XPEnology Community

RAID Controller for XPenology?

Konfl1kt

The point of DSM is to provide RAID via software.  It adds many features that "hardware" RAID cannot provide, such as self-healing with integration with btrfs, and RAID modes that are not possible with hardware, such as RAIDF1.

So you should be looking for AHCI-compliant controllers to connect your disks.  Some HBAs can do this (aka "IT" mode).  Simple SATA controllers can do it as well.

13 minutes ago, flyride said:

So you should be looking for AHCI-compliant controllers to connect your disks.  Some HBAs can do this (aka "IT" mode).  Simple SATA controllers can do it as well.

Thanks a lot for your answer.

The biggest question is which one will work with my MB? (I mean drivers, as I understand not every controller will work because of that) Will ASR-7805 work?

Also, still not clear for me (I am sorry for my ignorance) can my MB handle software RAID 6 if integrated controller doesn't support it?

My MB has 6 SATA ports.

Edited by Konfl1kt
Added extra info.

It isn't a matter of software RAID working with the motherboard.  The OS is providing the RAID.  You don't want the controllers, or the BIOS to be doing it.

A motherboard with 6 AHCI compliant ports is a good base for DSM.  If you add additional ports with an AHCI-compliant controller, no drivers are required.  The ASR-7805 will likely require drivers as it is a host bus adapter.  HBAs are usually quite a bit more expensive than plain AHCI SATA controllers.  

Look for @IG-88's threads on good AHCI controller options for something to start with, unless you really need 24 ports or whatever you will get from an HBA.

• Like 1