XPEnology Community

I want to replace the CPU

JNAS

1 hour ago, JNAS said:

I am currently running 3622xs+
MB h81m-p33 + G3220 + 4 gb ram.
I want to replace the CPU with Intel Xeon E3-1265L v3.
My question is if I replace the CPU do I have to reinstall XPEnology?

usually limits with DSM are about cpu gen's like min 4th gen for 918+, with just the cpu its usually about two possible gen's (intel, tick-tock), 2nd and 3rd was for one socket/chipset so even when downgrading the cpu one gen with the same board its not possible to make things not work (you cant downgrade below 4th gen with just a cpu swap)

one of the pitfalls can be the number of supported cpu cores (including HT), when having more "threads" then the max cpu in the kernel then it will "cut off" whats behind the max. cpu and its usually a real cpu core and after that a "HT virtual" core and those HT "virtual cores" only have ~25% of a real core

in your case its only 8 threads and the 3622 has max. 24 threads (https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/61634-dsm-7x-loaders-and-platforms/)

but that's "only" about the cpu performance

3 минуты назад, IG-88 сказал:

обычно ограничения с DSM связаны с поколением процессоров, например, с минимальным 4-м поколением для 918+, только с процессором обычно около двух возможных поколений (intel, тик-так), 2-й и 3-й были для одного сокета / чипсета, поэтому даже при понижении версии процессора gen с той же платой невозможно заставить что-то не работать (вы не можете понизить версию ниже 4-го поколения, просто заменив процессор)

одной из ловушек может быть количество поддерживаемых ядер процессора (включая HT), когда в ядре больше «потоков», чем максимальный процессор, тогда он «отрежет» то, что находится за максимальным. процессор и его обычно настоящее ядро процессора, а затем «виртуальное ядро HT» и эти «виртуальные ядра» HT имеют только ~ 25% реального ядра.

в вашем случае всего 8 потоков, а у 3622 макс. 24 темы ( https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/61634-dsm-7x-loaders-and-platforms/ )

но это "только" о производительности процессора

Thank you! So it is better to reinstall so that all cores would be visible?

2 минуты назад, flyride сказал:

Reinstalling doesn't enable more cores.  You already are running a platform with the most supported threads

I meant for DSM to see all the cores of the new CPU, for this.

• 3 months later...