XPEnology Community

DSM7 Compatible SATA PCIe Controller

YangVI

Question

Hi! I want to move my virtual XPEnology proxmox VM from DSM 6.2 to 7.1.

I want to make a really solid install, then I decide to pass through full SATA Controller than disks one by one because they aren't really controlled by the VM in this case (they appear as QUEMU HARDISK).

So, I just want to know which PCIe controller would I need to buy, it should be 6 ports if possible and, of course, DSM 7 compatible.

Thanks in advance

4 answers to this question

22 minutes ago, YangVI said:

It is still the good one ? 

the picture shows a pcie 1x card (now?), if thats real then only one pcie lane out of two would be used and thats not desirable

the one i have looks the same but has a pcie 4x connector (as there is no 2x defined in the standard - at least not as a slot, but i've also seen cards with a 2x connector cards)

the pcb has no vendor but a number marking PCE6SAT-A01, VER006S

mine is like this

https://www.amazon.de/-/en/BEYIMEI-Support-Devices-Distribution-ASM1166-PCI-4X-6SATA/dp/B08DFK4LZ7/

image.png.e8da9e3e601321a0d715e530d554286d.png

and i did only test it briefly, its laying around for over a year as i was using jmb585/582 (and a older pcie 1x marvell) in my normal systems

so i cant say much about it other then it worked for testing with a few different disks but i guess by now there should be more reports about asm1166 based cards, so you should use a search engine to get some more information

2 hours ago, YangVI said:

Hi! I want to move my virtual XPEnology proxmox VM from DSM 6.2 to 7.1.

I want to make a really solid install, then I decide to pass through full SATA Controller than disks one by one because they aren't really controlled by the VM in this case (they appear as QUEMU HARDISK).

So, I just want to know which PCIe controller would I need to buy, it should be 6 ports if possible and, of course, DSM 7 compatible.

i usually suggest pcie 3.0 capable ahci controller like jmb585 or asm1166 because of the double bandwidth of pcie 3.0 and the limit of all there (cheaper) controllers to two pcie lanes

i use jmb585 (with dsm 6.2.3) without any problems but as can be seen here (link below), there might be some trouble with jmb585 as synology has some special fixes build into dsm 7.x for that one (needs further inspection, couls still be some special problem of the single system)

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/63475-dsm-7-proxmox-hdd-hibernation-issue/#comment-288716