XPEnology Community

SHR-1 and SSD cache with no data protection - how reliable?

SergeS

Question

I have four drives shr-1 volume (of course, with data protection) and one drive SSD cache (of course, with NO data protection, read-only).

I know, in case of any single drive of shr-1 volume will crash I will not lose any data, that is what data protection is.

But what gonna happen if my SSD read-only cache drive crashed? Will I loose data on the volume? I believe not, but I would like to get some confirmation :-).

2 answers to this question

1 hour ago, SergeS said:

But what gonna happen if my SSD read-only cache drive crashed? Will I loose data on the volume? I believe not, but I would like to get some confirmation :-).

i would suggest to check syno's own knowledge base for that

if dsm let's you activate a ssd read cache with just one disk then its expected behavior to not loose any data if the cache ssd fails, anything else would be ridiculous

read cache would even need to do more then that because its also important to make sure that the cache content is recent, if not you might read old data from cache, change it and overwrite newer data on the volume - and imho thats the point where your risk is with read cache

On 7/1/2022 at 12:32 PM, IG-88 said:

i would suggest to check syno's own knowledge base for that

if dsm let's you activate a ssd read cache with just one disk then its expected behavior to not loose any data if the cache ssd fails, anything else would be ridiculous

read cache would even need to do more then that because its also important to make sure that the cache content is recent, if not you might read old data from cache, change it and overwrite newer data on the volume - and imho thats the point where your risk is with read cache

I've understand your logic, agreed with it. But I would like to hear some real experience from people who really had this situation.