XPEnology Community

How to upgrade from DSM 5.2 to 6.0 - Native (no vm)?

yaaa4

Hi my friends!

Long time ago, I converted a Core 2 Duo to Xpenology natively (no VM). When DSM 5.2 went out, I upgraded it with no problem.

The motherboard is an Intel motherboard so the drivers are the common (i think), so I neverd had problem with it.

I used XPEnoboot_DS3615xs_5.2-5592.2 with an external USB drive and it works well.

So! in all the posts I see in this forum, it is always installed in a VM. Also, there's a lot of page to search for informations!

So! Questions for you!

Is the XPENOBOOT 5.2 will work with DSM 6.0 and what is the best way to upgrade? Is it safe? I don't care if I have to downgrade, as long as my drives are safe.

Thanks! Since I have my two kids, I really lose a bunch of my knowledge and I want to keep up (at least a little)!

Have a nice weekdend!

yaaa4

Hi my friends!

Long time ago, I converted a Core 2 Duo to Xpenology natively (no VM). When DSM 5.2 went out, I upgraded it with no problem.

The motherboard is an Intel motherboard so the drivers are the common (i think), so I neverd had problem with it.

I used XPEnoboot_DS3615xs_5.2-5592.2 with an external USB drive and it works well.

So! in all the posts I see in this forum, it is always installed in a VM. Also, there's a lot of page to search for informations!

So! Questions for you!

Is the XPENOBOOT 5.2 will work with DSM 6.0 and what is the best way to upgrade? Is it safe? I don't care if I have to downgrade, as long as my drives are safe.

Thanks! Since I have my two kids, I really lose a bunch of my knowledge and I want to keep up (at least a little)!

Have a nice weekdend!

yaaa4

No it will not work with the old loader for dsm 5.2. You need to use the new one created by Jun for dsm 6.0. Depending whether your board is uefi or bios you will need to choose the appropriate loader. You should read the following thread carefully: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=20216

Hi my friends!

So! Questions for you!

Have a nice weekdend!

yaaa4

No it will not work with the old loader for dsm 5.2. You need to use the new one created by Jun for dsm 6.0. Depending whether your board is uefi or bios you will need to choose the appropriate loader. You should read the following thread carefully: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=20216

Thanks for the advice... but this thread is 69 pages... it's why I'm trying to get help somewherelse...

If you have any spare HDD, then try running DSM6 with new loader on your hardware first to check, if everything is working properly. :wink:

It's a really good Idea. In fact, I have a "spare" core 2 duo that I keep for spare parts for my NAS (exacly the same board and CPU). Maybe I could use it to test BUT I think I don't have any spare SATA HDD... I'll try to borrow!

I'm a little busy this week, I'll try to catch up this weekend.

Have a nice week!

yaaa4