XPEnology Community

Should I upgrade to 7.1? (From 1.03b + DSM 6.2)

Konfl1kt

Hi guys,
I built my NAS in 2019, and it still runs with the same jun loader and DSM version. Never update it.
I have 2x4TB RAID 1, and I plan to upgrade hard drives. I have three slots left in my NAS and 4x4TB hard drives. Currently, think about RAID 5 or other options.
This is a noob lounge, and I want to ask your opinion. Should I bother and update to 7.1? (is it possible with my config?) It's worth it?

Thanks a lot!

• 2 weeks later...

I would say that if your 6.2 NAS is serving your purpose(s), don't bother upgrading at this point.  I upgraded (actually had to build from scratch) to 7.1 and I'm happy with it... except I am unable to upgrade so I'm kind of stuck as I was with 6.2.  Now others on this forum have been able to upgrade so your setup might also work.  As you search the forum, you'll see the whole gammit... from 1st time success just by following the tutorials...  to trial and error with some success and some failure.   I enyoyed to process of getting to 7.1.. and it is stable for me, but I don't have any confidence on installing any update... Unless I build a new loader each time and migrate.  Any BTW migrating has it's own set of issues (for my setup anyway).  Old MSI 6471 Mobo with older AMD CPU and Realtek NIC.