XPEnology Community

RS4021xs+ loader development thread

On 8/4/2022 at 5:30 PM, Rebutia said:

As an enterprise product, do you find RS4021xs+ strictly implement HDD compatibility check? That is, not listed in their compatibility list means it cannot be used?

https://www.synology.com/en-us/compatibility?search_by=products&model=RS4021xs%2B&category=hdds_no_ssd_trim&p=1&change_log_p=1

From review: 

We also checked what happens if you use uncertified drives and fitted four 14TB WD Red Pro drives. The DSM Storage Manager allowed us to create RAID arrays, storage pools and volumes but warned that the appliance was in danger as all drives were unverified and wouldn’t provide any SMART status information either.

Synology RackStation RS4021xs+ - SIMPLY.REVIEWS

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Peter Suh said:

I found the cause of Jun Mode not working late.
It was impossible to build the loader due to a typo during coding.
Now the problem has been resolved and you can use it.

Release Jun Mode.

./my.sh RS4021xs+J

Good find :) 

I am sorry if this has been covered before, but what are the differences/advantages of using Jun/Jot? 

Good find [emoji4] 

I am sorry if this has been covered before, but what are the differences/advantages of using Jun/Jot? 

Jot Mode is an existing method that has existed since Redpill was first developed.
In case of automatic update through DSM, booting with DSM may not be possible. So, the url that can be partially updated is blocked internally.

Jun Mode is the opposite.
Internet connection is always available and there is no problem with automatic updates from within DSM. So, from the beginning, I connected the url for update internally to Synology.

To explain more about jun mode,
Do you know the jun loader used in the past DSM 6?
This jun loader was not affected by kernel panic or other OS hangs even when the revision of DSM was updated.
There was a trick to trick the revision,
In the present DSM7, it is also called Jun's Old Trick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Thanks 1

Synology have not been overly clear with people about their new policy on drive compatibility and what services will be restricted (eg SMART data). 

I can live with a PSU warning... but being locked out of necessary drive management tools is a deal breaker. 

I'll do some hunting around and try to find the current options necessary to work around it. It may be something worth building into the community offerings here.

I guess most people will be fine with the retail versions - DS3622 being the largest. No compatibility restrictions and up to 12 disks.

I think a lot of NAS owners go and buy a few of the biggest disks they can and think they are proof against loss :P . 

Edited by mgrobins

1 hour ago, mgrobins said:

I guess most people will be fine with the retail versions - DS3622 being the largest. No compatibility restrictions and up to 12 disks.

I think a lot of NAS owners go and buy a few of the biggest disks they can and think they are proof against loss :P . 

as apposed to what exactly?

(and the max disk is 16 btw on 3622, but I think on any? only difference being the graphics. I run a 918 on a 5 bay too)

{
  "extra_cmdline": {
    "pid": "pid",
    "vid": "vid",
    "sn": "serial",
    "mac1": "mac",
    "SataPortMap": "6",
    "DiskIdxMap": "00"
  },
  "synoinfo": {

"internalportcfg" : "0xffff",
          "maxdisks" : "16",
	      "support_bde_internal_10g" : "no",
	      "support_disk_compatibility" : "no",
          "support_memory_compatibility" : "no"

},
  "ramdisk_copy": {

}

}

The number of disk bay images shown in Disk Manager within DSM is the number of bays for genuine Synology models.

XPE has no such physical limitations.

The reason why I recommended DS4021xs+ is because I wanted to express yourself nicely with 16 bays.

As the phone guy said, XPE allows you to mount more disks with user_config.json settings beyond that.

18 minutes ago, Peter Suh said:

The number of disk bay images shown in Disk Manager within DSM is the number of bays for genuine Synology models.

XPE has no such physical limitations.

The reason why I recommended DS4021xs+ is because I wanted to express yourself nicely with 16 bays.

As the phone guy said, XPE allows you to mount more disks with user_config.json settings beyond that.

yeah Im aware of that; also the flexibility of using the config settings to use what you want. 

I think phone guy missed the point I was making. Most people won't have to worry about the GUI not matching their physical disks. 
(Many people also consider a RAID array to be safe backup, or have no appreciation of the risks with rebuilds and disk failure... another point I was alluding to with the remarks about using only a few large disks). 

14 hours ago, mgrobins said:

yeah Im aware of that; also the flexibility of using the config settings to use what you want. 

