XPEnology Community

[DSM 7.x][ASRock J4205]The installation is freezing on "Starting kernel with USB boot"

Hello,
I've created an installation USB stick by following the 

guide.
After executing 

exitcheck.sh reboot

my installation stops on "Starting kernel with USB boot". I've tried with several apollolake build but the result is the same. Could someone advice how to troubleshoot the installation?

photo_2022-07-02_22-08-46.jpg

Edited by Marcus6
tags and photo were added

2 минуты назад, rojoone2 сказал:

Have you tried to find your nas using find.synology.com or the assistant?
There is not much displayed after the USB, VERBOSE screen.

Can you list what hardware you are using?

Yes, and it failed to find anything.

I've also searched for the video with starting xpenology redpill dsm 7+ and there is some additional messages after "starting kernel".

I also have dsm 6.2 on this hardware and it loads without any issues with the other usb stick.

As for the hardware I'm using, it's 

- asrock j4205 motherboard with built-in processor

- 16gb memory Ripjaws f3-1600C9D-16GRSL

- wd 2Tb red nas

- seagate ironwolf 4Tb

- 300w power

Nothing special.

Edited by Marcus6

You may need to add the driver for the Realtek NIC:

./rploader.sh ext broadwellnk-7.0.1-42218 add https://raw.githubusercontent.com/pocopico/rp-ext/master/r8101/rpext-index.json

Also make sure you are using the correct loader and your motherboard is configured for the same boot mode: UEFI or BIOS

Enable “hot swap” in the bios for your hard drives.

after you add the driver or make any modifications to the loader, you have to do the build command again.

1 час назад, Matheus сказал:

Hi friend, did you manage to solve it? I'm having the same problem, if solved, could you share a solution please.

Hi, not yet. I was forced to move to another city because of war and currently don't have the physical keyboard to perform bios configuration. I'll continue with attempts as soon as I get all the needed stuff.

Please add your comments if you'll be able to solve it earlier.

В 03.07.2022 в 15:27, rojoone2 сказал:

Sorry.. that should have been:

./rploader.sh ext apollolake-7.0.1-42218 add https://raw.githubusercontent.com/pocopico/rp-ext/master/r8101/rpext-index.json

Still no luck, @rojoone2

I've

- rebuild usb stick with uefi image

- enabled hot plug for hdd in bios

- added extension for the network card 

Booting stops on the same moment, no indication on usb or hdd, nothing found with finds.synology.com

Is there any way to turn on detailed verbose mode, to understand on what step it fails?

@rojoone2 @Matheus

I was able to see my NAS via  finds.synology.com after adding extension for the network card and building with the manual flag:

./rploader.sh build apollolake-7.1.0-42661 manual

Thanks a lot for your support!
I still not able to move further to the privacy confirmation, but it should be another story. This topic could be closed.

A couple of tips for the ones who will make the installation of DSM 7 to the same motherboard:

- add manual network card extension and build with "manual" flag

- configure bios: enable hot plug, disable C-states and s. I've also disabled all the strange options in which I was not sure

- while DSM installation with .PAT file make sure you are using complete installation file (300+ MB) and not just a patch file (20-60 MB)

Good luck

• Like 1

Additionally,
4. If you stuck in circle restoring in the web interface (loop) - try to re-build your USB stick with the new serial. Seems like this will be considered as a transfer to another NAS and initiate the installation again.

5. If you have several HDDs installed for the UPGRADE from the previous DSM version - make it work with the single one and then hotplug other in working system. After that new plugged HDD could be initialized in Storage Pool in the web interface.

6. Be careful with updates, I was able easily to install <42661 with included update 1 > however <update 2> and <update 3> gave no luck. So I'll continue living with update 1.

Like, subscribe to the channel if this information was useful to you :D

52 minutes ago, Marcus6 said:

Additionally,
4. If you stuck in circle restoring in the web interface (loop) - try to re-build your USB stick with the new serial. Seems like this will be considered as a transfer to another NAS and initiate the installation again.

5. If you have several HDDs installed for the UPGRADE from the previous DSM version - make it work with the single one and then hotplug other in working system. After that new plugged HDD could be initialized in Storage Pool in the web interface.

6. Be careful with updates, I was able easily to install <42661 with included update 1 > however <update 2> and <update 3> gave no luck. So I'll continue living with update 1.

Like, subscribe to the channel if this information was useful to you :D

Update from the GUI within Synology from 7.1.0-42661 U1 to U3

Then reboot, drop into TCRP and go with the following:

./rploader.sh update

./rploader.sh fullupgrade

./rploader.sh postupdate apollolake-7.1.0-42661

• Thanks 1

1 час назад, rojoone2 сказал:

Update from the GUI within Synology from 7.1.0-42661 U1 to U3

Then reboot, drop into TCRP and go with the following:

./rploader.sh update

./rploader.sh postupdate apollolake-7.1.0-42661

Should the updates be installed in chain upd1>upd2>upd3? Or the upd3 already contains all previous?

On 7/18/2022 at 5:07 PM, rojoone2 said:

You can go directly to update 3.

Bruh ! i signed up to say this THANK YOU for tips

Works great so far @ 

Asrock Q1900B-ITX

i used

./rploader.sh update

./rploader.sh satamap

./rploader.sh identifyusb now

./rploader.sh build apollolake-7.1.0-42661

I WOULD DIGITALLY HUG YOU ! i spent "days" figuring this bs out until this