XPEnology Community

new synology platforms in 2022 - some thoughts

IG-88

new platforms:
epyc7002 - max CPU threads 24 (Epyc has up to 128 to offer), no new hardware seen yet?

r1000 - max CPU threads 16, RS422+, AMD Ryzen R1600

broadwellnkv2 - max CPU threads 24, FS3410, Intel Xeon D-1541, 8-core, not sure why splitting to a new v2 platform from broadwellnk

edit: icelaked is also new
whats not to be seen is a new intel base replacement for 920+/dva1622, like with J6413/J6426 (elkhart lake) -> no new i915 driver from synology to have 11th/12th gen intel qsv support

new r1000 and epyc7002 seem to show that synology goes further to AMD bases systems

Edited by IG-88
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for the update IG-88. I'd be interested to see if Photos app would work with "face recognition" feature on AMD systems. I love AMD systems but I think I need an Intel system to get that feature to work or am I wrong?

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/8/2022 at 12:33 AM, wessu said:

if Photos app would work with "face recognition" feature on AMD systems. I love AMD systems but I think I need an Intel system to get that feature to work or am I wrong?

thats something synology should be answering in its spec's (for amd based units) or knowledge base

as xpenology users we are not excluded from syno's web resources as long as its a generic function (things like adding nvidia support to 3615/3617 as done with 6.2.3 will not be covered by syno's kb)

Edited by IG-88
  • Like 1

On 7/22/2022 at 8:48 AM, yanjun said:

Where can I see this information, for example, Synology introduced epyc7002?

https://archive.synology.com/download/ToolChain/toolchain/7.1-42661

image.thumb.png.ec1ada2f9892f56cf67856d389497742.png

edit: there is little more in the config files

EPYC7002 = AMD EPYC Embedded 7002

https://www.amd.com/en/processors/embedded-epyc-7002-series

from kernel config CONFIG_NR_CPUS=24, so its a 12 core unit and there seems to be ony one with 12 cores from AMD

AMD EPYC Embedded 7272,     max. 3.2GHz, base 2.9GHz, 120W

ICELAKED = Intel Icelake-D

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/platforms/details/ice-lake-d.html

both look like as for syno business units

so nothing new as a replacement for 920+ (intel qsv support)

but at least kernel 5.10.55 will  add intel igc support (2.5Gbit nic) and if the "old" units get kernel 5.10 (witn dsm 7.2?) we will have better intel qsv support

Edited by IG-88

• 1 month later...

I'm a newbie to Xpenology.  In fact, I haven't even got it installed yet because it appears that my hardware needs the updated intel driver which maybe we'll get with the 5.10 kernel.  Whenever I tried to install (a couple months ago) the Synology Assistant could not find my server - but no other errors were showing up.  A few people elsewhere on this forum helped troubleshoot the most likely cause was that my intel NIC chipset was not getting a proper driver.

My question is: what comes next?  What is the general chain of events that need to happen before this new Synology kernel gets built/referenced from the tiny redpill loader?

Thanks!

Andy

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/2/2022 at 2:53 AM, Andy in Oregon said:

What is the general chain of events that need to happen before this new Synology kernel gets built/referenced from the tiny redpill loader?

there seems to be no unit yet released based on that epyc7002, might happen later this year, maybe with with dsm 7.2?

synology usually does not release the kernel for the recent dsm version (atm 7.1, kernel source from syno only for 7.0 available) so we dont expect the syno kernel source for 5.x available soon but nic drivers should be possible to build from the vanilla kernel.org source

so IF there is a dsm *.pat file for a epyc7002 (released) unit available the repill loader could be extended to support that unit (if there are no new obstacles in terms of protection) - its just guessing from how things where going the last years but at least its kind of a logical chain how things might work out

as a time frame (at best) i would not expect anything usable before december

anyone in need of kernel 5.x now might consider open media vault or any other nas system out there

its possible to set up a xpenology dsm system the normal way  (to be ready when kernel 5.x is available) and then boot that system with a different boot media using OMV, the raid set of dsm should be usable with omv (even SHR sets should work) and its possible to boot dsm at any time by removing the omv boot media (my use case is the other way around, omv is my fallback if dsm cant be used anymore, https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/42793-hp-gen8-dsm-623-25426-update-3-failed/?do=findComment&comment=200475) - kind of a  xpenology ready OMV nas system (dsm uses a 2GB and 2.4GB partition on every disk as raid1 for system and swap and installing dsm before using it with omv makes shure there is everything in place to run dsm later without the need changing anything on the disks as dsm 7.2(?) later will install on the already present system partition and leave the raid set untouched - but a backup of the data on the raid would be good, just in case)

at least there are some rumors about "the other" kernel 5.x based unit - the rtd1619

https://nascompares.com/rumour/synology-ds423-4-bay-nas-drive-rumour-mill/

"he architecture of which is incredibly likely to be for the DS223j, DS223 and DS423:"

also interesting is the rumored 923+, most likely not a rtd1619 but also surly not a epyc7002

maybe the 923+ will be the icelake we have seen in the kernel config, maybe this cpu?

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/197122/intel-core-i31000g1-processor-4m-cache-up-to-3-20-ghz.html

its tdp might fit the power consumption of a nas but the price point might be a problem

but a r1000 base is also possible but we have not seen anything from synology using the amd gpu's for transcoding (and the plus in the name indicates that feature)