I think phone guy missed the point I was making. Most people won't have to worry about the GUI not matching their physical disks. 
(Many people also consider a RAID array to be safe backup, or have no appreciation of the risks with rebuilds and disk failure... another point I was alluding to with the remarks about using only a few large disks). 

previous quote: I think a lot of NAS owners go and buy a few of the biggest disks they can and think they are proof against loss :P . 

Again I'll ask, as opposed to what? I mean a nas, a raid array, a shr array, is a collection of disks with or without parity.  You either use a mirror, or 1 or 2 drive parity, either 2 hdds or 16 disks. I am not missing the point, or maybe I am? but you are missing my question...which is what other options are there?  Having 16 disks only improves iops over say 4 disks. not "proof against loss".

afaik besides the graphic, I see no difference between platforms (except quicksync maybe, and lsi card compatibility).  I am happy to see the other models being offered by @Peter Suh and thankful to him for developing them, I am trying to establish what other safety against loss one model/platform offers over another?  I personally am running a 3 copies of data (main unit on shr1 with 2 backups to two other nas devices as hb and fsync + snap-reps, so 3 copies of data)

2 hours ago, phone guy said:

Again I'll ask, as opposed to what? I mean a nas, a raid array, a shr array, is a collection of disks with or without parity.  You either use a mirror, or 1 or 2 drive parity, either 2 hdds or 16 disks. I am not missing the point, or maybe I am? but you are missing my question...which is what other options are there?  Having 16 disks only improves iops over say 4 disks. not "proof against loss".

afaik besides the graphic, I see no difference between platforms (except quicksync maybe, and lsi card compatibility).  I am happy to see the other models being offered by @Peter Suh and thankful to him for developing them, I am trying to establish what other safety against loss one model/platform offers over another?  I personally am running a 3 copies of data (main unit on shr1 with 2 backups to two other nas devices as hb and fsync + snap-reps, so 3 copies of data)

We are talking about different topics.

I'm speaking about potential for catastrophic data loss - which is present in all of the system types. I was remarking about this because not many individuals at home will have large arrays (thus the RS4021 build won't be in high demand), and often don't build arrays based on reliability data... just what they want to use. Today that often means a few very large disks instead of more small disks.

The opportunity for failure on a per disk basis is non linear. Larger drives are more at risk of an issue during rebuild (the part of failure risk that most people seem to be uninformed about when talking RAID). 

You are clearly backing your data up in a fashion that covers the hardware and disk risks. Perhaps that seems common sense to you but amongst many people it's not. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

first of all apologize if my english is not very good,
I have mounted the dsm 7.1 on an intel hardware:
supermicro x10sdv-tp8f motherboard (intel xeon d-1518, 8cores,6 LAN 1GB, 2 LAN 10GB)
16ram ddr ecc,
hba lsi 3008 controller
2u box from the manufacturer chembro sas/sata with 14 disks, 2 power supplies

I installed the installation version of (velabenuto) v0.5-alfa1, I followed all the configuration steps and selected the version for RS4021xs+, which is the most similar hardware I have for that version
It has really been installed without any let's say serious problem ;)
detects disks (but not in correct order), says one power supply fails (both power supplies work fine)
I attach screenshots and photos
I would like to be able to organize the hard drives correctly
the hba controller has all the front drives connected to it, and the rear small drive is connected to the sata controller on the motherboard ,thanks😁

pantalla1.jpg

pantalla2.jpg

pantalla3.jpg

pantalla4.jpg

pantalla5.jpg

detras.jpg

frontal.jpg

centro de informacion.jpg

dsm version.jpg

fotodiscos.jpg

fotodiscos2.jpg

lan.jpg

10 hours ago, jurgenautt said:

first of all apologize if my english is not very good,
I have mounted the dsm 7.1 on an intel hardware:
supermicro x10sdv-tp8f motherboard (intel xeon d-1518, 8cores,6 LAN 1GB, 2 LAN 10GB)
16ram ddr ecc,
hba lsi 3008 controller
2u box from the manufacturer chembro sas/sata with 14 disks, 2 power supplies

