XPEnology Community

Gigabyte Z590 - 3 NVME but 5 SATA instead of 6. Getting "Detected 6 ports/1 drives. Bad ports: 1"

wessu

I'm trying to setup a DS918+ but my Gigabyte motherboard has 5 SATA instead of 6 as one is dedicated to an NVME. I'm getting this error message. I was able to install successfully but I'm concerned that in the future this port might cause an issue. Any idea on how to resolve this?

tc@box:~$ ./rploader.sh satamap

Found "00:17.0 Intel Corporation Device 43d2 (rev 11)"
Detected 6 ports/1 drives. Bad ports: 1. Override # of ports or ENTER to accept <6> 6

Computed settings:
SataPortMap=6
DiskIdxMap=00

WARNING: Bad ports are mapped. The DSM installation will fail!

• 11 months later...
15 minutes ago, cqoute said:

@wessu Are you able to confirm if you're using the Gigabyte Z590 GAMING X variant and if so how did it go with getting it setup and working. I'm looking at an alternative for my current MSI board that I've had no luck getting it to work.

Where are you stuck with your MSI board? What is the motherboard you are using? pretty much my experience is that everything works. Intel or AMD. Let me know where you are stuck and I will do my best to help you.

MSI MAG B560M MORTAR WIFI. I've installed Xpenology on 4 different boards previously, all working flawlessly. This board just seems to be an issue for some reason which I honestly though wouldn't. As reference, the following thread shows issues aswell.

I've tried alot of bios settings and even disabled the integrated LAN and used a USB instead and still no go. I've tried each DSM variant and No matter what, I get stuck/hang on Booting.

Quick question. When you boot your Xpenology machine. Plug it using the ethernet cable to your router. Do you see the machine from the router? usually that's how I can tell whether mine is online or not. That's the easiest way. If it is visible on the router but the Synology Assistant does not work then it maybe SATA issues.

Please let me know which I research that motherboard.

RTL8125B 2.5Gbps LAN controller
That's the same one that I got on my board. You will need an additional driver to make it work. The default configuration does not work bro. You have to do extra steps for that 2.5 Gbps network card. Let me research it.

https://github.com/pocopico/rp-ext/tree/main/r8125

That's the one you want to add. Follow the tutorial here.

So depending on your build DS918+ and such

./rploader.sh ext apollolake-7.1.0-42661 add https://github.com/pocopico/rp-ext/tree/main/r8125

I think something like this might work. You just have to change apollolake-7.1.0-42661 to match your build

Try and see. It should pull the driver and add it locally. Although I'm leaning to think this might actually be easier

./rploader.sh listmods apollolake-7.1.0-42661

Change that apollolake-7.1.0-42661 to match your platform. It might automatically add it for you. Afterwards, you build, reboot and your done! Synology Assistant should find it.

The main difference is that 2.5 Gbps LAN is not included by default in the Synology stuff. Most likely your previous motherboards had that 1 Gbps that works out of the box.

Thanks for the help! much appreciated... I didn't think it would've been the network card in general because it works fine with the loader (APRL) and I assumed by other threads that the latest version of the loader includes it (although the info on that chipset is very spotty). I'll give it a go and try with the other loader with your recommended commands

That's a no go... Only at one point I got a glimps of hope but to only end up being more frustrated. At first it didn't work (I will also note that the names are <model-name>-<version>-<subversion> eg. ds918p-7.1.0-42661 so the write up had to be adjusted for that naming scheme...

At one point I got to the install page which I installed the DSM pat file (yes i used the correct one and it's over 300mb). After install the system rebooted and since then I could not find it with assistant. I have then gone back and redid everything and I can't even get back to the install page. I've changed settings left and right in bios and to rule out the NIC, I disabled it altogether and now using my PCIe Asus Intel 10GB card and still nothing. The loader found the 10GB card and added the drivers.

Right now I still can't find it through Assistant yet I can see it in my router (I have also gone directly to the ip address with ports 5000 etc). What frustrates me the most is lack of debugging output.

Edited by cqoute

11 hours ago, cqoute said:

That's a no go... Only at one point I got a glimps of hope but to only end up being more frustrated. At first it didn't work (I will also note that the names are <model-name>-<version>-<subversion> eg. ds918p-7.1.0-42661 so the write up had to be adjusted for that naming scheme...

At one point I got to the install page which I installed the DSM pat file (yes i used the correct one and it's over 300mb). After install the system rebooted and since then I could not find it with assistant. I have then gone back and redid everything and I can't even get back to the install page. I've changed settings left and right in bios and to rule out the NIC, I disabled it altogether and now using my PCIe Asus Intel 10GB card and still nothing. The loader found the 10GB card and added the drivers.

Right now I still can't find it through Assistant yet I can see it in my router (I have also gone directly to the ip address with ports 5000 etc). What frustrates me the most is lack of debugging output.

Interesting. Try the following: use a different browser to install the .pat file. For me switching between Firefox and Chrome did the trick. Somehow I think it had to do with the stored cache and cookies.

Make sure you are using the correct serial number for the machine you are trying to install. I'm sure you did that but double check.

Also what you can try is to put the SATA drive on a different port on the motherboard. For my case, one of the SATA ports is attached to the NVME slot. So try that as well.

11 hours ago, cqoute said:

Sometimes the IP address changes after the installation. Check the router page for that. I'm using the Synology Assistant application on Windows for this stuff. It is a lot better than the web version.

https://www.synology.com/en-id/support/download/DS918+

I appreciate your continued support! but it got to the point I had enough, so I pulled out my daughters TUF GAMING B560M-PLUS which pretty much worked off the bat. Got both DS920+ working (using aplr) and DS918+ (using tcrp)... the only thing missing is no /dev/dri on a i3-10105, if I can't get it to use transcoding (Jellyfin is all I care about,couldn't care less for Video Station) then it's maybe something i'll have to sacrifice. I've settled on DS918+ DSM 7.1.1-42962 Update 1 and making making sure things stay running smoothly. In the mean time, I've purchased another one of these board so my daughter can get her computer back lol.

The whole reason behind getting new hardware and 3 12TB hdd's is because my 6x3TB was filling up and I wanted a smooth transition and way to copy from the 6 drive on 3 12TB's without downtime. There also wasn't really a viable way to transfer the files without a second system either.

The worst part of this is spending 250AUD on a motherbord (MSI) thats now going straight to storage.

Edited by cqoute