XPEnology Community

Tutorial: Install/Migrate DSM 5.2 to 6.0.2 (Jun's loader)

Polanskiman

Hi,

I try to migrate DSM6 on my Gen8 Celeron. But i can't get the .pat File installed (it says, its corrupted). I edited the PID / VID according to my stick. What serialnumber do i have to put in? And what Macs? The originals from the Gen8? I am a bit confused.

I used the SN and mac visible on my xpen NAS running 5.2. Before I updated anything, I went to the 5.2 GUI and went to the about or whatever tab, and copied down my existing SN and mac address. The SN will look like "CJ003N000" and the mac is something like 01:02:4F:32:01:02. In the grub.cfg, just replace serial number with your old serial number, and replace mac with your real mac (but omit the colons). Another way to go is use the Synology Assistant app on your computer to find the box; in that UI it will show you the SN and mac address. Or as others have said you can generate a new SN. But I think mac is sort of hard-set on your NIC, you want to use your NIC's actual mac. Another way to find the mac address would be via your router UI: look at the devices on your network, find the one that is the NAS, and note the mac address that way.

Hi,

Followed the instructions but all I get is the

screen will stop updating shortly...

and not:

early consol in decompress_kernel
Decompressing Linux.. Parsing ELF… done.
Booting the kernel.

what am I doing wrong?

Then you haven't read the instructions till the end. I recommend you do so as what you are asking is clearly addressed in the tutorial.

I read it, again, still do not see any info regrading the above.

something else, I enabled my Realtek NIC and now I can find the NAS, which means that the loader does not have drivers

for my Intel 82580 NIC only for Realtek, Posted Here a driver request.

do you know if Marvell 88SE9215 SATA controller driver is also included?

also when I find my NAS I get SATA disabled, I tried SataPortMap=44, I have 4 onboard SATA port and 4 more on a MAREVL expension card, can you help?

I apologise. I misread you. You are not getting the:

early consol in decompress_kernel
Decompressing Linux.. Parsing ELF… done.
Booting the kernel

most probably because you are booting in efi mode. If you were booting the usb drive in legacy (bios) mode you would see those lines. That's nothing to worry about though.

The sata port disabled is due to a problem with your HDD mapping. Try using the Force Install menu entry in the grub boot menu. However I am not sure about the Marvel. Try looking in the main thread which drivers are supported. Trantor and Arcao compiled the modules.

EDIT: I found this in the main thread:

Can anybody confirm if the Marvell 88SE9215 chipset is supported with this loader? I just did a migrate from 5.2 on my 8-disk box and it only sees 4 of my disks. I'm guessing this is a driver that needs to be added in and I jumped the gun. Can anybody confirm this? I've never compiled a driver so if anybody has any tips or guides on what, if anything, I can do I would greatly appreciate it!

Marvell 88SE9235 is working fine, take care you've to update the .cfg file in order to support number of disks you've connected :idea:

Also make sure you are using AHCI and not IDE.

Edited by Guest

hello

i have create a disk ide to boot itu proxmox and after begin upgrade i have this

Note 3: Please check you have the right VID/PID prior proceeding. If you get the following error ”Failed to install the file. The file is probably corrupted. (13)" it means your VID and/or PID is wrong.

i have not a usb stick and vid or pid of my virtual disk ?

thanks

hello

i have create a disk ide to boot itu proxmox and after begin upgrade i have this

Note 3: Please check you have the right VID/PID prior proceeding. If you get the following error ”Failed to install the file. The file is probably corrupted. (13)" it means your VID and/or PID is wrong.

i have not a usb stick and vid or pid of my virtual disk ?

thanks

IDE wont work. You need to use AHCI/SATA.

No need to set pid/vid for VM machines.

Hello

May I ask you something?

-After I upgraded DSM from 5 to 6 my network card (intel x520-t2) dosn't work anymore I can see it in network control panel, but when i pluged cable it stuck. Thanks

The driver for that NIC is most probably not included in the ramdisk. You'll have to wait it gets added or if you know how to compile modules then you could do it yourself.

Hello

May I ask you something?

-After I upgraded DSM from 5 to 6 my network card (intel x520-t2) dosn't work anymore I can see it in network control panel, but when i pluged cable it stuck. Thanks

The driver for that NIC is most probably not included in the ramdisk. You'll have to wait it gets added or if you know how to compile modules then you could do it yourself.

I guess i have to wait, Thanks and DSM 6 was a miracle

EDIT: I found this in the main thread:

Can anybody confirm if the Marvell 88SE9215 chipset is supported with this loader? I just did a migrate from 5.2 on my 8-disk box and it only sees 4 of my disks. I'm guessing this is a driver that needs to be added in and I jumped the gun. Can anybody confirm this? I've never compiled a driver so if anybody has any tips or guides on what, if anything, I can do I would greatly appreciate it!