I installed the installation version of (velabenuto) v0.5-alfa1, I followed all the configuration steps and selected the version for RS4021xs+, which is the most similar hardware I have for that version
It has really been installed without any let's say serious problem ;)
detects disks (but not in correct order), says one power supply fails (both power supplies work fine)
I attach screenshots and photos
I would like to be able to organize the hard drives correctly
the hba controller has all the front drives connected to it, and the rear small drive is connected to the sata controller on the motherboard ,thanks😁

pantalla1.jpg

pantalla2.jpg

pantalla3.jpg

pantalla4.jpg

pantalla5.jpg

detras.jpg

frontal.jpg

centro de informacion.jpg

dsm version.jpg

fotodiscos.jpg

fotodiscos2.jpg

lan.jpg

If you want to reorder disks with ARPL
I think you should inquire about the APRL topic.

It supports RS4021xs+ for TCRP or M SHELL.

If you want to get rid of the power warning, you should give up the RS4021xs+ for now.

The 12-bay RS3618xs has only 1 power source, so this warning does not appear.

The difference between the two models is that the platforms are Broadwell nk and Broadwell.

RS3618xs does not seem to have any problem with HBA support.

I don't know what ARPL is doing for the Intel 10Gbps NIC extension driver in Broadwell nk, but there was an issue originally.

But Broadwell doesn't have this issue.

Are your LAN 6 and LAN 8 possibly Intel 10Gbps NIC ports?

8 minutes ago, jurgenautt said:

hello, ok sorry if this is not the place where I had to ask about the doubts I had about my installation, yes network cards 6 and 8 are 10gb that are not connected yet, when I have more time I will start it up. thanks

If I had some knowledge of the ARPL loader, I could have been able to help, but I'm sorry I don't.

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, AngryPapa said:

Hello everyone, I've run into a problem. E10G21-F2 network card does not work. Not visible in dsm

What loader did you use?
Did you build with ./my.sh RS4021xs+ ?

In the case of Broadwell nk platforms such as RS4021xs+, the m shell has a process to avoid conflicts between the igbxe driver and the built-in vanilla igbxe driver.

E10G21-F2 is the same as the OEM version of X710-DA2.
The linux extension driver of X710-DA2 uses i40e.

With the already built-in i40e's vanilla driver included
If the TCRP duplicates the auto-discovered i40e, a conflict is expected.

The same phenomenon was confirmed in the case of igbxe, which is an Intel 10G nic in the past.

If symptoms are clearly confirmed through log analysis
I will adjust the m shell script to avoid conflicts between the vanilla driver and the auto-detected driver.

Could you please submit the log to me?

E10G21-F2 cannot be assigned an IP, so a separate nic that can be assigned an IP must be running.

How to extract the log is as follows.

If you can access the DSM installation request screen with ttyd as below,
Then send me the log with the command you see.
You must use a web browser.

http://<youripaddr>:7681/

id : root / pw : ( no password )

ls -l /exts

cat /var/log/*rc*

32 minutes ago, AngryPapa said:

Thanks for the quick response. I am using ARPL. Using ARPL can I download the installation log?

I'm not exactly sure how ARPL embeds the entire driver into the loader and automatically detects and loads the device.

If it's TCRP, I can help.

I can ask @fabio to find the problem first in TCRP and then fix the same problem in ARPL later.

RS4021xs+ started from my M SHELL and later ported to ARPL.

In ARPL, the TTYD port is opened only when the loader is built, so if you want to monitor JUNIOR, you can open the TELNET port as shown below.

http://[your ip]:5000/webman/start_telnet.cgi

You can check the same log of APRL by connecting with telnet instead of TTYD.
But APRL doesn't have /exts .

I would like you to build and monitor loaders via M SHELL whenever possible.
I look forward to your choice.

10 minutes ago, AngryPapa said:

It would be nice, I also checked the installation of DS3617XS. The problem is still there.

So what would you like to do?

According to this compatibility list
It is possible that most XPE models with the exception of DS918+ / DS920+ include vanilla drivers.

Would you like to build a DS918+?

402117521_2022-11-084_29_04.thumb.png.e6f455941cc07270b1e7532c3b36bfdd.png

Edited by Peter Suh

9 minutes ago, AngryPapa said:

My server has 16 hdd bays. Maybe there is a way to start with my network card, or is it better to buy some other one?

Just wondering if your nic will work on an i40e, so I suggest you try the DS918+.
DS918+ is not enough to represent all 16-bay disks.
Can't you just try it first?