error not in gzip format? "Child returned status 1"

Edited by mgrobins

On 8/12/2022 at 11:19 PM, Peter Suh said:

As you can see in the capture, there is no problem with untar.
Are you using the root account?
If not, I suspect there is a problem with the Tinycore Linux image itself.

2022-08-12-10-16-13.png

when I use wget first it works :).

Over weekend with site down I couldn't access your instructions in full so I'll have another go using your my.sh build :) . I did work out a couple of things though with many hours of effort.

1. DS3617xs - I still get to the same stage and outcome... drives not found on HBA, and if I do install with HBA removed and 1 drive on SATA it says I have 11 or 12 drives (changes depending on which sata port I use), and seems to install but on boot just goes back to "Not Installed".

2. DS3622xs+  :  I cannot get any combination of this loader to boot properly. It seems IP is registered... but it gets stuck at the first point of "Building kernel.....". 

I have tried this weekend removing the HBA and just using the motherboard SATA ports. 

This is frustrating as I  have seen another user here listing successful install with my motherboard and HBA. I PM'd them but have no reply on what they used as their process and sata/disk ID etc.

Edited by mgrobins

On 7/31/2022 at 1:32 PM, Peter Suh said:

ll *load/c*/e*

cat /var/log/*rc*

ls -l /sys/block

ls -l /dev/syno*

I have gotten to the install page for DSM using DS3617xs 

I cannot access Junior console using these commands.    192.168.1.141:7681    gives me page not found.

Even TTYD (redpill-misc) may not work due to some error.

I think you should check it step by step starting from the TC's loader build stage.

DS3617xs built with my my.sh ?

If so, do not reboot yet, and use the following two commands in TC Linux.
I want to know which ext is being installed and the contents of user_config.json first.

Please capture the execution result of the 3 commands below and tell us.

tc@box:~$ ll

tc@box:~$ ll *load/c*/e*

tc@box:~$ cat user_config.json