Marvell 88SE9235 is working fine, take care you've to update the .cfg file in order to support number of disks you've connected :idea:

Also make sure you are using AHCI and not IDE.

Take care that it's valid only for SATA port, I've not successfully enabled eSata ports support ... it suppose to add module/driver, I don't know how to proceed.

Even if the 88SE92xx family eSATA features (incl. Port Multiplier) is well supported by Ubuntu, FreeNAS etc. unfortunatly not by default Synology configuration

i am trying to update my hp n40l with hp p410 sas card and sas drives from 5.2 to 6.0 but it is not seeing the disks (no hard drive found error). Can someone confirm if the jun 1.01 loader has hp p410 support or tell me how to enable it? If hp p410 can someone point me to support SAS cards. I would really like to get mine DS up to 6. thanks!

gsxr said:
sorry but how do i burn image to stick on a mac please

thanks

Download the loader, unzip it and put the image file (synoboot.img) directly on the desktop.

1 - If your flash drive is plugged, unplug it.

2 - Open terminal. Issue the following commands:

cd /
cd ~/Desktop
diskutil list

The last command should bring up the list of your drives. Below is what it shows on mine:

TlMBP:Desktop Tl$ cd /
TlMBP:/ Tl$ cd ~/Desktop
TlMBP:Desktop Tl$ diskutil list
/dev/disk0
  #:                       TYPE NAME                    SIZE       IDENTIFIER
  0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *500.1 GB   disk0
  1:                        EFI EFI                     209.7 MB   disk0s1
  2:          Apple_CoreStorage                         200.3 GB   disk0s2
  3:                 Apple_Boot Recovery HD             650.0 MB   disk0s3
  4:                  Apple_HFS Funky                   298.8 GB   disk0s4
/dev/disk1
  0:                  Apple_HFS Yosemite               *199.9 GB   disk1
                                Logical Volume on disk0s2
                                CC0A6E92-5D3B-4FF8-A35F-ACF567B573CD
                                Unencrypted

Now plug your flash drive and issue the diskutil list command again:

/dev/disk0
/dev/disk1
                                Unencrypted
/dev/disk2
  0:     FDisk_partition_scheme                        *31.0 GB    disk2
  1:                 DOS_FAT_32                         41.1 MB    disk2s1
  2:                 DOS_FAT_32                         49.4 MB    disk2s2

You can see my flash drive (31GB) now with the identifier disk2. Note that your flash drive identifier could be something else (disk3, disk4...) so don't just copy paste.

Now issue the following command:

sudo diskutil unmountDisk /dev/disk2

You might be asked for your password. Here is what I get:

TlMBP:Desktop Tl$ diskutil unmountDisk /dev/disk2
Unmount of all volumes on disk2 was successful

Then issue the following command. Same comment: BE SURE TO USE THE RIGHT IDENTIFIER. There is no turning back on this one. If you mistakenly use the identifier of some other disk, it will overwrite it with the image. SO BE VERY CAREFUL.

sudo dd if=synoboot.img of=/dev/rdisk2 bs=1m

You should see this:

TlMBP:Desktop Tl$ sudo dd if=synoboot.img of=/dev/rdisk2 bs=1m
50+0 records in
50+0 records out

You are done.

If you want to access the content of the drive you have to issue the following commands:

Verify again your flash drive identifier. YES AGAIN. You will need the disk partition identifier this time:

diskutil list
You should get this:
/dev/disk0
/dev/disk1
                                Unencrypted
/dev/disk2
  0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *31.0 GB    disk2
  1:                        EFI NO NAME                 31.5 MB    disk2s1
  2: 0FC63DAF-8483-4772-8E79-3D69D8477DE4               15.7 MB    disk2s2
  3:        Bios Boot Partition                         4.2 MB     disk2s3

Note the EFI NO NAME partition with the identifier disk2s1 of the flash drive. This is the one we want.

If you are on MAC OS El Capitan or earlier then issue the following:

mkdir /Volumes/efi
If you are on MAC OS Sierra then issue the following:
mkdir /tmp/efi
(Since Sierra, /Volumes is no longer world-writeable. One needs to be root to create folders in /Volumes)

Followed by:

If you are on MAC OS El Capitan or earlier then issue the following:

sudo mount -t msdos /dev/disk2s1 /Volumes/efi
or 
If you are on MAC OS Sierra then issue the following
sudo mount -t msdos /dev/disk2s1 /tmp/efi

Your flash drive is now mounted. Edit what you need and eject when done. If you need to mount the flash drive again issue the last 2 commands. Always beware of the disk ID.

Edited by Polanskiman
Edited for MAC OS Sierra compatibility - Thanks @steve23094
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hello,

I'm still desesperetly searching somebody able to help in configuration of eSata (not Sata), assuming it's to connect FIS port multiplier device (a x4 HDD extension storage box with a eSata interface), via the Marvell 88SE92xx ...

Unfortunatly I was not able to find driver, and the way to integrate it for Synology ...

