XPEnology Community

Adaptec RAID 31205 (AACRAID Module)

AlienX

XPEnology/Synology dudes:

I have a RAID card, it is the Adaptec RAID 31205 (http://storage.microsemi.com/en-us/supp ... sas-31205/).

When the bootloader boots, i see it load the AACRAID module, the LED's on the HDD's and controller blink as the card is initializing, but then the card crashes (three LED's blink each second, which means "Hardware Error")

Does the AACRAID module that comes with xpenology only work with certain Adaptec RAID cards?

I also attempted to download the drivers source code and use ipkg plus the make command to re-make the aacraid module files, but when running "make" inside the drivers source code folder it just says there are no tasks to preform.

Any help would be great, thank you.

* Edit *

On a side note, i just seen that i might be able to use Raw Device Mappings in ESXi, i would rather let the VM have control over the controller itself - should i just try RDM?

Okay so, I will post my findings here in case anyone else has a similar adapter and wants to know how to make it work with RDMs

I gave up in the end trying to get the driver to compile for the Synology box, I started to work on getting a different Adaptec RAID controller that i had lying around working (it's a 5 series, instead of the 3 series i was trying before)

Using the previous controller i created 12 RAID 0 volumes with 1 disk (kinda to emulate JBOD) because i wanted to use SHR in Synology as i had different sized disks, but later found that your RAID controller must expose a certain SCSI operator in order for VMWare to use the disks as Raw Device Maps... Adaptec cards do not do this.

The 5 series controller was slightly newer, after applying the latest update I was able to create JBODs directly on the controller which emulated in VMWare as bog-standard IDE disks.

Once that was done, i was able to create the RDM using the usual vmkfstools -z command in VMWare 6.0.

I added all of my 12 disks to the Synology to find that one of the disks would not show, after some troubleshooting i noticed that the default amount of disks for a Synology from XPEnology was 12. the boot disk is a SCSI disk too, thus 12+1boot = 13, too many disks...

I found out that i could change the Synology to have as many disk bays as i wanted, i opted for 24 bays as a good solution and sorted that out via the binary calcs below:

usb = 1100 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000

ata = 0011 1111 1100 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000

ipor= 0000 0000 0011 1111 1111 1111 1111 1111 1100

I updated my config file after converting that back to hex, rebooted the box and all of my disks are visible now.