XPEnology Community

Dual Xeon 8 core CPU's for a XPenology Beast. Will it work?

Johnvid

Hi there,

I know many people will find this toooo much power for a NAS but let me explain myself.

At the moment I am running my XPenology on this:

Intel i5 2500K

8GB Memory

10Gb NIC

5 X 4TB SHR Seagate NAS

But I also use this NAS as a Plex Server for multiple clients. This is installed with Synology packages. Up to 10 users at the same time use this Plex server. Some thru the internet and some local. This old system does only support a few users at the same time if they all need transcoding.

So I need more power to ensure no CPU bottlenecks....

This is what I am planning to build:

Dual Xeon E2680 or E2690 (8 core) CPU's

16GB Memory

10Gb NIC

5 X 4TB SHR Seagate NAS

But now my worries:

1. Can XPenology handle Dual CPU's?

2. Are there any other bottlenecks?

I want to install this bearmetal and upload speed is no problem.

Anyone has the answers for me?

8 core max, does not matter how many sockets.

Cores beyond 8 will be disabled. Suggest vm solution for that hardware.

Thanks for your quick reply.

Wil all 16 cores be used for XPenology if I use VM and can I assign physical drives to a VM? Because I want to use SHR and still be able to expand my volume by adding extra HDD's.

Which vm is the best for this? Unraid?

My suggestion would be to have 2 separate VM's, one for your local users & another for your internet users, that way you can maximise the number of CPU's each instance can see & get the best transcoding performance for all users.

what bglf83 means is this

Setup a hypervisor on your hardware (KVM, ESXi etc). Xpenology is a NAS VM, low memory, low CPU. Use Win7 (just an example) as a Flex Server VM. This one can use all the CPU power you have.

An alternative is install Ubuntu (or any Linux really) on your hardware. Within Ubuntu, setup a Xpenology VM (via KVM). Flex is installed on the main Ubunto.

I would advise against running a heavily utilized app onto the Xpenology DSM. That just makes it hard to figure out where the issue is when something goes wrong.

If the installation of linux is to difficult, you can also install Windows Server (2012R2 or 2016) and enable the Hyper-V Role. Install Plex on the windows server. In my expercience the windows desktop clients perform poorly when virtualised. (even with the vmware tools or other integration tools installed)

Link the disks you want to store your movies on, to a new VM and install XPEnology in this VM.

In XPEnology, create a share and let Plex use these files.

This way you have the most performance for plex transcoding and if you want, you can run DSM baremetal if the system doesn't work like you want it to. (note, you cant passthrough usb sticks to a hyper-v vm.)

Another solution is to have 2 machines

Let your xpenology work everything except Plex server and use another machine with windows/linux and install Plex there. So you can use xpenology as a true NAS and use all the power of the dual xeon to transcode.

About the dual xeon I'm not sure if it would be better than an i7 with a really good graphic card. With the same money as a dual xeon + registered memory + motherboard + fast ssd, you can get the most powerful i7 with more quantity of RAM and a couple of ssd in raid or a really fast pci-ssd