Sucessfully tried with FreeNAS, it seems that the use with DSM have to be the same but no way how to proceed ...

Does somebody have tried to configure ?

Is it possible to integrate in the tutorial a chapter synthesis on external driver integration/toolchain ?

Cheers/Merci.

Hello,

I'm still desesperetly searching somebody able to help in configuration of eSata (not Sata), assuming it's to connect FIS port multiplier device (a x4 HDD extension storage box with a eSata interface), via the Marvell 88SE92xx ...

Unfortunatly I was not able to find driver, and the way to integrate it for Synology ...

Sucessfully tried with FreeNAS, it seems that the use with DSM have to be the same but no way how to proceed ...

Does somebody have tried to configure ?

Is it possible to integrate in the tutorial a chapter synthesis on external driver integration/toolchain ?

Cheers/Merci.

Modules needs to be compiled against DSM's 6.0 source code.

The tutorial is already long enough like it is and source code compilation is an entirely different matter which deserves its own thread. Keep in mind though that compiling external modules is not always as straight forward as compiling modules that are natively compatible with DSM (because added by design by Synology). It might require some tweaking.

Slow as in take about 20 seconds to display GUI screen when enter IP of diskstation and about same again to login.

Server shows not doing any drive maintenance, cpu only running around 25% RAM 35%

any ideas?

Did you update all packages? You could try disabling packages one at a time see if the culprit is a package.

Have you also tried rebooting the machine?

25% when idle? If so that's not normal, but as far as I am aware, updating to DSM 6.0 is not the reason why your machine is slow. By now many people have upgraded to DSM 6.0.2 and I haven't seen any complaint about DSM being slow. Try the above see if it works.

Slow as in take about 20 seconds to display GUI screen when enter IP of diskstation and about same again to login.

Server shows not doing any drive maintenance, cpu only running around 25% RAM 35%

any ideas?

Just to be clear, is the RAM usage at 25-35%, or is the CPU usage at 25-35%? Those are two different things. The first tells you how many programs/daemons etc. are running and the extent to which your memory is being utilized. You would expect memory to be consumed at some relatively fixed percentage once your services are all started up. When your RAM/memory usage starts to exceed a certain threshold (say 80%) the OS will start paging to disk, which will result in the system responding slowly while the paging occurs. 25-35% RAM usage is not out of the ordinary. CPU usage at 25-35% is the amount of CPU cycles being used to execute those services. Again, 25-35% CPU usage is not out of the ordinary especially if the system is starting up. But as others have said, it should idle back to close to 0 CPU soon. You could use the top command or similar GUI utility to determine what services/programs/daemons are consuming CPU cycles. Services such as video services which automatically transcode video from one format to another (if you use a video service) could be consuming resources. You should also consider simple network lag; if your request can't get to the syno box quickly and the response doesn't come back quickly that could be it, you could use ping and tracert commands to make sure your network is efficient. Are you using an internally recognized name such as the IP, or are you using a DDNS name? If you're using a DDNS name then your request may be going out to the public internet and back; try using the ip address of the box (192.168.1.2) instead of the DDNS name (my.synobox.noip.com). Turn off your bittorrent clients. :smile: If the slowness continues after removing some of these potential bottlenecks try turning off any packages/services and see if it helps.

Good afternoon, after doing the installation / migration and restarting I can not find the NAS.

Can this be by NIC drivers? Which I read in the manual.

Can it be solved?

After more than 20 min I already see the NAS.

I tried the update 4 but it does not install it says that the package is corrupt

Login is much slower.

The rest seems fine

A greeting.

Good afternoon, after doing the installation / migration and restarting I can not find the NAS.

Can this be by NIC drivers? Which I read in the manual.

Can it be solved?

After more than 20 min I already see the NAS.

I tried the update 4 but it does not install it says that the package is corrupt

Login is much slower.

The rest seems fine

A greeting.

Are you on a HP54NL? Some people have had a similar issues. Using Arcaos Loader solved the problem. Please try and revert.

Edited by Guest

Hy, at first I want to say thank you to all who are involved to get a working loader and a guide which makes it possible to install the loader.

For me nearly everything works fine except two things:

After installing DSM where I was asked the first time to create a user account and password I used a password with letters and numbers.

Then comes an error message like “It was not possible to change the admin password” and I was not able to access DMS anymore.

My account wasn´t created and the default user “admin” was disabled. So I had no chance to log in.

After cleaning the HDD´s and a new installation I used a password only with letters. This worked fine.

Now I was able to create user accounts, activate root access, and I changed the password to a password with letters, numbers and special characters.

The second thing is that I have a Promise Supertrak EX8760T SAS/S-ATA Raid controller in an ASUS P8H77 mainboard which doesn´t work with the actual loader.

With XPEnoboot 5.2-5967.1 the controller was working fine.

Is there any chance to include the drivers into the actual / next loader?

Thanks to all.