XPEnology Community

Need Help With Supported Hardware Requirements For DSM 7.1.x

goodone007

Question

Dear XPEnology community. I am very new here with NAS and Synology. I am wanting to build my own home NAS with custom hardwires. I love Synology DSM. So planning to use Xpenology because of its UI and reducing cost from custom build.

My target is to setup at least 2Bay nas system with as much low TDP consumption. I will mostly backup photos, videos and may use it for ONVIF cam recording storage (if possible). Want it to hibernate when HDD not using. I have been surfing around the forum to understand a supporting motherboard which I can get from my local market. As not all models are available.

I found this board: ASUS Prime J4005I-C CDC  Will it work for DSM 7.1.x installation?

If I have 4bay Nas case and multiple sata ports for 4bay setup. Can I use 2 HDD on it? or it will be a problem from DSM?

Do I need ecc server ram or normal ram works? 

Any BUS recommendations?

Can I install DSM on SSD or any other drives? and not NAS drives which will be using for backup?

ONVIF cam recording possible with Xpenology?

forgive me if I asked any stupid questions. As I said I am very new with this. So I hope someone will help me out and I can setup my dream nas.

Edited by goodone007

3 answers to this question

2 hours ago, goodone007 said:

Dear XPEnology community. I am very new here with NAS and Synology. I am wanting to build my own home NAS with custom hardwires. I love Synology DSM. So planning to use Xpenology because of its UI and reducing cost from custom build.

My target is to setup at least 2Bay nas system with as much low TDP consumption. I will mostly backup photos, videos and may use it for ONVIF cam recording storage (if possible). Want it to hibernate when HDD not using. I have been surfing around the forum to understand a supporting motherboard which I can get from my local market. As not all models are available.

I found this board: ASUS Prime J4005I-C CDC  Will it work for DSM 7.1.x installation?

If I have 4bay Nas case and multiple sata ports for 4bay setup. Can I use 2 HDD on it? or it will be a problem from DSM?

Do I need ecc server ram or normal ram works? 

Any BUS recommendations?

Can I install DSM on SSD or any other drives? and not NAS drives which will be using for backup?

ONVIF cam recording possible with Xpenology?

forgive me if I asked any stupid questions. As I said I am very new with this. So I hope someone will help me out and I can setup my dream nas.

That board will will work.

The amount of drive you have does not affect how the NAS works.. you NEED at least one drive.

You don't need server memory, regular desktop RAM will work for that motherboard.

You can only boot from SATA if you have a virtual environment. For baremetal, you need to boot from USB.

You can try to install DVA1622 if you want a dedicated surveillance unit, and have 8 camera licenses.

If you install Surveillance Station on another platform (3622,918 etc..) you can record ONVIF camera and most popular brands, but only 2 licenses.

Hope this helps

• Like 1

On 7/22/2022 at 10:06 PM, rojoone2 said:

That board will will work.

The amount of drive you have does not affect how the NAS works.. you NEED at least one drive.

You don't need server memory, regular desktop RAM will work for that motherboard.

You can only boot from SATA if you have a virtual environment. For baremetal, you need to boot from USB.

You can try to install DVA1622 if you want a dedicated surveillance unit, and have 8 camera licenses.

If you install Surveillance Station on another platform (3622,918 etc..) you can record ONVIF camera and most popular brands, but only 2 licenses.

Hope this helps

Thank you very much. That really helps. I have a final question. If I do not use J series board with processor. and go for G series processor Skylake. Can I use any of these processor which I already have? Intel Celeron G3900 / Intel Pentium Processor G4400 , with a H110 mini itx board.