XPEnology Community

Install DSM on MAG B560m mortar motherboard

youzhixiaoji

Question

5 answers to this question

Do you want to use the older loaders for DSM 6.x.x or would you be inclined to use the loader for DSM 7.x.x?

Your hardware is new enough to build DSM7 with the new features. 

My motherboard has a 9th gen Intel processor and a dual port Realtek 8125. I have DS918+ installed and works like a charm.

I just tried the loaders of DSM 6 but failed.

what is your motherboard type?

I can't find dsm station even I add a pci-e intel network card i210。

Firs, I disable the 8125b and enable i210,

Second, I use only 8125b.

Unfortunately, both of the method faild.

Maybe I should try to buli DSM 7.

Is there a reason you need to use DSM6?

If not, DSM 7 would be a better fit for your newer hardware.

I have a Gigabyte B365M DS3H motherboard

Core i7 9700 processor,

16gb DDR4 2666 RAM

4 x 4tb Seagate IronWolf hard drives

Realtek 8125 dual port NIC

Which platform are you trying to build? DS3615, 3617, 918, ...?

How many hard drives are you considering using?

1 hour ago, rojoone2 said:

Is there a reason you need to use DSM6?

If not, DSM 7 would be a better fit for your newer hardware.

I have a Gigabyte B365M DS3H motherboard

Core i7 9700 processor,

16gb DDR4 2666 RAM

4 x 4tb Seagate IronWolf hard drives

Realtek 8125 dual port NIC

Which platform are you trying to build? DS3615, 3617, 918, ...?

How many hard drives are you considering using?

I have tried DS918 and DS3615.

First i have confirm the hardware limit. My cpu is i5-10400T,  12 theards , only DS3615 is OK.

Then I burn the 1.04b loader to usb driver but failed.

Other hardward

RAM: 8G*2 DDR4 2666

8T*4 WD HC320 hard drivers

512G M.2 Nvme SSD for cache

Motherboard NIC Realtek 8125

Pci-e NIC intel i210

After several failures on DSM6, I give up and use truenas instead.

Maybe I should consider using DSM7 because DSM is easy to use.

I read many many knowledge about the install, the possible reanson is the msi motherboard is not suitable.

Have a look at this thread to get a better understanding of the TCRP build process:

For DS 918+ try these commands:

./rploader.sh update                                                                                                                                      

./rploader.sh fullupgrade                                                                                                                                  

./rploader.sh serialgen DS918+ realmac                                                                                                              

./rploader.sh identifyusb                                                                                                                         

./rploader.sh satamap                                                                                                                                       .

./rploader.sh ext apollolake-7.1.0-42661 add https://github.com/pocopico/redpill-load/raw/master/redpill-misc/rpext-index.json

./rploader.sh ext apollolake-7.1.0-42661 add https://raw.githubusercontent.com/pocopico/rp-ext/master/r8152/rpext-index.json

./rploader.sh backup

./rploader.sh build apollolake-7.1.0-42661

Don't bother with DS316xs on your hardware. DS3622xs+ would be a better choice:

./rploader.sh update                                                                                                                                      

./rploader.sh fullupgrade                                                                                                                                  

./rploader.sh serialgen DS3622xs+ realmac                                                                                                              

./rploader.sh identifyusb                                                                                                                         

./rploader.sh satamap                                                                                                                                       .

./rploader.sh ext broadwellnk-7.1.0-42661 add https://github.com/pocopico/redpill-load/raw/master/redpill-misc/rpext-index.json

./rploader.sh ext broadwellnk-7.1.0-42661 add https://raw.githubusercontent.com/pocopico/rp-ext/master/r8152/rpext-index.json

./rploader.sh backup

./rploader.sh build broadwellnk-7.1.0-42661

If you have already have TrueNAS installed use a spare disk (if you have one) to build your Synology nas. 

Use a basic configuration as possible without the Intel NIC and NVMe SSD.